Cornwall Football Forum

Pre-Season Friendlies

Holsworthy AFC (SWPL Div One West) under new management require Pre-season Friendlies.

Ideally looking for SWPL Premier clubs as obviously would prefer not to play someone from the same division and also preferably away if possible, for the following dates:

Saturday 13th July 2013

Saturday 20th July 2013

Saturday 27th July 2013

Saturday 3rd August 2013

Saturday 10th August 2013

Assuming that the new SWPL season for Division One clubs will be Saturday 17th August 2013

Can arrange double headers if desired.

Please contact Kevin Taylor on (07935) 201491 or PM me on here in the first instance :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with getting the pre season plans in place, as a player it says to me that things are going to be taken seriously and done properly, makes holsworthy seem a lot more appealing as a potential club for next season (not that I'm suggesting that's where I'll be of course)

Nothing wrong with getting the pre season plans in place, as a player it says to me that things are going to be taken seriously and done properly, makes holsworthy seem a lot more appealing as a potential club for next season (not that I'm suggesting that's where I'll be of course)

If you think that, change your name to donkey then. LOL.

What's wrong with holsworthy?

People always want to have a dig at clubs for have poor seasons, but in this case when they are putting measures in place to try and improve they are still in the wrong.....

Maybe they didn't have the best of seasons last year but as the post says, "under new management".....

When I last went there, although the pitch was very heavy, the rest of the set up was reasonable!

It's comments like this that ruin forums, shame that you have nothing sensible to contribute.......

And before you become all smug about getting a "bite" I'll ask my question again......

What is wrong with holsworthy?

And what is wrong with starting preparation early?

Serious questions, which I am willing to take on board and discuss the answers to, if you are able to come up with a valid reply.......

"Obviously" would suggest you know I am only a player for a fact, well you are incorrect, I am we'll aware of what it takes to run a club, and at a higher level than step 7.....

I would like to direct you to the various clubs at step 4,5 and 6 in Gloucestershire and the West Midlands that have got a complete prevseason schedule planned already......

You may require a rest, which as a club volunteer (I've made an assumption here) you are fully entitled to, however, if the holsworthy management team are enjoying their new role, why would they not want to get plans in place.

I'm also aware the season hasn't finished for everyone yet, but why should that mean you can't look to next season if your games are over?

Out if interest, which club are you involved with?

Obviously you are both players, with not an inkling of what it takes to run a football club. You just turn up and play, go home and think you've done a good job. Well, some of us need a rest.

This season has not finished yet, what bit of that did you not understand. HEEE HAWWW!!!!!!!

Players do get a nice long rest, but as a manager / coach etc We hardly ever take a break and like 'the Horse' and Savo have said (and in Savo's case know from experience) the sooner the pre-season games are arranged the sooner we can get our training schedules organised as well.

I had 5 1/2 seasons as manager at Bere Alston and only took a holiday during pre-season once only missing two friendlies and never missed a league game and could count on the fingers of one hand the times I didn't take the training.

I'm a firm believer in proper planning and making things as easy (not the training) for players as possible. Unfortunately that's not always appreciated by some players but if you're trying to attract better players to your club it goes a long way if you can show an ounce of professionalism in the way you set up and go about things.

Once the friendlies are sorted and you know when players are going to be away on holiday etc, it's so much easier to plan for your training sessions and matches.

Nothing worse than having no-one turn up from training cause they didn't know or weren't available for matches or having to arrange meaningless matches against poor teams you are not going to benefit from playing because you left it too late to sort things out. Players end up paying lip service to those type of matches and end up getting injured before the season has even started....testing them in harder friendlies organised well in advance is so much better for all concerned and also helps with team bonding especially if your potentially going into the season with a large majority of new players.

It would be nice if the players, once they've had their weeks in Magaluf, Ibiza, Kavos, Aya Napa etc would do there own bit to come back a little less out of condition but we all know that barring the odd one or two that isn't going to happen so the sooner we have everything in place the easier it's gonna be to get the lads into shape and ready to hit the ground running.

CoachKT provisionally I'll say that Newquay can give you a friendly, but unfortunately can't confirm till the management positions are all sorted, plus reserve side still have 2 games remaining, but if you still need a fixture filling in a couple of weeks then give me a shout.

CoachKT provisionally I'll say that Newquay can give you a friendly, but unfortunately can't confirm till the management positions are all sorted, plus reserve side still have 2 games remaining, but if you still need a fixture filling in a couple of weeks then give me a shout.

Cheers Savo

Hello Kevin thanks for your message. Unfortunately the Bovey Management have already made plans for games and pre season that we won't be able to play a friendly with you.

However for some of you why is a pre season schedule not ideal to plan as the season has finished? Bovey have already been in contact with one club and got a game organised already at Mill Marsh Park

Older is absolutely right. There are too many games already. Instead of encouraging a load of Devonian donkeys to churn up the pitch before the grass has even bedded in, send them down to Newquay for a turn on the beach ! They were a stronger club when the summer was spent going round Mount Wise on four feet than letting that American nonsense take place ! Some of these managers suck all the money out of clubs anyway and then just move on to ruin somebody else. Not in the same class as Steve Curnow or Dave Fisher.

What's wrong with Holsworthy ? Well, for a start, it's not St Just. Moreover, it's not even in Cornwall. And they used to wear a very silly orange away strip. I remember their first ever game in the old South Western League. It was at Penlee Park and they lost 5-1 to Penzance despite my enthusiastic and very vocal support, taking the lead in about 20 seconds through somebody called Madge passing to somebody called Cobbledick. Sounds like The Simpsons. Silly names too.

Older knows what he's talking about. These youngsters should show more respect !

Just for the record, I don't hear anyone moaning about too many games when Phil Hiscox usually gets the SWPL fixtures out by the first week in June, perhaps he should announce them on Friday 16th August!!

Not intending to play any more games than usual in pre-season and luckily because we've planned things early we're close to being sorted which will give us plenty of time to speak to prospective new players knowing that we can tell them who we're playing and when.

Any team / club not wanting us 'Devonian Donkeys' to come and churn up their newly laid pitches doesn't have to respond.....simple!

Rumours! Ask Godolphin about my goal from 40 yards! Ask anyone about my awesome six pack and physique. The sad thing is I have lost a bit of pace...but the funny thing is I am still faster than most! I just need coaching! :)

Roger are you playing again next season?

Surely not?

Someone mentioned you were struggling with the pace and fitness?

In your time you were a very good striker...

Having spoken with Roger, I only wish everyone had the same level of commitment and determination......I have no doubt that he'll be the first one on the training ground come the start of pre-season training and be will out to prove that he's still got what it takes to be an integral part of our squad......On or off the pitch he'll be an inspiration to everyone at the club next season.....including me!!

Older is absolutely right. There are too many games already. Instead of encouraging a load of Devonian donkeys to churn up the pitch before the grass has even bedded in, send them down to Newquay for a turn on the beach ! They were a stronger club when the summer was spent going round Mount Wise on four feet than letting that American nonsense take place ! Some of these managers suck all the money out of clubs anyway and then just move on to ruin somebody else. Not in the same class as Steve Curnow or Dave Fisher.

What's wrong with Holsworthy ? Well, for a start, it's not St Just. Moreover, it's not even in Cornwall. And they used to wear a very silly orange away strip. I remember their first ever game in the old South Western League. It was at Penlee Park and they lost 5-1 to Penzance despite my enthusiastic and very vocal support, taking the lead in about 20 seconds through somebody called Madge passing to somebody called Cobbledick. Sounds like The Simpsons. Silly names too.

Older knows what he's talking about. These youngsters should show more respect !

Merv Madge - top player in the North Cornwall area for years! I'm not from Holsworthy but after our boys visited St.Just for the first time this year, I can assure you that they are not too keen on going back! Pot kettle black

Gentlemen from Devon, please don't take TOIGTBIW and Issacs comments too seriously! They are both elderly Cornish nut jobs on here winding us good folk from Cornwall up every week! Please don't let their ludicrous idiotic comments spread over the border and offend as well!!!

you aint wrong are ya?

pre season is all about hope and horizons

i think those two are twilight ! and should be counterwound

Gentlemen from Devon, please don't take TOIGTBIW and Issacs comments too seriously! They are both elderly Cornish nut jobs on here winding us good folk from Cornwall up every week! Please don't let their ludicrous idiotic comments spread over the border and offend as well!!!

Hang on sticker....I did apologise !!!!! I do however like your description of me. As for Isaac...he's way nuttier than me. LOL.

BoveyTracey7..... :) Bovey Tracey must have clearly moved up the league since I left....NOT.

Best..... for some reason people seem fixated with age. Kevin Phillips is 39...the Championship must be a rubbish league if he is still playing! Ryan Giggs???..... the Premiership must be rubbish if you have players at that age still playing! The Southern League must be rubbish if Steve Claridge is still playing....at his age

Some people decide to stop for their own reason. I still get a buzz about that Saturday feeling....when that buzz is gone then maybe I will play vets ...once a month. :)

Yes but Boney comparing world class players to you of course they're still good enough to play even if they get less game time by being on the bench. But saying that no-one complained about hayles when he went back to truro he was still knocking them in so keep it up. As for what you think of Bovey keep it to yourself and think about your own side and what you want to achieve next season

Chomp! Big bite! :) When I resigned in November, Bovey had the 3rd best discipline in the league.....now you are near the bottom again. I might be a "lovely guy".... who in your opinion cannot manage but I know how to discipline people! :D

Hey Rog, had the pleasure of playing against you since we were whipper snappers right through to vets league and im sure anyone who knows football will testify what a great player and bloke you are. And still are no doubt knowing your fitness even at our age!! When we were at Falmouth Town winning everything in the late eighties and early ninties you were always one that was singled out by Trevor or Ray in our team talks as being a threat and we had some pretty awesome defenders in those days!! I agree that the standard from what ive seen over the last few seasons has dropped a little at SWL level but to still be playing and scoring goals at 46? is fantastic and an absolute credit to you. Best wishes as always and keep playing as long as you can mate. Rappo :thumbsup::c:

Yeah, WAY nuttier than TOIGTBIW, but much, much younger and better looking.

St. Icker. Mm. Played there once, St Just were short and desperate. Not unusual when you all work down a tin mine and keep banging your head. 1970s, I think. There were no flush lavatories, you changed two fields away and there were cows on the pitch. Felt pretty much like home. Liked the place and have employed a dogminder there since.

Bude. Well, it's practically in Devon, isn't it ? Not that I've anything against Devon, there's got to be a boring bit to drive across to get to Cornwall. And after the Somerset levels, anything would be an improvement. Don't know why the team that put the Tinners out of the Senior Cup wouldn't want to return: as far as I know they all got back down Newbridge Hill with the right number of ears and other bits. Last time they came down in the Senior Cup St Just beat them 3-0. They were doing quite well till their number 2 and number 11 starting beating each other up over a missed penalty. The name Barriball springs to mind. Quite understandable, really.

Realtycheck. Ah yes, you're the guy who is responsible for leaving St Just as the only Combo Founder Member club never to drop out of the league. Used to enjoy visiting Mount Wise; it's a pity.

What was the issue again ? Pre-season friendlies in Holsworthy ? Yeah, good idea, better than eating your children any day ! :c::yahoo:

Chomp! Big bite! :) When I resigned in November, Bovey had the 3rd best discipline in the league.....now you are near the bottom again. I might be a "lovely guy".... who in your opinion cannot manage but I know how to discipline people! :D

Yes but even if bovey had a different discipline record after you left how many times in a season have you come into a club and gone 12 games with only losing 1 game and that was with a depleted squad as well? Are you trying to get yourself in the market again. Saltash and Newquay currently looking for Managers. You've worked with Bovey who are improving but can you handle the likes of two of the best sides in the League.

Anyway back to pre season friendlies!

Yeah, WAY nuttier than TOIGTBIW, but much, much younger and better looking.

St. Icker. Mm. Played there once, St Just were short and desperate. Not unusual when you all work down a tin mine and keep banging your head. 1970s, I think. There were no flush lavatories, you changed two fields away and there were cows on the pitch. Felt pretty much like home. Liked the place and have employed a dogminder there since.

Bude. Well, it's practically in Devon, isn't it ? Not that I've anything against Devon, there's got to be a boring bit to drive across to get to Cornwall. And after the Somerset levels, anything would be an improvement. Don't know why the team that put the Tinners out of the Senior Cup wouldn't want to return: as far as I know they all got back down Newbridge Hill with the right number of ears and other bits. Last time they came down in the Senior Cup St Just beat them 3-0. They were doing quite well till their number 2 and number 11 starting beating each other up over a missed penalty. The name Barriball springs to mind. Quite understandable, really.

Realtycheck. Ah yes, you're the guy who is responsible for leaving St Just as the only Combo Founder Member club never to drop out of the league. Used to enjoy visiting Mount Wise; it's a pity.

What was the issue again ? Pre-season friendlies in Holsworthy ? Yeah, good idea, better than eating your children any day ! :c::yahoo:

please explain if its not halucnagens that fuel your nonsensical devoid of football insight ramblings

Rappo...you are a star! From one forward to another...nothing hurt more than looking back at the defence and seeing you making clever blind side runs and scoring!!!! What hurt the most was your over the top celebrations...and your loyal fans! You just had to be there to appreciate it all. Love ya!

Boveytracey1... I will never manage again! There is another topic on Newquay and Hoops.... read it. The generation of players now.... the excuses and hassle! After a good result one week you are surprised that the following week you have 8 players...you ask mates to help out...and the following week the absent ones return to play... but again in two weeks time they cannot play as it's their girlfriend's birthday ...or a friend moving to uni that they have to help with! No commitment! And they sometimes attend training sessions....Oh back on topic...and they cannot attend most of preseason because they are working as it's a busy time.

So you pick people who you can depend on.... and the team doesn't appear 'local'. Then the people who you depend on.....start the same thing over again...work etc etc. Great! To be fair... I have what they don't have...stability! Good luck to Ryan!

You have just echoed many managers thoughts here Roger, it is harder and harder to arrange, organise, manipulate and persuade players.

I have played football with/against you and Rappo and can honestly say that if more players had your dedication the league would be in a much healthier state.

MQx