Cornwall Football Forum

Is anyone at Newquay alive?

This is a desperate attempt to get some information from Newquay. Helston got back to me on Friday. I'll be doing the music and announcements tomorrow night at Truro for the Senior Cup Semi Final. I've tried to find out (twice) via the Newquay website contact form if there is any particular music the club wants me to play for them. The website bloke has responded by saying he has passed my message on but the silence thereafter has been deafening!

So....is there anybody there? (Sounds like a seance!)

Also, for Glynn's information, I will obviously have a programme on the night but I will need to know of any last-minute changes to the team as well as (obviously) players' shirt numbers on the night.

If I don't hear back I'll have to resort to playing something by the Beach Boys to reflect the town of Newquay's reputation as the surfing capital of the UK.

The bar will be open (all drinks £2.50, I am told) and the Roseworthy Farms burger van will also be there with teas, coffees, cold soft drinks, burgers, hotdogs (they do versions of those using their own locally-reared meat - no horse!), bacon baps, chips, cheesy chips: don't know if there'll be pasties on the night.

Never mind that irrelevant foreign match on the telly: roll up and make it a big night for both clubs.

As I have said many times over the last 30 years, the Cornwall FA are a law among themselves and really do not make any useful decisions - look where they are going to play the final when it should be in Central Cornwall to give fair travelling distances to BOTH sets of supporters !

Not too sure that The Taxman song would go down too well at Treyew Rd... as for the rest of your suggestions, 'Insomnia - by Faithless'

With regard to the Non Cornwall Senior Cup match on TV, who gives a monkeys about plastic Mancs losing to Ronny, and of course the best and next Chelsea Manager. We'll have folk moaning that the final is on Easter Monday soon... excuses like, gotta take the kids on an egg hunt, it's a family day, It will be chilly and Leeds v Derby is on TV or the most likely, I can't get the Wife's thumb off my head etc etc.

Just hope that Peppermints fans are not 'Singing the Blues' after tonight.

saw the pre season friendly between these two when I thought Helston were the better side with 'charlie ?' looking great in midfield, but things have moved on since then. Saw Newquay last Tuesday and if they play the same they will be 'singing the blues', as they will not be able to stop the supply to the two excellent Helston strickers. having said that..come on Newquay !!

Go old school and play "The Shadows...."

Remember going to Mt Wise in late 70s/early 80s as a kid watching great Newquay sides with Dave Philp, Brian Philp,Toffy Tumon, Dave Ball, Dave Streat, Chris Thomas, the Nicholls brothers etc and the legend that was Phil Ryder...not forgetting the late Ernie Hooper, and it always used to be blaring out before a match. Sandra would probably know the actual song.

Would be class if it were played LOL

The Newquay signature tune from the late fiftees for several decades was a tune not many will remember today.The song was 'Irene Good Night'

One verse of the song went like this,

Last Saturday night I got married,

Me and my wife settled down,

Now me and my wife are parted,

I think I'll go out on the town.

Jiggy is quite correct when he said this tune would blare out when the Newquay team ran out onto the field on match days, from under the grandstand in those days where the changing rooms were situated before new changing rooms were built.

The Newquay signature tune from the late fiftees for several decades was a tune not many will remember today.The song was 'Irene Good Night'

One verse of the song went like this,

Last Saturday night I got married,

Me and my wife settled down,

Now me and my wife are parted,

I think I'll go out on the town.

Jiggy is quite correct when he said this tune would blare out when the Newquay team ran out onto the field on match days, from under the grandstand in those days where the changing rooms were situated before new changing rooms were built.

. I remember getting changed under there,under 18,s final I think