Cornwall Football Forum

GAME OFF - Newquay Res v Wadebridge SWPL

Firstly, can I say that I fully understand that pre-season is a difficult time for teams and managers due to players being unavailable. However, I find it totally unacceptable and quite honestly very disrespectful when a club informs their opposition at 11.30am on the day of the game that they are unable to play due to a player shortage!!!!!! Yesterday, we had 9 players unavailable, and it would have been so much easier to have not honoured the game, which has been arranged for some time now. However, I asked my players to be honest with me on whether they we available and then once I knew how many I had, I managed to get a squad of the 2nd/3rd team players to ensure we were able to have a run out and to make sure we didn't let Wadebridge down!!!!!!!

All I would have liked is a phone call on the Friday informing us that Wadebridge we struggling for numbers and that they would let us know by a certain time, not 11.30am on the day of the game. We then could have made alternative arrangements to get another team up to play us.

It seems that many clubs are finding it difficult at the moment to attract/retain players due to all sorts of reasons but that is no reason for clubs to start showing disloyalty and not honouring fixtures. I think next year I will ask the club secretary to carefully think about who we play during pre-season.

On a final note, I bet most teams won't have a problem next week getting 11 players on the pitch when the season starts!!!!! Just a shame players dont commit to their clubs pre-season programme!!!!!

Apologies for the rant, but just a bit of common sense and common courtesy would have been appreciated.

Good luck to all for the season,

Regards,

Alan Yendell

Newquay Reserve Team Manager