Cornwall Football Forum

SWP moving East

With the balance of clubs shifting west since the SWP Premier was established, next season will see the trend reversed in a big way. Likely changes next season include

In from East

- Elmore (transferring from WL)

- Exmouth (promoted)

- Barnstaple (relegated from WL)

Out from West

- Penzance (relegated)

- Liskeard (relegated)

Willand Rovers are just out of the relegation zone too.

No teams expected to gain promotion from the West to the Prem then? Or from the East Cornwall Prem to the West?
One from Godolphin, Helston or Wadebridge will be promoted. Illogan will continue to occupy promotion places in both Combo and Trelawny. Still no SWP representation from Redruth/Camborne (at 39,937 the largest conurbation in Cornwall) much to the joy of the rugby.

Millbrook are favoured over Bude from East Cornwall League to join Penzance and Liskeard in SWP West.

• 2 weeks later...

From This is Cornwall:

Four Cornwall clubs have applied for promotion from division one west of the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League to the premier division for next season.

They are current leaders Godolphin Atlantic, second placed Helston Athletic, Wadebridge Town (third) and Callington Town (sixth).

They are joined on the application list by division one east leaders Exmouth Town and fourth-placed Stoke Gabriel.

Bude Town and Millbrook, from the Cornish Guardian East Cornwall Premier League premier division, have applied to join division one west of the Peninsula League.

Brixham and St Martins have applied for membership of division one east.

Peninsula League secretary Phil Hiscox said: "The next stage of the application process is for the ground grading sub-committee to visit each of the applicant clubs' grounds.

"These visits will be conducted in late March and early April.

"The report of the grounds committee's findings, together with clubs' final league positions, will then go forward to the board to enable the final decisions on who is successful to be decided."

On current standings changes next season would be

Premier - 20 clubs

In - Exmouth, Elmore, Barnstaple, Godolphin

Out - Parkway (promoted), Penzance & Liskeard (relegated)

West - 17 clubs

In - Millbrook, Penzance & Liskeard

Out - Godolphin, Holsworthy (transferred to East)

East - 17 clubs

In - Brixham, Holsworthy

Out - Exmouth

Barnstaple will favour relegation to the Western League Division 1

It makes more sense for them to make a quick return to the WL Premier as there is little chance of toppling Bodmin and other Plymouth based clubs from the Peninsula League.

Barnstaple Town have not applied to join the SW Peninsula League as they dont need to.

If they finish in the relegation position they will then indicate nearer the end of the season of their intentions.

so I have been informed

got told at penzance that no1 really knows whats going on. i thought that it was 1 going down as dartmouth had in effect already been relegated. but then was also told the cornish FA can change there mind on what there going to do at anytime! personally i think it should be set in stone at the start of each season how many go up and how many go down so you know exactly what your playing for. if then a side wants to drop back in-they should be aloud-play the extra fixtures and then the following year- adjustments to relegation/promotion be sorted again i.e. if there is on additional team then 3 go down 2 up following year?

got told at penzance that no1 really knows whats going on. i thought that it was 1 going down as dartmouth had in effect already been relegated. but then was also told the cornish FA can change there mind on what there going to do at anytime! personally i think it should be set in stone at the start of each season how many go up and how many go down so you know exactly what your playing for. if then a side wants to drop back in-they should be aloud-play the extra fixtures and then the following year- adjustments to relegation/promotion be sorted again i.e. if there is on additional team then 3 go down 2 up following year?

The SWPL isn't under the control of the Cornish FA so your source is unreliable.

The SWPL isn't under the control of the Cornish FA so your source is unreliable.

maybe he just meant the FA then. either way i think it should be sorted at the start of the season so players/clubs know where they need to be at the ne dof season.

Why complicate the issue it seems quite clear, Elmore come in to fill the void left by Dartmouth, one club in from Division 1 West, one club in from Division 1 East, bottom 2 in premier relegated. Th Barnstaple situation might effect promotion from either East or West if they opt for SWPL when relegated, but anyway it will mean 2 down from SWPL

I asked a league official last week if it was possible that more than 1 team could be relegated from the Prem this season (in addition to Dartmouth). He said defo NO.

If the Prem looks to be overfull, at least 2 options are available. The East & West champs are asked to play off for just 1 promotion place OR the Prem could run with more than 20 teams for 13/14.

Reading the rules of the SWPL at the back of the handbook is quite educational.

Why complicate the issue it seems quite clear, Elmore come in to fill the void left by Dartmouth, one club in from Division 1 West, one club in from Division 1 East, bottom 2 in premier relegated. Th Barnstaple situation might effect promotion from either East or West if they opt for SWPL when relegated, but anyway it will mean 2 down from SWPL

Don't forget Parkway might be promoted.

Surely any club wishing to transfer across from Western 1 into SWPL Prem should only be considered IF there are no clubs from East/West Divs taking promotion. The SWPL must look after its own member clubs over Western League sides.

As there is no automatic promotion / relegation, that must also apply down from Western Prem too. The SWPL should not be forced to take Western Prem sides coming down at the expense of East / West sides wanting to go up.

From memory there are only 5 Devon clubs in the entire Western League who would be eligible to join the SW Peninsula League.

Only Elmore are affected by a sideways move

-Barnstaple Town-Buckland Athletic-Ilfracombe Town-Willand Rovers are in the Premier Division and could join if relegated.

Although two are in consideration for next season it would not be a season by season occurence.

Surely any club wishing to transfer across from Western 1 into SWPL Prem should only be considered IF there are no clubs from East/West Divs taking promotion. The SWPL must look after its own member clubs over Western League sides.

As there is no automatic promotion / relegation, that must also apply down from Western Prem too. The SWPL should not be forced to take Western Prem sides coming down at the expense of East / West sides wanting to go up.

Agree there should be one automatic promotion place for East and West divisions (subject to facilities and finishing top 2). Also with the SWP five clubs short, relegated WL clubs from Devon should be accepted. With a simple amendment to the rules we can have both.

In the event of a club transferring or being relegated from Western League, the third from bottom club in the SWP Premier division would be relegated.

Just need someone to propose this at the AGM.

Elmore have already stated that they would be happy to join Div 1 East if no place available in the Premier Division, so not a problem really.

Not sure why we are trying to complicate this. At the very start of the season we all know that 2 teams get relegated from the Premier. With Dartmouth pulling out...just one team get relgated! Simple.

So the normal progression is Div 1 East and West Champion (or runner up if Champion's ground is not up to spec) get promoted. Elmore is a wildcard. The league will try to accomodate if possible.The Elmore situation will most likelybe decided at the next AGM. Simple!

Not sure why we are trying to complicate this. At the very start of the season we all know that 2 teams get relegated from the Premier. With Dartmouth pulling out...just one team get relgated! Simple.

So the normal progression is Div 1 East and West Champion (or runner up if Champion's ground is not up to spec) get promoted.

Except if Elmore or Barnstaple or Willand Rovers or Ilfracombe or Buckland end up at step 6 and nominate the SWP over WL1, then every chance there will be no promotion from the West. Simple.

Barnstaple Relegated to Step 6 - from the North Devon Gazette

BARNSTAPLE manager Tom Bulley has this week admitted that Town’s season is pretty much over. A 3-0 defeat at home to Wells on Saturday was Town’s third successive defeat against the teams closest to them at the bottom of the table.

After a 1-0 loss at home to Winterbourne the previous Saturday and a 3-1 defeat at Bridport midweek, any fleeting chance of them getting out of the relegation zone was removed.

They now sit 14 points adrift at the bottom.

My understanding of the situation is that Barnstaple Town can go to either Western 1 or SWPL Prem, the FA would sanction the move and there is nothing either league could do about it.
Dartmouth count as one of the relegated sides by effectively finishing bottom, therefore just one current Prem side would be going down.
If Barnstaple were to join the SWPL + Elmore who seem to have been accepted already, then the potential two East/West promoted clubs would make the SWPL Prem a 22 club Division. However, Parkway could go up = 21 clubs, Barnstaple may go to Western 1 = 20, the West promotion placed sides may not get planning permission = 19. I'm taking it as read that Exmouth will go up, the ground is already Step 6 standard.
So we could have 19-22 sides next season in the SWPL Prem, there is nothing to prevent a 22 club Division, although if we were to have another winter like the one that started 5 months ago, May 2014 could be a busy month.
Hope that makes it as clear as mud. Ifs, buts and maybes right to the end of the season... and probably beyond.

My understanding of the situation is that Barnstaple Town can go to either Western 1 or SWPL Prem, the FA would sanction the move and there is nothing either league could do about it.

Dartmouth count as one of the relegated sides by effectively finishing bottom, therefore just one current Prem side would be going down.

If Barnstaple were to join the SWPL + Elmore who seem to have been accepted already, then the potential two East/West promoted clubs would make the SWPL Prem a 22 club Division. However, Parkway could go up = 21 clubs, Barnstaple may go to Western 1 = 20, the West promotion placed sides may not get planning permission = 19. I'm taking it as read that Exmouth will go up, the ground is already Step 6 standard.

So we could have 19-22 sides next season in the SWPL Prem, there is nothing to prevent a 22 club Division, although if we were to have another winter like the one that started 5 months ago, May 2014 could be a busy month.

Nemesis, what do you think of a rule change for future seasons to relegate the third bottom SWP Prem 3 club in the event of a club relegated from WL? Too late for this season I know, but with 5 Devon clubs in the WL, it's only a matter of time before they are relegated to step 6. After all, Southern League relegate bottom 4. Got to be better than East / West playoffs or having 21 in SWP Prem with only 16 or 17 in East / West.

I gather Midland Alliance changed their rules to relegate the bottom three in certain circumstances.

Skippy - The 3 down rule would certainly spice things up in the Premier Div.

I'd be happier if we had confirmation of the clubs eligible for promotion by 31st Dec in each season, if a club has not got their house in order by then, they should not be allowed promotion until the following season. If a club want to transfer across from another League, the same Dec 31st deadline should apply.

I'm not comfortable with the idea that a club pick and choose which Division it gets relegated to, Barnstaple are in Western Prem, they should go down to Western One, no arguments. My main concern is clubs not knowing what the situation is until after the end of each season, I think it is unfair that a side (or 3rd bottom side if we took your suggestion) may not actually know if they have been relegated or promoted until after the season has ended, or that it is dependant on results in 2 different leagues.