Cornwall Football Forum

While reading the excellent " A View From The Terraces - One Hundred Years Of The Western League" , I have noticed that a team called "Plymouth City" played the 1970-71 season in the Western League , and finished 7th .After that , they appear to have disappeared .

I am intrigued to know if anybody knows who they were ,where they played ,who played for them and what became of the club . Got a feeling it could be one for Mike Odgers .

There doesn't seem to be any documented history to this artificially created club.

Plymouth City played only that one season and dont seem to have evolved from any other club.

Pennycross Stadium does come to mind as their home ground

Wasn't Peter Williams (Brother of "Argyle's" Johnny?) a key man in its formation ?

They did have two Pre Season Friendlies with Falmouth Town who in 1970-71 began their 8 consecutive league titles.

25-07-70 PSF Falmouth Town 0 Plymouth City 1 (Peter Bennett)

05-08-70 PSF Plymouth City 2 Falmouth Town 1 (David May 2)

On another topic does anyone know the history of-

Louis (Boutique) International, S.W.L.1975-79?

Yes - remember Louis International in the SWL. They played at Brickfields and I think they may have started as a Sunday League side around the same era as Riviera Coasters (which was formed by St.Austell supporters) and which went on to become a decent ECPL team. Teams had much better names back then!

SWL - LOUIS INTERNATIONAL

1975-76 Joined South Western League
Two points awarded when Porthleven failed to turn up for fixture
1980 Left South Western League

SEASON LEAGUE P W D L F A P POS

1975-76 SW 35 16 13 6 67 37 47 * 6/19
1976-77 SW 34 11 8 15 45 59 30 12/18
1977-78 SW 32 12 5 15 50 59 29 13/17
1978-79 SW 36 15 10 11 57 52 40 7/19
1979-80 SW 36 15 11 10 57 55 41 8/19

Return to Index

Please acknowledge the F.C.H.D. when using this information elsewhere

Other clubs who played SWL during that period included, Bugle, Ottery St Mary, St Lukes College, Illogan RBL, Elmore, Plymouth Command, Plymouth Argyle, Plymouth Civil Service, Torrington, Appledore, Newton Abbot.

RIVIERA COASTERS

? Joined East Cornwall Premier League
1996 Left East Cornwall Premier League

SEASON LEAGUE P W D L F A P POS

1990-91 E CORN 36 11 12 13 64 72 34 9/19
1991-92 E CORN 34 8 7 19 57 78 23 15/18
1992-93 E CORN 34 8 2 24 45 104 18 15/18
1993-94 E CORN 34 4 4 26 35 135 12 17/18
1994-95 E CORN 34 8 1 25 42 82 25 17/18
1995-96 E CORN 36 4 0 32 26 144 12 19/19

Return to Index

Please acknowledge the F.C.H.D. when using this information elsewhere

Yes Plymouth City started in the West Devon Sunday league and were formely Pussycat Club that was owned by Johnny Weight. We entered the national sunday cup and were beaten by a club called Theale (near Reading). They entered a team in the Western League but I think it only lasted a season or two.

No, Louis started in the Sunday league being sponsered by the shop of the same name that was owned by the Bloom bros. The Devon Wednesday League's team was John Conway, another mens clothes shop in Plymouth, both teams being very successfull in their leagues being full of South Western League players

I stand corrected karaoke.

You have an excellent memory my friend

I had a few games in the Devon Wednesday League for a team sponsored by a grocers called ( I think ) Jasons !

I only played when they were short as the rest of the team were SW League or P & D Premier standard - Far better than me, but I like to think I didn't disgrace myself, and it was probably preferable to playing with 10 men

I stand corrected karaoke.

You have an excellent memory my friend

I had a few games in the Devon Wednesday League for a team sponsored by a grocers called ( I think ) Jasons !

I only played when they were short as the rest of the team were SW League or P & D Premier standard - Far better than me, but I like to think I didn't disgrace myself, and it was probably preferable to playing with 10 men

Not a great memory but I did play for both Plymouth City and John Conway and must say the standard of both leagues at that time made it good to play in . (Also Jasons was a little shop in Crownhill )

David Bray will know the Riviera Coasters answers I should think.Hombush Inn was a regular haunt of some players if my memory seves me correctly.

The history of Riviera Coasters has been well documented however just to clarify.

Coasters started off in the Truro & District Sunday League in 1967/68. A St.Austell based club who began as a 'kick about' bunch of lads who met up on a Sunday afternoon at Mt.Charles Park. Formed an affiliated club and joined the T&DSL which at that time was the only Sunday League operating in Cornwall. And it was afternoon kick offs. Moved to the Mid Cornwall Sunday League formed in 1969/70. Switched to Saturday Football and the Duchy League in 1973/74.

East Cornwall Premier in 1981/82. Could print a lot more but this is the basic history of the club.

Coasters were definitely still playing Sunday league ( as well as Sats I assume ) in 1976 - 77 Season. As a spotty little seventeen year old I played for Harbour Moon ( Looe ) in a Sunday morning league that included Coasters, Tywardreath RBL, Penwithick, Luxulyan & George & Dragon ( Bodmin)

Some very good players in that league - taught me a lot in a short time.

George & Dragon won the league most seasons - Big Al Hodge was playing if I remember rightly

Penwithick boys played for Bridges(luxulyan) on sundays back then Brian.Great times, Saturdays before games all of us would be up at Penwithick club playing cards/darts /pool.Play Saturday afternoon then out on Saturday night ,back to curry wagon if you had,nt pulled, and then down for a morning kick off on sunday. Then back to Bridges pub at lunchtime where they really looked after you with food and beer.

Lots of trophys and lots of fun,compare that to today when most clubhouses are empty an hour after game has finished.

George were a good side,took it a bit serious for sunday football though ,preferred playing Drum major :drink:

Al Hodge - legend

We also won the ccfa sunday cup a couple of times back then as well with Penwithick.