Cornwall Football Forum

FA Vase 5th round tie on Saturday 9th February at Priory Park Bodmin, kick-off 3pm

Another exciting FA Vase tie is anticipated tomorrow (Saturday), as Bodmin Town welcome Gornal Athletic of the Midland Alliance League to Priory Park . This is the first time either side has reached the 5th round of the competition and both will be equally keen to get into the quarter finals. Another big crowd is expected, so arrive early if you want to park inside the ground.

Admission (as previous rounds)

Adults £6 - Concessions £3

Hot/Cold Refreshments and Full Bar Facilities will be available from early afternoon

Another Programme Special will on sale, as well as the usual 50/50 draw

just on way back from watching Bodmin losing to Gornal they just didnt play at all today and Andy Carter must be the worst game hes played in a Bodmin shirt not much to say about the Bodmin performance except very poor just 1 real shot to trouble the Gornal keeper really from Chris luxton who i thought was Bodmins best player hard luck Bodmin well done Gornal

Admittedly Bodmin not at their best today. Pushed Gornal back more in the second half, but the Gornal 'keeper pulled out the couple saves when he asked.

Felt sorry for Gilby being banished to the stand so early in the game. Maybe a case of his reputation going before him as the ref does the local circuit!

Admittedly Bodmin not at their best today. Pushed Gornal back more in the second half, but the Gornal 'keeper pulled out the couple saves when he asked.

Felt sorry for Gilby being banished to the stand so early in the game. Maybe a case of his reputation going before him as the ref does the local circuit!

What was he sent to the stands for?

One assumes something he said!

Actually he just said on radio - it wasn't for language or dissent, but stepping over the line.

Listening to referees who huddle in a group when they watch matches, I would hate to think that this sending off was premeditated!

Gilby's head is a big trophy. Referee definitely overreacted!

Was a bit harsh on Gilby, ref was very quick to make the decision.

The pitch was atrocious, no one would have begrudged a side playing Route 1 today and Bodmin had the best chances when they did resort to that on the odd occasion.

Can't blame a side for trying to play football but perhaps they were a little guilty of trying to play too much on a pig of a surface.

They did deserve at least a draw though on the balance of chances, Gornal had a pacy winger and on a top surface, he would be a nightmare for anyone; Luke Rundle was immense, Chambers never lost a ball in the air all day and Brokenshire always had time and space. The goal was a deflection as well which makes things worse.

One thing for sure though, Carter should have got sent off for a blatant stamp on the head of their number 5. It happened right in front of where I was standing and it was a deliberate stamp, no doubt. Great effort to get this far but they deserved a replay in my opinion; the celebration of their mouthy left back could easily have caused a riot at full time too!

so why feel sorry for him..... As said above not for something he said :) You answered my question first AND Then you edited your post AFTER you had listen to the radio!!

Why would you think that the sending off would be premeditated! I'm sure he would have been warned about crossing the line on more than one occasion before he was sent from the dug out!

so why feel sorry for him..... As said above not for something he said :) You answered my question first AND Then you edited your post AFTER you had listen to the radio!!

Why would you think that the sending off would be premeditated! I'm sure he would have been warned about crossing the line on more than one occasion before he was sent from the dug out!

He wasn't warned because he hadn't done it before. It happened very early on in the match.

As for the premeditation - I said I would hate to think it was, not that it definitely was. However, the decision was so harsh, so early on, in a match that was as big for a manager to enjoy as much as a referee and the two teams of players! I stick by what I first said - have to feel sorry for Gilby.

Cornish clubs in the F A Vase

Winners

2006-07 Truro City (wL) Won 3-1 v AFC Totton

Quarter Final Replay

1986-87 Falmouth Town Lost 0-1,1-1 v St.Helens Town

Quarter Final

1997-98 Porthleven Lost 0-2 v Taunton Town

2009-10 Torpoint Athletic 1-2 v Poole Town

5th.Round Replay

1987-88 Falmouth Town Lost 1-2,0-0 v Chertsey Town

2002-03 St.Blazey Lost 1-7 , 1-1 v A F C Sudbury

5th.Round

1994-95 Falmouth Town Lost 1-5 v Belper Town

1995-96 Torpoint Athletic 0-2 v Raunds Town

2001-02 Porthleven Lost 0-4 v Burgess Hill Town

2012-13 Bodmin Town Lost 0-1 v Gornal Athletic

He wasn't warned because he hadn't done it before. It happened very early on in the match.

As for the premeditation - I said I would hate to think it was, not that it definitely was. However, the decision was so harsh, so early on, in a match that was as big for a manager to enjoy as much as a referee and the two teams of players! I stick by what I first said - have to feel sorry for Gilby.

Did catch Darren's post match interview on Radio Cornwall yesterday . Mentioned early on that he would not talk about the referee as he doesn't like doing that , then spent most of the rest of the interview talking about the referee !

Hard luck though Bodmin . Really fancied you to go much further .

Is the FA Vase the hardest (comparatively speaking) of the domestic competitions to win ? The sheer amount of games,the travelling for sides that are not used to it and that the fact that you are playing teams that you know very little about would make it so in my opinion .

Was any work done on the pitch at all? Even before kick off it was in helluva mess and no ground staff put back the divots at half time , teams might aswell have played with wellies on can't play good football on that, looked like a herd of cows been on there for a week, need to sort it in the summer i feel.

Was an work done on the pitch at all? Even before kick off it was in helluva mess and no ground staff put back the divots at half time , teams might aswell have played with wellies on can't play good football on that, looked like a herd of cows been on there for a week, need to sort it in the summer i feel.

Just looked at the piccies on cornish soccer, pitch looked pretty bad for a game of this importance. Did not seem to be that many watching either.

• 3 weeks later...