Cornwall Football Forum

Elmore (Tiverton) are the only Devon club in the Western League Division one and have applied for a sideways move to the S W Peninsula Premier Division.

See details on the SW Peninsula website

One wonders how Barnstaple Town see this as they are currently bottom of the Western League Premier (7 points adrift).

If relegated they have the choice of SWP Premier or the Western League Div.1

To be fair looking at the Western league division one table I see it looks as if Elmore are the only team in Devon in that league, so no doubt they will work out the travelling situation of being firstly in the league they are now, and secondly joining the South West Peninsula league at Premier division level which I assume they would do with a sideways move. At least they would have two clubs quite near to them in Cullompton and Witheridge and two more not far away in the Newton Abbot area in Liverton and Bovey Tracey. But I guess after reading the previous post only time will tell.

Not sure if the Prem would be 21 teams. The aim seems to be 20 for next season.

So either a team takes promotion or one of the Div1 teams would miss out via a play-off (nightmare scenario after a season's graft).

Still a long way to go ..

With a number of Devon teams in the Western League (step 5), it is only a matter of time before one is relegated to the SWP. If this occurs the current SWP rules require the top East and West division teams to play-off for a single promotion spot. In my opinion both the top East and West clubs should be promoted and the third bottom Premier club relegated. After all, the Southern League Premier can relegate the bottom 4. Too late to amend the rules this season mind.

I would suggest, that the SWPL Board should be looking to protect its current member clubs, rather than accept clubs from others leagues if it causes a problem for the East/West promotion hopefuls.

If Wadebridge or one of the many East sides with Step 6 facilities, were to finish in a promotion place, they should be promoted by right. If that means rejecting an application from a Western League side, so be it.

Not sure if the Prem would be 21 teams. The aim seems to be 20 for next season.

So either a team takes promotion or one of the Div1 teams would miss out via a play-off (nightmare scenario after a season's graft).

Still a long way to go ..

If Parkway get 1st or 2nd they will take promotion.... problem solved and good luck to them if they do!

Can only be a good thing for local football

Is I undertand it it is still one down with Parkway taking Elmore's place (albeit) a league higher in the Western League. Spoke to the manager and football chairman this week who said with the big Devon teams all being replaced in the Western Division with sides from Bristol and further east in Wiltshire it made sense travel-wise to join the Peninsula League. Especially as possibly Exmouth could end up coming into replace Penzance. Also said the facilities were better in the Peninsula Prem, which I thought was a good vote of confidence to the clubs in the League after all that problems over the FA Cup standards we had in the summer.

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/Elmore-set-quit-Western-League-join-South-West/story-17739774-detail/story.html

Bigger gates as well in the Peninsula League. Like someone has mentioned above, you do wonder if Barnstaple could choose the Peninsula League. That would mess up the promotion/relegation equations if then they swap with Parkway. Guess we will find out at the end of the season.

Officially, according to The FA, the East & West Divs are at Step 7(A). Step 7 is split 3 ways according to the standard of the Divisions facilities. 7, 7A & 7B . Promotion to Step 6 requires planning permission for Floodlights to be in place at the time of application, amongst other considerations.

If Elmore & Barnstaple were to apply for SWPL Prem, it should not be at the expense of East/West clubs who fill a promotion place and have the correct facilities/permission in place. Fill any Prem vacancies with current East/West clubs and if there are still vacancies, allow clubs from The Western League to join.

Made several visits to Elmore playing Western League and they are a good little club, decent pitch with decent facilities. Quite easy to reach just off the motorway really as well.

Was always curious why they didnt join as a founder member. This is a positive reflection on the peninsula league that they are wanting to step across...

Makes sense all round surely.