Cornwall Football Forum

Game Off (Dave Gardner Trophy)

None of us Helston players have been informed of this? Is it a wind up? If so its very disrespectful towards Dave Gardner and his family. If its a case that Penzance can't raise a team then that's very embarrassing and they should do all they can to find the players

Dont think CTB is a wind up merchant Charlie

No wind up - it would appear neither managers nor players available!

Summer jobs plus Olympics didn't help either!

What for both sides or just Penzance? How many from Penzance are in the Olympics - don't think Liam Eddy made the syncro swimming team this year!!

Summer Jobs and Olympics! haha heard it all now. A senior club with TWO senior teams cant raise 11/12 players!!?? For a charity tournament! That is shocking, and they only decide this on the day of the tournament!?

Agree it's pretty poor. Penzance of course are only a one Senior team club now following last season's relegation

What for both sides or just Penzance? How many from Penzance are in the Olympics - don't think Liam Eddy made the syncro swimming team this year!!

Haha CLASS

Be nice if someone from Penzance came on and explained. Seems like a very poor excuse as already echo'd on here . . . . .

However, it can happen.

Dobwalls had to cancel one last season due to lack of numbers and miscalculation by Paul & I and when there is no 2nd team to plug the gaps it is difficult to draft in from elsewhere.

And only last week Liskeard cancelled their friendly with Callington at short notice and that was with squad of 16 available!!

I'm sure a simple explaination is just around the corner . . . . .

Regards.

Surely made the diving team he practiced enough last season lol

Apparently they only had 6 players of Peninsula standard - surely they could have found a few ringers to step in - seems they have lost sight of the real reason why the tournament goes ahead - to raise money in memory of a man who would have played in flip flops rather than a match be cancelled. I am sure Helston would not have minded playing a get together of the side. Perhaps the new management of Penzance should be shown some of the paper cutttings etc to see the type of man Dave was.

Ultimately it is the very deserving cause that has suffered and that is much bigger than any football match!!!!

Penzance AFC Facebook page yesterday quoted holidays and unavailability etc. However, it also stated that they are awaiting to see if the game can be played at a later date. I doubt very much if the Club will have wanted to call the game off, they are a generous and highly respected club.

From a supporters view, would you pay to watch a sham side get slaughtered, or two evenly matched sides battle it out ?. Perhaps a bigger crowd at a later date will bring in a bigger amount for charity.

It all boils down to the fact, that we have far too many 'Senior' sides in Cornwall and not enough 'quality' players to go around. Anyway, good luck to John Mead and the other hard working folk down at PZ.

Penzance AFC Facebook page yesterday quoted holidays and unavailability etc. However, it also stated that they are awaiting to see if the game can be played at a later date. I doubt very much if the Club will have wanted to call the game off, they are a generous and highly respected club.

From a supporters view, would you pay to watch a sham side get slaughtered, or two evenly matched sides battle it out ?. Perhaps a bigger crowd at a later date will bring in a bigger amount for charity.

It all boils down to the fact, that we have far too many 'Senior' sides in Cornwall and not enough 'quality' players to go around. Anyway, good luck to John Mead and the other hard working folk down at PZ.

with all this knowledge why wait untill 13;00 on the day of the game to cancell

Its for bloody charity at the end of the day - anybody who turns up to watch is there to support the charity not the football duh!!

Apparently they only had 6 players of Peninsula standard - surely they could have found a few ringers to step in - seems they have lost sight of the real reason why the tournament goes ahead - to raise money in memory of a man who would have played in flip flops rather than a match be cancelled. I am sure Helston would not have minded playing a get together of the side. Perhaps the new management of Penzance should be shown some of the paper cutttings etc to see the type of man Dave was.

Ultimately it is the very deserving cause that has suffered and that is much bigger than any football match!!!!

Exactly ! Dis-respectful to say the least.

This is one tournament where the trophy is totally irrelevant.

Maybe the answer is not to invite Penzance any more.

Perhaps scheduling it against the Olympics opening ceremony meant that neither set of players had a real appetite for the game...?

You can't be referring to Helston as not having a real appetite for the game as all but 2 of the named squad trained on Friday after the cancellation of the game.

Guest Monty

I realy dont think this is the time and place to slate a club like Penzance, Like they have said in a statement all of there first team fromlast season have let and they are finding it hard to recruit, They have quality coaches and the Club is second to none, But really having a friendly on a Friday night was never a good idea in the first place whether it was in a tournement or not.

I realy dont think this is the time and place to slate a club like Penzance, Like they have said in a statement all of there first team fromlast season have let and they are finding it hard to recruit, They have quality coaches and the Club is second to none, But really having a friendly on a Friday night was never a good idea in the first place whether it was in a tournement or not.

But this tournament has been running for several years and this seasons has been arranged for quite a few months so someone at the club knew it was coming up. Obviously the reason for the tournament has been lost on a lot of people sadly.

Guest Monty

And i think that should be enough of an embarrasment for the club. Just dont think its right to slate a great club like Penzance who are clearly having recruitment problems by fellow cornish people invovled with football, We should be supporting them. I just thought it was a wrong night to have a fixture.