Cornwall Football Forum

Plymstock lose again do they need a new manager

Al Capone... I believe he took staddy from p&d 4 to the prem in consecutive seasons and left when they were a top 4 team.. Took the plymstock 2nds job and were unlucky not to get promotion in there first season. With a lot of last seasons first team players leaving.. He had to gather a group of players that wanted to play for him and took his best second team players up that any manger would do. Players have come in and some may have struggled adapting but tear are the players who think they should be playing premier league football and stroll through games. The majority of the team has worked hard all season and deserve a bit more respect than what's being thrown around. I've known Pete for a lot time and have followed his teams, watching quite a few. The plymstock job is a gamble for anyone and shows his commitment every week by his desire to win and turn things around and take plymstock to where they belong

Give the bloke a break, easy job when you got a budget but when you havnt got any then its a battle to get the so called better players in, i no as i have been their. Do think that there is loads of lads at under 18s that dont get looked at and they are the kids that play with no fear. Plymstock are a great club and the youth side in all ages are coached to play the right way. So the next step for me would to keep them and then go into the 18s then 2nds then the 1st with the older players.Do you really money then?

Give the bloke a break, easy job when you got a budget but when you havnt got any then its a battle to get the so called better players in, i no as i have been their. Do think that there is loads of lads at under 18s that dont get looked at and they are the kids that play with no fear. Plymstock are a great club and the youth side in all ages are coached to play the right way. So the next step for me would to keep them and then go into the 18s then 2nds then the 1st with the older players.Do you really money then?

Have to agree with Ravo......time for people to stop speculating about what's going on at Plymstock and let Pete Hill get on with his job.

The club had an agenda when transferring to SWPL Div One East, knowing it was overall a much tougher league but less of a burden in respect of the travelling and financial outlay.

Whilst the powers that be were probably hoping for a slightly better position in the table, by and large, until the last one or two games the defeats have only been by the odd goal or two and by all accounts the performances haven't been as bad as their league position suggests (especially compared to the bottom three in SWPL Div One West).

Biggest problem for any manager in the SWPL operating without a budget is the fickleness of players who jump ship after one or two defeats or chase the extra tenner and show no loyalty whatsoever.

If the nucleus of the squad can stick together and be strengthened in one or two areas plus as Ravo says be boosted by some of the better U18s coming through the ranks the club can hopefully consolidate and kick on next season with the prospect of ground improvements to come in the not to distant future

As I don't really know about Cornish football I can't comment on names of players or potential managers, I moving down to Newquay start if April and been reading the forums with great interest to increase my knowledge before getting involved in local football, but in my opinion money or increasing the budget is always the answer the players have to want to play for the jersey not the cash, facilities or ambition are a bigger pull in my experience and a manager backed by the a strong board should achieve this. Investment at youth level us the key to building success and moving up the FA pyramid, if clubs run before they walk then all you get is perpetual circle of flickering success followed by re building, with exceptions of the local man cities which every league has. I'm really looking forward to getting down to cornwall and watching some football and maybe playing or coaching.

Played mostly football in and around Nottingham and down in dorset. Been in the Army 17 years. Played as a young YTS pro at mansfield town then on to AlfretonTown, Chelmsford, east Thurrock. Down in Dorset played at Totton and eling and this season been coaching Poole Town Reserve side. Got a good level of experience and knowdge if the game but most importantly I love the game, still struggling to hang my boots up haha