Cornwall Football Forum

FA CUP &FA VASE REFUSALS

The main reason for the refusal is to do with ground standards and in the vast majority of cases it is to do with toilet facilities in the players and referees dressing rooms.

Clubs who have been accepted are :

Bodmin Town

Bovey Tracey

Crediton United

Cullompton Rangers

Exmouth Town

Plymouth Parkway

Saltash United

St Austell

St Blazey

Tavistock

Wadebridge Town

In the cases of Porthleven the SWPL Secretary has an outstanding query of the refusal as their ground records do not tally with the FA's records.

The full list of clubs refused is :

Camelford

Dartmouth

Falmouth Town

Ivybridge Town

Launceston

Liskeard Athletic

Newton Abbot Spurs

Newquay

Penzance

Porthleven (Provisional)

Torpoint Athletic

Witheridge

Gutted for the clubs who have been refused entry. Some of those clubs have great history in the FA competitions over the years and flown the flag for the duchy.

A real kick in the teeth for cornish football all because the ref can't have a shite in peace lol !!!!

Im sure there could be some financial implications too such as loss of potential prize money, which ironically could have been used to improve facilities

Newquay were informed by those who know about these things, that a seasons grace would be given by the FA, it appears the FA have gone against that information.

To say we are gutted in an understatement, the ladder has been well and truly pulled up. Even if Newquay were to get the loo that is required in each changing room, there is now no guarantee of acceptance next season as numbers are being limited in both the Vase and FA Cup.

I'm sure that many other clubs will feel the same, especially those who may hope of a decent FA Cup run and the prize money and additional interest locally that it generates.

Thanks FA, the football family at the lower end of the Pyramid have been well and truly shat on.

I take it these refusal's apply only to FA Cup and not FA Vase ??? .as vase games only need a H ground grading.

The SWPL have used the Sept 15th date for league fixtures for the likes of clubs above who have been refused entry and so by that I read it that they have been excluded from both

From the SWPL Dorum "The Premier changes are mainly bringing games forward from the 2nd half of the season :

Friday 14th Sept

Premier

LAUNCESTON v CAMELFORD (Was 23rd Feb)

Saturday 15th Sept

Premier

DARTMOUTH v LISKEARD (Was 19th Sept, avoids midweek away game)

NEWQUAY v PENZANCE (Was 16th Feb which is also CSC QF date)

TORPOINT v IVYBRIDGE (Was 23rd March)

WITHERIDGE v FALMOUTH (Was 2nd March)"

One of the requirements (the main one) is to have Loos in each of the home, away and refs rooms, I have been told by someone who played at St Austell late last season (after 31st March) that the Away changing did NOT have a loo at that time.

How have the FA come to the decision of allowing one club entry to the FA Vase, but not another with similar facilities ? I'm not knocking St Austell here, they have done well in upgrading Poltair, but the FA must apply the rules evenly across the clubs and indeed leagues.

Newquay were informed by those who know about these things, that a seasons grace would be given by the FA, it appears the FA have gone against that information.

To say we are gutted in an understatement, the ladder has been well and truly pulled up. Even if Newquay were to get the loo that is required in each changing room, there is now no guarantee of acceptance next season as numbers are being limited in both the Vase and FA Cup.

I'm sure that many other clubs will feel the same, especially those who may hope of a decent FA Cup run and the prize money and additional interest locally that it generates.

Thanks FA, the football family at the lower end of the Pyramid have been well and truly shat on.

Agree with a lot of that.

Have been in touch with League officials since the announcement, and they are extremely disappointed and as frustrated as we all are.

Believe me they put a lot of time and effort into attempting to secure maximum SWPL representation.

You have to wonder what the FA actually thinks of the Vase/grassroots when they have cut the prize money for the last couple of seasons and are limiting numbers able to enter.

Time for the full time employees of our County FA to step up to the plate and assist/support their member clubs.

Fantastic news to see St Blazey are still the F.A cup after all the years of entering the competition.

Great news all round and a exciting future ahead.

Keep it green.

Still worth baring in mind if that there is an over subscription of teams then it comes down to last seasons points tally to who makes the final draw.

Fantastic news to see St Blazey are still the F.A cup after all the years of entering the competition.

Great news all round and a exciting future ahead.

Keep it green.

Paul I fear you have not read Phil Hiscox post on the SWPL forum properly.

If this happens i'm afraid St Blazey will have got nowhere near enough points last season to enter.

Taken from SWPL:

Slight clarification of those that have been accepted - They have all been accepted for the FA Vase.

As regards the FA Cup - St Austell, Crediton, Exmouth & Wadebridge did not enter, they are FA Vase only.

The others - Bodmin, Bovey Tracey, Cullompton, Parkway, Saltash, St Blazey & Tavistock have all entered the FA Vase AND the FA Cup - How many of the 7 will make the draw will depend on the FA, they may if they have too many clubs entered with the right grounds still refuse clubs from the FA Cup based on last seasons points per game ratios.

I did read that but have to be confident with so many not included that the chances of it coming down to league places is a lot smaller. Only a couple weeks to wait and see. I cant believe so many are turned down regarding a toilet. Cue the toilet humour.

It's not gonna work like that though Paul. The FA are trimming the number of teams they allow to enter.

Our changing rooms are knocked all about at the moment so before the season starts there will be a toilet in both changing rooms, two referee rooms (one for males and one for females as well as a referee's only toilet.

Really annoyed about the had to be done by 31st March crap. How the hell are you meant to knock your changing rooms about during the season when they are being used at least once a week.

We have spent thousands of pounds again this summer what with building the new seated stand as well as renovating the changing rooms only to be shit on by Soho Square.

The FA should hang their heads in shame.

Its the same with Camelford NDD, we have got everything in place to get the lights up (which will be up shortly i believe) and they have said that we had to have them in by march. What would happen if we had said we couldn't fixtures between date a and date b during the season because the lights were going up!! wouldn't have gone down well i'm sure. can see why clubs are content to sit where they are really. for a club like camelford the fa vase was going to be a new chapter in the clubs history. Clubs like camelford who have put a massive amount of time and money investing in new facilities should be rewarded not told beacuse it wasn't done by this date your not allowed to enter.

I have said several times over the last couple of seasons that if Cornish teams don't show ambition i.e taking promotion to level 5 when in a position to do so the FA will take away the opportunity, this is an easy way to implement their scheme. I bet if a couple of Cornish teams were in the Western League the toilet issue would be flushed down the pan. Next FA move, must have a fully qualified bum wiper in the refs changing room or your league will be downgraded.

It is disappointing to see so many of the stalwart Devon and Cornwall clubs missing out however, clubs are informed what the requirements are to progress/remain where you are, failure to meet those requirements have dire results, the Football Association or those officials in the local county F.A's should not be criticised when clubs ignore/fail to get on with the needs for acceptable entry.

I can refer to many postings on these threads about Truro City not meeting the improved requirements during their meteororic rise up the Pyramid, each season brought new challenges but at no time did we hear the club complain that they could not meet those requirements, they got on with it and met the deadlines set by the powers that be.

It is ironic that some of the clubs supported by those who posted as if they wanted City to fail now find their clubs victims of the system. There are times that what is wished for for other clubs has a habit of turning around and biting you on the bum.

Blame has to lie with lack of ambition, complacency within or both.

As usual it's the fans who will suffer, they should ask those running those clubs what the hell they have been/not been doing to land their clubs in the position they find themselves. Could it be time for some faces to move over therefore, vacating a space for those who care.

Thanks Mountaineer, now try reading the posts again.

Club were told earlier this year, that they had until 31st March 2013 to get the required works done.

Clubs were told this would not affect entry to the FA Vase for 2012-13.

The FA have changed there minds and gone back to the original date of 31st March 2012 as the deadline for works to be carried out.

At what point did SWPL clubs do wrong ? I would worry about the state of Truro City before knocking clubs run by hard working volunteers.

Oh dear, The Judge marooned somewhere off Newquay after the wind taken out of his sails.

Sorry Nemesis that you can't take it as well as dishing it out.

As a local football supporter, I am concerned not only for my club, but all clubs in the area. I bemoaned the fact that the SWPL 'gave up' FA Cup places when the new league was formed and the East & West Divs clubs were cast adrift (not that you were around then, City were still small fry and the bandwagon hadn't yet passed High Wycombe).

As you can see from the postings above, clubs are now up in arms that the FA have screwed over the smaller clubs again. There is still a lot of folk down here who care passionately about local football, some may begin to wonder why they bother when the powers that be at Wembley make it harder each year just to get by. It seems to me, that unless a small club can afford to employ a full time grants & funding officer, they will be forced to go back to a Cornish (or Devon) Senior League.

I fear for those clubs who have tried to comply, but find they are just treading water. The FA will argue that they are trying to raise standards, but like the Government, they are trying to to do everything too quickly without realising that folk cannot keep up with the pace of change, or the cost.

So thanks again for your sympathies Mountaineer, they are much appreciated by all those involved in real local football.

Nemesis, How far down the pecking order should the FA go with the FA Cup, level 10 SW Peninsula Premier League (non-league level 6) is surely far enough.

The FA cup/Vase games rarely create interest beyond the preliminary stages however they take up fixture space that interferes with the league programme, when those league games are due to be played we are deep into winter, that leads to cancellations and a backlog of games to be squeezed in at the end of the season, perhaps it would lead to a more exciting season to do away with unnecessary preliminaries at the beginning of the season and extend the play off formula further down the order, they keep the season alive until the very end.

Regarding clubs being able to afford change, how is it they can afford to pay players to compete at a level where remuneration for playing a sport they enjoy appears to leave clubs in a ball and chain situation (Debt). With many players in levels 4/5 receiving no payment the question has to be asked why pay in levels 6 and 7 when lack of cash is a major factor.

I can assure you I too involve myself in local sport, although the coaching/managing duties went with age, my finger is still on the pulse.

You talk as if the local community down there are enthusiastic about football but the average attendances at SW Peninsula matches numbers approximately 60 per game, you don't need to employ an accountant to tell you that does not generate sufficient funds to run a football club, however someone is needed to inform/pay HMRC the tax for those players being paid, hardly worth the hassle if it puts the clubs in jeopardy.

I know your stock answer could be Truro City because local folklore says they were overpaid when they started their journey, if they took the normal stance taken by Cornish clubs and turned down promotion I would be against it however, to get up the Pyramid investment was needed and hopefully the means justified the end.

It is unusual for the FA to move the goalposts, their deadlines are normally set in concrete, has some communication gone astray locally at County or club level.

Nemesis, How far down the pecking order should the FA go with the FA Cup, level 10 SW Peninsula Premier League (non-league level 6) is surely far enough.

The FA cup/Vase games rarely create interest beyond the preliminary stages however they take up fixture space that interferes with the league programme, when those league games are due to be played we are deep into winter, that leads to cancellations and a backlog of games to be squeezed in at the end of the season, perhaps it would lead to a more exciting season to do away with unnecessary preliminaries at the beginning of the season and extend the play off formula further down the order, they keep the season alive until the very end.

Regarding clubs being able to afford change, how is it they can afford to pay players to compete at a level where remuneration for playing a sport they enjoy appears to leave clubs in a ball and chain situation (Debt). With many players in levels 4/5 receiving no payment the question has to be asked why pay in levels 6 and 7 when lack of cash is a major factor.

I can assure you I too involve myself in local sport, although the coaching/managing duties went with age, my finger is still on the pulse.

You talk as if the local community down there are enthusiastic about football but the average attendances at SW Peninsula matches numbers approximately 60 per game, you don't need to employ an accountant to tell you that does not generate sufficient funds to run a football club, however someone is needed to inform/pay HMRC the tax for those players being paid, hardly worth the hassle if it puts the clubs in jeopardy.

I know your stock answer could be Truro City because local folklore says they were overpaid when they started their journey, if they took the normal stance taken by Cornish clubs and turned down promotion I would be against it however, to get up the Pyramid investment was needed and hopefully the means justified the end.

It is unusual for the FA to move the goalposts, their deadlines are normally set in concrete, has some communication gone astray locally at County or club level.

Mountaineer Nemesis is right one only needs to read your Comments when Truro City/ Mr Heaney are criticised, you do not like it,

now you have the cheek to have a go at our Clubs, I am quit happy to recieve fair comments but not from someone who is so anti SWPL,

you always go on that unlike Truro City SWPL clubs Are not willing to move up the Leagues, but it has been said many times on this Forum Where would Truro city be without Mr Heaney's Money ? it is quite possible that some of the clubs just cannot afford the money to carry out these improvements, Also the Country is in a financial mess at the moment, so it may take even longer before the money starts to flow again,

Hammers, :c::mellow: :c:

I have a question......

Why should Cornish clubs get places for all step 6 clubs and some in step 7?

This doesn't happen in the rest of the country.

Newquay have been promoted from a step 7 league, if this had happened in Gloucestershire, any side that has been promoted from the glos county league (step 7) to the Hellenic league 1 west (step 6) would not get entry to the FA Cup.

The truth of the matter is, there are only so many places available and they have to be allocated somehow.,...

My own step 6 Hellenic league side are waiting to find out if we have made it in, of we don't the only people we have to blame are ourselves for not finishing high enough up the league.

The issue of paying players/money being tight:

If a club is to complain about not being able to afford things then the first expense that should go is players wages....... The players would still want to play football do wouldn't all leave, there are only so many players required by the teams that still pay so it would be possible to put together a competitive side.

The travelling, certainly in 1 west is no worse than a lot of teams make in the Hellenic league, most of which in div 1 are unpaid players.

Exactly stuart, once the money has been pumped into the clubs it can then progress without any excuses . Let's face it, most players want to play for the clubs with the best facilities , pitches, crowds etc.... Although there are a few that of course chase the paper.

With the money leaked to players over the years every club in Cornwall could have had the best facilities now. I think the County has been treated generously over the years by The F.A.and maybe time we faced up to reality.

And St.Blazey were one of the biggest "leakers" for many years

Tony's point taken, can't deny it. The lesson to learn, if not already realised, is that you shouldn't put all available cash onto the field. To take advantage of funding a club is usually required to put up some resource in the form of cash/value in kind/partners and generally it is shortage of ready money that holds back development.There is always something that needs doing around a club but not always the funds to do it. Of course keen support and willing hands can help achieve but it always comes back to cash.

Yea, The Bodmin Towns, Saltshes, Parkway, Falmouths etc, the players know who the are. The players are not intrested in the club just their wage packet at the end of each game

I think you'll find that Bodmin are by no means big payers. The majority of the players are all on the same, which is no more than any of the other average paying clubs

But look at the facilities built up in that time at blazey..

Agreed - sometimes you need to invest in the team to bring success which can then help breed success and imporvements off the pitch and behind the scenes....a bit of a chicken and egg situation and a fine balancing act.

Tony's point taken, can't deny it. The lesson to learn, if not already realised, is that you shouldn't put all available cash onto the field. To take advantage of funding a club is usually required to put up some resource in the form of cash/value in kind/partners and generally it is shortage of ready money that holds back development.There is always something that needs doing around a club but not always the funds to do it. Of course keen support and willing hands can help achieve but it always comes back to cash.

Has the lesson been learnt down your way though Chairman as its common knowledge that cash was splashed on players once again during last season at St Blazey. And the players who received the Cash splash have already moved on by all accounts!!

Hammers, I have not mentioned any clubs so cannot be accused of having a go at any in particular, my beef is with the situation that has been allowed to develop whereby players are paid to play below average football in Pyramid terms.

In my personal life I have kept clear of debt, that has been achieved by only spending what I can afford, surely football clubs should do the same, most clubs in the country are run into the ground financially by people who should know better.

Sponsorship money often finds it's way into players pockets, money that could be better spent on facilities so clubs maintain/improve their status. Not players who often eye pastures new.

When the Amateur Cup was done away with two new competitions came into being so we had the FA Cup for the big boys and other long established clubs, the FA Trophy was introduced for the recognised part-time/top Amateur clubs, the FA Vase came into being as a substitute for the old Amateur Cup for clubs occupying Non-League levels 5 and below on the assumption that all those clubs played a standard of football that would not command payment of players. Football has moved on, improvements have been made, you don't stop a race to allow others to catch up then restart it when they have done so. If clubs are falling behind of the required standard they shouldn't hold back those clubs who do.

Blaming others for their own failings is common at many clubs - It must be sole destroying for those who work so hard to raise club funds to see them spent on players instead of future club stability.

I cannot see how anything I have posted could be detrimental to anyone, there are times the truth hurts. I am in no way anti SWPL but clubs should compete in competitions to which they are best suited and the F.A knows best.

Well done Porthleven - Good luck in the FA Vase.

Those a lot older than myself who were around during and even before the 50's will tell you about clubs in Cornwall being 'professional'.

With crowds in the thousands turning up for just about any game played anywhere in the County, money was sloshing around, the stories of cash stuffed in boots is well known, jobs found for players moving down from say Plymouth or beyond and lumps of steak dished out by local butchers etc.

It is a historic fact, that Cornish clubs paid players more than the average man in the street earned. Thankfully the payments dropped in the 60's but only as the fans drifted away, Cornwall had found the 'new' industry of tourism and cashed in rather than watching football. Payments had traditionally been made and traditions are a tough thing to break. Payments carried on and still do even down to Combo level, there is only one way to stop the rot, make it illegal for an 'amateur' club to pay 'expenses'

The FA have to force clubs into one of 3 positions, Pro, Semi-Pro and Amateur.If clubs show on their accounts 'players expenses' or similar, then they should be classed as Semi-Pro and treated accordingly.

Truro City more recently raised the bar again but at what cost ? Probably more than money in their case but the reality is, the players they employ are no better than those who play down here for cash. They too will move on if they get a better offer, so lectures from City fans can be ignored on that point.

The cash v facilities point is a good one, had clubs not paid for players over the last 50 years or so, would those players who were around then perhaps not found alternative 'employment' on a Saturday and played football for fun with a pub team on a sunday ? Would Chairmen around the County have invested in Stadia, well a lot did, Newquay in the 80's built the Clubhouse, changing rooms and floodlights, as did quite a few others around that time. No FA funding or lottery grants in those days.

So back to the points raised. Historically SWP clubs were given FA Cup places, that changed with the new SWPL and only Prem club in the top positions qualify. The FA Vase is for clubs at steps 5-7, the lowest steps of the 'pyramid' so why are the FA forcing expensive changes on clubs that cannot afford them, even with various grants.

The gripe that Newquay have is the 12 months grace period has been snatched away. We were encouraged to apply for the FA Vase, indeed we thought it a formality that we would be accepted, I'm sure Torpoint, Camelford, Penzance and others have their own stories.

If the FA keep moving the goal posts, we may as well all go and watch overpaid Rugby players at our local clubs, just as some are doing now by watching professional cricketers, imported from overseas, playing village games in the County.

Local footy, don't you just love it !

Just looking at the list of clubs accepted again, is it not the case that for entry to the FA Vase and FA Cup, clubs must have hardstanding on 3 sides of grounds ? Do all the others have these ? My memory says that Bodmin certainly do not, perhaps Tavistock have now but didn't last time I visited. What is it like in Devon ? I know nothing of Cully, Exmouth and Bovey.

Just asking before anyone thinks I'm being awkward, The FA wouldn't pick and choose which rules to apply and which to ignore, would they ?

Nemesis,

If you go to 'the FA.com' website click on 'FA Cup'

then scroll down near the bottom of the page and click on 'Club Administration',

entry details are there for both FA Cup and FA Vase competitions,

after reading I think you will be more steamed up than you could be now.

The 31st March date for FA competition entry appears to be final, the various

dates mentioned in some postings appear to be shrouded in mystery.

There is also a link to ground grading requirements.

The FA are tightening up and it looks as if the days are not far away when the minnows have no claim to a FA Cup place.

I would of thought that all grounds must be enclosed.

I can think of one major SWPL club which lacks this.

Bodmin springs to mind:

The FA ground requirements for grade G state:

"1.4 Boundary of Ground

The ground must be enclosed by a permanent boundary. As a general rule, the minimum height, when

measured from outside the ground, should be 1.83 metres. "