Cornwall Football Forum

Plymouth Parkway in Western League

Whilst it's always flattering to read the comments of other football lovers....let's not jump the gun ehh.

IF Parkway have have applied for the Western League, with half a season still to play, there are a number of very good sides who will all be vying for those promotion places.

Should be a great run-in for all those teams with ambition.

Follow Plymouth Parkway FC this weekend as they travel up the A38 to Liverton Utd KO 1415 (no lights) or at www.plymouthparkwayfootballclub.co.uk

With Parkway and Buckland taking the plunge maybe it might be worth a go.

No matter what anyone suggests about ambition, the geography (and unfortunately these days the finances) has as much a say in whether it's worth a go or not.

Is it worth taking the plunge for exactly who's benefit - the club, the players, or the supporters?

Certainly the club should in effect have no choice but to take promotion (and relegation) when competing in a "Pyramid" based League. This was one of the pros for the clubs when they were being canvassed to join the new league six years ago. And I feel a side who wins a league has no option but to go up. Unfortunately I know the league ground rules etc don't allow it, but as far as the SWPL goes, I would even like to see a Division One championship winning side go up irrespectively of completing all the necessary when it comes to lights etc. Why should Godolphin's performances and effort on the pitch - playing football which is what it should actually be all about, be prevented because of no lights?

However for the players - first consideration has to be "if they stay with the club that is". Already it's been suggested to me by someone in the know currently with a mid-Cornwall club, that "there are very few players in a position to commit to 7+hour road trips". If the club takes promotion and the players don't go with it, it will then see that side break up, they will leave and the club is left in the mire.

Then what about the supporters position - the further to travel means they might not all be able to watch their team so much, hence the supporter is being deprived. Admittedly there will be the interest in seeing a "new team visit", but this will possibly disappear after the initial season - Buckland are already averaging less this season than last, and that was already less than the season before.

The whole subject of taking promotion or not will remain a big talking point - not helped while the SWPL has the likes of Bodmin (and Buckland before) hogging the top position. Yes, all clubs as members of the SWPL, should realise they could one day be playing in the Western League due to their success on the pitch, I guess what comes before the success on the pitch, comes the success off the pitch with having a financially sound set-up and one that could withstand the bigger travelling and subsequent more demands on the club.

Certainly we all know promotion will no way guarantee a bigger attendance!

Perhaps at the end of the day the one to get the most benefit from a club taking the plunge is actually the league! And nothing wrong with that, as isn't the league there for the clubs? So you could suggest I've gone full circle and if a club doesn't want to take promotion - so be it!

Maybe the silly money these clubs pay per season to their players, they could invest in other areas such as a mini bus. Which the whole team travels on too and from away games. It's not rocket science, the players that don't wanna travel don't play at that standard. The benefit would be for the players, clubs and supporters after all who wouldn't want to see or be part of a club playing at the highest standard possible.

It's the long mid-week trips that are the main problem, so less of an issue if they remain at 20 clubs. If Barnstaple find a way to avoid relegation and Chard get promoted along with Parkway then will have at least some reasonably close away games

- Ilfracombe

- Parkway

- Willand Rovers

- Barnstaple

- Chard

- Buckland

- Bridport