Cornwall Football Forum

Sticker vs Wadebridge

STICKER 2-1 WADEBRIDGE

Having not visited Burngullow Park for a few seasons I thought I would venture up the road and catch the game seeing I had a few old pals in both dug outs so to speak! Player-manager Andy Avery who actually played and assistant Roger Green in the home dug out and manager Mark Menhennick, assistant Sasha Wheatman and coach Paul Clarke in the visitors. Good value for £3 and a decent programme thrown in I thought, drove in right on kick off, a 2.15pm which caught me out!! I was greeted with a prestine playing surface, absolute credit to the groundsman, a nice new Monty Donnithorne stand in fitting memory of a great club stalwart that passed away recently and a healthy number of advertising boards around the impressive ground. Looks like a lot of hard work has been done and they are a club on the up. Another old friend was referee Mr Kevin Knowles in the middle who ended up having an eventful game! A quick scan of the attendance came to 50/60 including the people like me who watched from their car!!! It was 3 degrees at kick off which dropped to 2*c by half time and 1*c at the final whistle! Decided that was the warmest and comfiest seat and I could listen to Radio Cornwall at the same time!! Looked at the line ups and was interested to see Jake Street, Adam Soloman and Liam Dingle for Sticker and Paul Menhennick for Wadebridge and if they all turn out to be as good as their dads they will be very good players!!! Always look out for Goalscorers and the two number 10s Chris Kitson and Dan Jennings are names you see in the local papers week in and week out. Chris probably didn't have his greatest day and ended up being subbed on the hour but you can see how he's been prolific in the East Cornwall league over the years by his movement, getting on the blind side of defenders and always being in the right place at the right time and Dan looks lightning which will always get you chances. My immediate thoughts were how difficult it is to be a referee after a big appeal in the first few minutes from Sticker which was never a pen in a month of Sundays and Kevin quite rightly awarded a goal kick but got loads of abuse for it which made me think twice about ever taking up the whistle!!? Ive played in several games that hes reffed and he usually gets the big decisions right ive found. But who needs that grief after working all week?! The hosts deservedly took a 10th minute lead when Andy Butler who looked to have a lovely pair of feet and close control crossed to Liam Dingle who finished well, flashing a shot across the keeper inside the far post from close range. Forgive me if I get any of the names wrong cos I'm out the loop a bit these days!! The Bridgers came close to equalising when Alex Ahearn smashed a shot against the foot of the post five minutes later. Is his dad Andy by any chance as well!!? Sticker were the better side and the experienced Bradley Ralph or Crouchy to his friends and forum users had a couple of volleys from set pieces, one which warmed the keepers hands and the other can only be described as a centre halves finish! Sorry Brad!! The half petered out with lots of endeavour and effort but not too much quality and Sticker went in deservedly 1-0 up at the break. A game of two halves was certainly the cliche of the day here as Wadebridge came flying out the traps at the start of the second half, I'm not sure what Mark and Sasha said but it worked and they piled on the pressure. The imposing figure of Shane Looker down the left was getting plenty of joy and in the 58th minute he headed a cross from wide right back across goal but Avers led by example and threw his body in to block with Menhennick Jnr ready to tap in the loose ball. Nick Dowling was becoming more influential in the centre of the park spraying it around and he slipped a great ball through to Jennings but he blasted over and then both benches made changes with Paul Cox coming on for the Bridgers and Sticker replying with a double change as Kitson and Lewis Prince who received a yellow card on his way off were replaced by Ben Rosevear and Matt Lloyd. The game burst into life in the 75th minute when the pace of Jennings sent him clear and as he rounded the impressive Ryan Holland in the home goal, the keeper produced the most well timed tackle of the afternoon with his feet to win the ball clean as a whistle but probably to the amazement of about 58 people in the ground Kev awarded the penalty!!! I was there as a neutral and former Wadebridge player but I'm afraid you got that one wrong all day Kev!!? Easy to say from my nice warm seat in me Peugeot 207 mind you!! Although I was bang in line and a Bridger supporter next to me shouted to his mate "how did we get given that". Anyway Jennings converted and game on. He was almost in again when Crouchys underhit header was cut out by him and as he bore down on goal Holland made a great reflex save to his right palming the ball to safety. There looked to be only one winner and as Jennings burst clear again Holland hand balled five yards outside his penalty box but Kev made the sensible decision to yellow card him as I think Avers had come around on the cover anyway. A rare breakaway resulted in Dingle smashing a shot over after good work from Butler and Spaul. Just when it looked like honours were even and I heard on the radio that Sunderland had gone 3-1 up at Wigan to wreck my score draw coupon the ball dropped to super sub Rosevear who cracked a shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the box for the winner. Well done to Avers and Sticker who were 8th at the start of play as opposed to the Bridgers 3rd. Bad luck to Mark, Sash and their team who probably deserved a draw over the 90 mins and spent five minutes on the pitch after along with referee Mr Kevin Knowles and Bridgers chairman Steve Cudmore discussing a few decisions no doubt?!! All in all an enjoyable watch and good luck to both teams for the rest of the season, thanks for a nice afternoon! :-)

STICKER 2-1 WADEBRIDGE

Having not visited Burngullow Park for a few seasons I thought I would venture up the road and catch the game seeing I had a few old pals in both dug outs so to speak! Player-manager Andy Avery who actually played and assistant Roger Green in the home dug out and manager Mark Menhennick, assistant Sasha Wheatman and coach Paul Clarke in the visitors. Good value for £3 and a decent programme thrown in I thought, drove in right on kick off, a 2.15pm which caught me out!! I was greeted with a prestine playing surface, absolute credit to the groundsman, a nice new Monty Donnithorne stand in fitting memory of a great club stalwart that passed away recently and a healthy number of advertising boards around the impressive ground. Looks like a lot of hard work has been done and they are a club on the up. Another old friend was referee Mr Kevin Knowles in the middle who ended up having an eventful game! A quick scan of the attendance came to 50/60 including the people like me who watched from their car!!! It was 3 degrees at kick off which dropped to 2*c by half time and 1*c at the final whistle! Decided that was the warmest and comfiest seat and I could listen to Radio Cornwall at the same time!! Looked at the line ups and was interested to see Jake Street, Adam Soloman and Liam Dingle for Sticker and Paul Menhennick for Wadebridge and if they all turn out to be as good as their dads they will be very good players!!! Always look out for Goalscorers and the two number 10s Chris Kitson and Dan Jennings are names you see in the local papers week in and week out. Chris probably didn't have his greatest day and ended up being subbed on the hour but you can see how he's been prolific in the East Cornwall league over the years by his movement, getting on the blind side of defenders and always being in the right place at the right time and Dan looks lightning which will always get you chances. My immediate thoughts were how difficult it is to be a referee after a big appeal in the first few minutes from Sticker which was never a pen in a month of Sundays and Kevin quite rightly awarded a goal kick but got loads of abuse for it which made me think twice about ever taking up the whistle!!? Ive played in several games that hes reffed and he usually gets the big decisions right ive found. But who needs that grief after working all week?! The hosts deservedly took a 10th minute lead when Andy Butler who looked to have a lovely pair of feet and close control crossed to Liam Dingle who finished well, flashing a shot across the keeper inside the far post from close range. Forgive me if I get any of the names wrong cos I'm out the loop a bit these days!! The Bridgers came close to equalising when Alex Ahearn smashed a shot against the foot of the post five minutes later. Is his dad Andy by any chance as well!!? Sticker were the better side and the experienced Bradley Ralph or Crouchy to his friends and forum users had a couple of volleys from set pieces, one which warmed the keepers hands and the other can only be described as a centre halves finish! Sorry Brad!! The half petered out with lots of endeavour and effort but not too much quality and Sticker went in deservedly 1-0 up at the break. A game of two halves was certainly the cliche of the day here as Wadebridge came flying out the traps at the start of the second half, I'm not sure what Mark and Sasha said but it worked and they piled on the pressure. The imposing figure of Shane Looker down the left was getting plenty of joy and in the 58th minute he headed a cross from wide right back across goal but Avers led by example and threw his body in to block with Menhennick Jnr ready to tap in the loose ball. Nick Dowling was becoming more influential in the centre of the park spraying it around and he slipped a great ball through to Jennings but he blasted over and then both benches made changes with Paul Cox coming on for the Bridgers and Sticker replying with a double change as Kitson and Lewis Prince who received a yellow card on his way off were replaced by Ben Rosevear and Matt Lloyd. The game burst into life in the 75th minute when the pace of Jennings sent him clear and as he rounded the impressive Ryan Holland in the home goal, the keeper produced the most well timed tackle of the afternoon with his feet to win the ball clean as a whistle but probably to the amazement of about 58 people in the ground Kev awarded the penalty!!! I was there as a neutral and former Wadebridge player but I'm afraid you got that one wrong all day Kev!!? Easy to say from my nice warm seat in me Peugeot 207 mind you!! Although I was bang in line and a Bridger supporter next to me shouted to his mate "how did we get given that". Anyway Jennings converted and game on. He was almost in again when Crouchys underhit header was cut out by him and as he bore down on goal Holland made a great reflex save to his right palming the ball to safety. There looked to be only one winner and as Jennings burst clear again Holland hand balled five yards outside his penalty box but Kev made the sensible decision to yellow card him as I think Avers had come around on the cover anyway. A rare breakaway resulted in Dingle smashing a shot over after good work from Butler and Spaul. Just when it looked like honours were even and I heard on the radio that Sunderland had gone 3-1 up at Wigan to wreck my score draw coupon the ball dropped to super sub Rosevear who cracked a shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the box for the winner. Well done to Avers and Sticker who were 8th at the start of play as opposed to the Bridgers 3rd. Bad luck to Mark, Sash and their team who probably deserved a draw over the 90 mins and spent five minutes on the pitch after along with referee Mr Kevin Knowles and Bridgers chairman Steve Cudmore discussing a few decisions no doubt?!! All in all an enjoyable watch and good luck to both teams for the rest of the season, thanks for a nice afternoon! :-)

Rappo that is a most comprehensive report! I think I may copy and paste it onto the Sticker website as its probably better that the biased one that I wrote(Ha! Ha!) Thanks for the kind words re the pitch etc. A lot of hard work has been done over the last few years from a very active committee!

Haha thanks Razor!! I just started writing and didnt stop for twenty minutes! Sorry! Love football!! Keep up the great work mate, the place is an absolute credit to you and the committee. Great job. :-)

I know what you mean Rappo as when I write the reports on our website its a matter of remembering all that went on during the game(I never take notes!) I tend not to comment on the controversial incidents like the one between Ralphy and Dan Jennings or critisise the ref as they take enough stick during the game! Iv'e been involved with Sticker since 2006 when I moved here and its been a pleasure to be involved with the club and to finally get promotion to the SWPL was the icing on the cake and that win must be dedicated to Rex Wade a staunch supporter who passed away last week! Hope to see you again at Burngullow and make yourself known to me!

Will do Razor, you can't miss me these days mate! Had one game for Sticker when I was 15 at Liskeard, we won 2-0. Steve Washbourne and myself scored the goals under manager Mike Penhaligon who's now my father in law!! Don't know if those names mean anything to you, it was 30 years ago!! Think Sticker did the treble that season though, they had hell of a side. Just remembered I had two games!! Played about five years after that at St.Minver for Phil Grant, know I had a couple cos one of them was a 30 yard free kick top corner!! Tend to remember those! Think we won 3-1!? Quite a lot of Truro lads were playing for the club around that time. Sorry to hear about Rex, sure he would have enjoyed those three points yesterday. All the best for the rest of the season Razor.

Rappo no I am not familiar with any of those names as I have only lived in Cornwall and Sticker since 2006. I know Gary Penhaligon as he did play for Sticker for a while. I also know and chat to a few ex Cornwall players that come and watch Sticker at home. Namely Graham Nicholls and Gordon Walker. There is a great legacy of fine footballers in Cornwall and I'm sure there would be more in the top class professional game if there weren't so many foreign players. You only have to look at the line-ups in all the divisions to see how many home grown players there are which is a crying shame! It also hasn't helped our national sides. My name by the way is Ray Cackett.

Agree with that Ray, some great Cornish players over the years that could have gone on to much better things if it wasn't for being geographically disadvantaged. None more so than Graham who was one of my hero's as a kid watching football in Cornwall. What a player and finisher!! Was lucky enough to make my Cornwall debut as a young kid alongside Graham who talked me through the game! Absolute top man along with brother Ray, gentlemen and great players. All the best Ray.

Yes I have heard that Graham and his brother Ray were top Cornish players. Dave Gilbert who is our young wing backs (Jason Rogers) Grandad who watches all his games has told me many a tale about those two also that Graham was the highest paid "amateur". This causes Graham to laugh his head off! Proper gentleman too, your so right!

Mark had a chat with one of our club members and ex Sticker player Paul Bullock and he remembers that game against St Minver: (Quote): I played in that game at St Minver and it was a midweek game.I remember Marks free kick and the score sounds about right. the Truro boys playing around that time could have been Ian Penrose, Treve Sims,Gary Pascoe,Gerald Grey and Steve Blewer to name a few. I have seen Ian a few times in Truro but none of the others, hope they are all ok. I think Treve's son is playing for St Blazey and I wonder if he throws-up in the centre circle before the game like his "old man" did! Phil Grant was manager at the time with John Peters helping him out, we had a strong Truro connection with a team half St Austell and half Truro based. We finished 6th in the league that season if my memory serves me right! Cheers Paul(Unquote! Hope this brings back some good memories Mark!

Ray.