Cornwall Football Forum

Tavistock v St Austell Wednesday 26 September

From what I hear sadly we're anything but at full strength - loads missing due to holiday, honeymoon, injury and work. Can't make the game myself but fingers crossed that despite everything we can get a result to continue our decent start to the season despite some pretty testing fixtures.

Firstly, well done to St Austell tonight, thought the game was well contested by both sides and also a special mention to the referee and his assistants who were excellent.

We are naturally disappointed to lose and need to bounce back, which I am sure the lads will.

We have lost a few lads for various reasons and now struggling with a couple of injuries so no doubt a couple new signings are a high priority to make sure we stay at the right end of the table.

Don't normally bite but for all those that mention what our budget is, it is our AGM tomorrow evening and you are welcome to attend and find out the real figures, but some of you wouldn't want to let the facts get in the way of the truth.

However, don't get me wrong we do have a nice little bit in the bank and guaranteed revenue each year for a number of years to come. We could probably double our budget if we want but in order to achieve what?

Nice to have a competitive side with over half the lads being local (Meedo, Deano, Aaron Northmore, Josh Robins, Ian Rooke, Dave Hallett, Jarryd Kelly, Ryan Moorhead) and the others lads playing for the club are not just turning up because we can pay them a fiver more than someone else, quite proud of all of them.

Nice to be in a healthy position both on and off the pitch, but thanks to the arsonists (who got a slap on the wrists and a £50 fine) we also have a clubhouse to rebuild and should we eventually go up, we will need to have a few pennies put back to cover the additional costs involved.

Looking forward to receiving our rivals on Saturday and hopefully a good game of football, with a fair bit of banter.

Look forward to Tavi coming to St Blazey next wednesday. What ever side St Blazey have had, Tavistock have always been one of their hardest games. Never alot in it. Should be a decent match next wednesday.

As for budgets, shouldnt matter one bit. Its theirs to spend. If the club are lucky enough to have a few quid, well done to them. No one wants to see another Truro mess so if everything is well run, what does it matter?? People need to forget the budget thing. Its not going to go away.

Firstly, well done to St Austell tonight, thought the game was well contested by both sides and also a special mention to the referee and his assistants who were excellent.

We are naturally disappointed to lose and need to bounce back, which I am sure the lads will.

We have lost a few lads for various reasons and now struggling with a couple of injuries so no doubt a couple new signings are a high priority to make sure we stay at the right end of the table.

Don't normally bite but for all those that mention what our budget is, it is our AGM tomorrow evening and you are welcome to attend and find out the real figures, but some of you wouldn't want to let the facts get in the way of the truth.

However, don't get me wrong we do have a nice little bit in the bank and guaranteed revenue each year for a number of years to come. We could probably double our budget if we want but in order to achieve what?

Nice to have a competitive side with over half the lads being local (Meedo, Deano, Aaron Northmore, Josh Robins, Ian Rooke, Dave Hallett, Jarryd Kelly, Ryan Moorhead) and the others lads playing for the club are not just turning up because we can pay them a fiver more than someone else, quite proud of all of them.

Nice to be in a healthy position both on and off the pitch, but thanks to the arsonists (who got a slap on the wrists and a £50 fine) we also have a clubhouse to rebuild and should we eventually go up, we will need to have a few pennies put back to cover the additional costs involved.

Looking forward to receiving our rivals on Saturday and hopefully a good game of football, with a fair bit of banter.

Is Ian Rooke a relative (son maybe?) of either Simon or Kim (Plymouth boys) who were well known figures on the SWL circuit in the 80s?

I agree 100% it should always be about the stability of the football club before anything else!!!

I think your doing an excellent job with alot of very good local lads mixed in with a few from Plymouth. Especially seeing as you lost some very good players early on!!!

Obviously Hobbs would be a miss to any side, I watched a few games last year and also thought the little lad Alexander that played midfield but could also play as a sweeper was a big player for you.

Losing players early for whatever is never easy, The start you've had is a credit to you and the squad.

Is Ian Rooke a relative (son maybe?) of either Simon or Kim (Plymouth boys) who were well known figures on the SWL circuit in the 80s?

Not sure if he's related to Simon or Kim but his father's a Dockyardie called John

Not sure if he's related to Simon or Kim but his father's a Dockyardie called John

Thanks - Simon and Kim both, I think, worked in the dockyard (mind you, most plymouth boys seemed to in the 80s) and i think both had spells at Tavy - they certainly did at St.Austell. Good players. If I recall, Kim was Mr TSW (or something siimilar) one year :excl: Those were the days!

I assume Kim Rooke is the same player that played in the last Western League season for Falmouth Town 1982-83

Just for nostalgia I have looked up the records and Kim Rooke scored the last ever Western League goal at Falmouth v Dawlish (1-1) in a vey emotional occasion.It also saw a tearful Keith Manley say goodbye to Falmouth after 13 seasons.

Two days later at Clandown Kim Rooke again got on the scoresheet in a 2-0 win with the final goodbye to the Western League.

The following season it was Combination football for Falmouth.

sorry to go off topic

Thanks - Simon and Kim both, I think, worked in the dockyard (mind you, most plymouth boys seemed to in the 80s) and i think both had spells at Tavy - they certainly did at St.Austell. Good players. If I recall, Kim was Mr TSW (or something siimilar) one year :excl: Those were the days!

Confirmed today: Ian Rooke no relation to Simon or Kim Rooke...... and Kim took part in Mr TSW but didn't win. (anyone know who did?? Wasn't Ken Bradshaw was it?)