Cornwall Football Forum

From what I have been informed by our chairman, we (Probus) are now in Division 1 next season and St.Austell, Fowey, Mevagissey, Bude and Holsworthy will be as well. I'm not sure if any team has gone from division 1 to Premier though other than the 2 that were already promoted. I am sure ECPL can confirm.

New Constitution of 32 teams

Premier Division

Bere Alston United

Callington Town Reserves

Elburton Villa Reserves

Kilkhampton

Launceston Reserves

Liskeard Athletic Reserves

Millbrook

Morwenstow

Plymouth Parkway Reserves

Polperro

Saltash United Reserves

St Dominick

St Teath

Tavistock Reserves

Torpoint Athletic Reserves

Wadebridge Town Reserves

Division One

Bodmin Town Reserves

Bude Town Reserves

Camelford Reserves

Edgcumbe

Fowey

Holsworthy Reserves

Lanreth

Mevagissy

Nanpean Rovers

Plymstock United Reserves

Probus

Roche

St Austell Reserves

St Blazey Reserves

St Blazey Gate

St Stephens Borough

At least we now have 8 or 9 teams within about 20 miles of us, whereas if we stayed in the Premier the travelling would have been even greater than it was this season just gone. However the draw for the League Cup is quite ironic....Plymouth Parkway v Probus! Then the divisional cup....Edgcumbe v Probus!

League Cup Draws

Rowett Insurance League Cup.

First Round Draw: Plymouth Parkway v Probus, Bere Alston United v Polperro, Morwenstow v Millbrook, Bodmin Town v St Blazey, Nanpean Rovers v Torpoint Athletic, Wadebridge Town v Lanreath, Mevagissy v Plymstock United, Tavistock v Kilkhampton St Austell v Holsworthy, Camelford v St Dominick, Edgcumbe v Saltash United, St Stephens Borough v St Blazey Gate, Callington Town v Liskeard Athletic, Roche v Elburton Villa, Fowey v St Teath, Bude Town v Launceston

Second Round: Plymouth Parkway/Probus v Bere Alston United/Polperro, Morwenstow/Millbrook v Bodmin Town/St Blazey, Nanpean Rovers/Torpoint Athletic v Wadebridge Town/Lanreath, Mevagissy/Plymstock United v Tavistock/Kilkhampton, St Austell/Holsworthy v Camelford/St Dominick, Edgcumbe/Saltash United v St Stephens Borough/St Blazey Gate, Callington Town/Liskeard Athletic v Roche/Elburton Villa, Fowey/St Teath v Bude Town/Launceston

Premier Division Cup

First Round: Bere Alston United v St Dominick, Launceston v Wadebridge Town, Callington Town v KIllhampton, Polperro v Millbrook, St Teath v Morwenstow, Plymouth Parkway v Tavistock, Liskeard Athletic v Torpoint Athletic, Saltash United v Elburton Villa

Second Round: Bere Alston United/St Dominick v Launceston/Wadebridge Town, Callington Town/Kilkhampton v Polperro/Millbrook, St Teath/Morwenstow v Plymouth Parkway/Tavistock

Liskeard Athletic/Torpoint Athletic v Saltash United/Elburton Villa

Division One Cup

First Round: Bodmin Town v Lanreath, Edgcumbe v Probus, Roche v Bude Town, Mevagissy v Plymstock United, Holsworthy v St Blazey, St Blazey Gate v St Austell, Nanpean Rovers v Fowey

St Stephens Borough v Camelford

Second Round: Bodmin Town/Lanreath v Edgcumbe/Probus, Roche/Bude Town v Mevagissy/Plymstock United, Holsworthy/St Blazey v St Blazey Gate/St Austell, Nanpean Rovers/Fowey v St Stephens Borough/Camelford

Could somebody please tell me the point , of slogging your guts out all season, playing to win every game, getting yourself into a position to get promoted and PROGRESS and then turning it down?

I have never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life. As for dropping out of leagues, dear o dear. I have nothing but respect for Roche, i played there, great club and great people. same with Probus and St Stephens, but i cannot agree with it at all!

It makes a mockery of everything, do you think that because Crystal Palace won the play off final, now it will be tricky in the premier league with a "bit of travelling" they could say to the FA, we dont fancy that lads, we'll stay where we are?

Teams get promoted, teams should be promoted, teams are in a higher league, they MUST stay in a higher league, thats where you are, deal with it. What is the point in starting the season if you have no intention of the final outcome?

In cricket, if you get promoted to county one, which is a high standard of cricket, you have to play in it, you start earlier, you have long trips, it becomes serious. The teams that get there just cant say, oh we dont fancy it as we'll get beat every week, they have to go and get better players and get on with it!!!

I know this is a rant, but it makes a mockery of it all in my opinion. why is everyone saying well done ecpl for sorting out peoples travelling?? if you get promoted, you have to play the teams in your league, thats a fact! who cares where it is??

if a team has no intention of going up at the end of a season, or no intention of remaining in a league they have worked hard to get to, they shouldnt start the season.

People will be annoyed at it, but thats my opinion.

Could somebody please tell me the point , of slogging your guts out all season, playing to win every game, getting yourself into a position to get promoted and PROGRESS and then turning it down?

I have never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life. As for dropping out of leagues, dear o dear. I have nothing but respect for Roche, i played there, great club and great people. same with Probus and St Stephens, but i cannot agree with it at all!

It makes a mockery of everything, do you think that because Crystal Palace won the play off final, now it will be tricky in the premier league with a "bit of travelling" they could say to the FA, we dont fancy that lads, we'll stay where we are?

Teams get promoted, teams should be promoted, teams are in a higher league, they MUST stay in a higher league, thats where you are, deal with it. What is the point in starting the season if you have no intention of the final outcome?

In cricket, if you get promoted to county one, which is a high standard of cricket, you have to play in it, you start earlier, you have long trips, it becomes serious. The teams that get there just cant say, oh we dont fancy it as we'll get beat every week, they have to go and get better players and get on with it!!!

I know this is a rant, but it makes a mockery of it all in my opinion. why is everyone saying well done ecpl for sorting out peoples travelling?? if you get promoted, you have to play the teams in your league, thats a fact! who cares where it is??

if a team has no intention of going up at the end of a season, or no intention of remaining in a league they have worked hard to get to, they shouldnt start the season.

People will be annoyed at it, but thats my opinion.

With the Probus situation, it was the travelling side of things. Nearest club liskeard 30 miles. Every away game a 2-3.5 hr round trip.

Also home games had no local sides supporters coming to help with their finances. Home games hardly any away supporters coming to watch.

Probus havnt got rich backers like some clubs. Was a case of div 1 or pull out of the Ecpl completely.

in the roche case u play all season to come in the top 2 and get promoted not 4th. we were just short of the top 2 so hopefully next year with some new players coming in we can get promoted. u have got to earn it not have it given to u just my opinion

If the travelling is the problem why don't Probus apply to go in the Combination ?

Agree with knighter, u cant pick and choose what league you play in. What happens if probus win division 1 this year?

They will win a cup and trophies as allways. Will look at that situation if and when it ever happens.

From what I have been informed by our chairman, we (Probus) are now in Division 1 next season and St.Austell, Fowey, Mevagissey, Bude and Holsworthy will be as well. I'm not sure if any team has gone from division 1 to Premier though other than the 2 that were already promoted. I am sure ECPL can confirm.

why were Fowey and Mevagissey promoted from the Duchy league, I thought that only 1 team was allowed promotion from a feeder league or has that changed?

You beat me to it Gooner,when i was at Gunnislake and we lost the league by one point to St Teath was told that you had to win the Duchy Prem to get promoted. If my memory serves me well i think Dave commented on it in his Sunday Independant column as someone had asked the question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_League_System

The Pyramid System currently ends at Step 7B..

All leagues below Step 7B are not recognised within the Pyramid System, therefore there is no promotion relegation to comply with between these leagues.

Any number of team's have the right to apply to join the ECPL from the Dutchy no matter where they finish or what facilities they have.

Whether their application is accepted or not by ECPL is another matter but I believe these two league have/had an 'agreement' between each other for some years so as its likely only one team moves 'up & down' (even though there is no 'up & down').

The only reason is that in Cornwall there is a said grading of Senior & Junior football??? I believe this is only in Cornwall and no where else???

Fact is Dutchy League can't stop any team from applying and if accepted, joining ECPL.

If I'm wrong on this I'm quite happy to be put right as this info is only from what I've recently discussed with other secretaries and chairmen.

the ecpl is becoming a joke when we came in we were told we had to win the duchy league and then told we had to fence our pitch off which cost us over £2000 teams now get away with a little bit of rope

Don't forget all the fuss about getting the dugouts sorted as well Mark.

I think the only thing in the ECPL's defence is that apart from the Peninsula Reserve sides and their obvious higher standard of facilities etc, with three of the best clubs / teams getting promoted to the SWPL one season after another and with St Stephen pulling out as well the number of teams in the League (and ultimately the quality) was dwindling so they had to do something to bring the constitution of the league back up to 16 teams in both divisions which is why Holsworthy Reserves and Bude reserves also got straight in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_League_System

The Pyramid System currently ends at Step 7B..

All leagues below Step 7B are not recognised within the Pyramid System, therefore there is no promotion relegation to comply with between these leagues.

Any number of team's have the right to apply to join the ECPL from the Dutchy no matter where they finish or what facilities they have.

Whether their application is accepted or not by ECPL is another matter but I believe these two league have/had an 'agreement' between each other for some years so as its likely only one team moves 'up & down' (even though there is no 'up & down').

The only reason is that in Cornwall there is a said grading of Senior & Junior football??? I believe this is only in Cornwall and no where else???

Fact is Dutchy League can't stop any team from applying and if accepted, joining ECPL.

If I'm wrong on this I'm quite happy to be put right as this info is only from what I've recently discussed with other secretaries and chairmen.

Holsworthy Res pulled out at the beginning of last season now back in? Why? What league did they play in?

A couple of seasons ago Millbrook Reserves were accepted into the league (under an established club) who's 1st team was in SWPL Div One West... I believe that team was only put together that year?

So it's nothing new if Holsworthy Reseves didn't play in a league last season (?) and are now in ECPL... ECPL is a feeder league but also (due to the amount of Reserves) a Reserve league for SWPL clubs... Hence why Millbrook and Holdworthy are accepted.

As a feeder league it's had is successes recently... Godolphin(?), St Dennis, Sticker now Bude Town!

was anything sorted out at the AGM references Bodmins Town Reserve Team and the going on with their last match of the season?

Did they get points deducted/fined or both?

Just asking the same question again as nobody has yet answered it. If nothing was not done then why wasn't it?

was anything sorted out at the AGM references Bodmins Town Reserve Team and the going on with their last match of the season?

Just asking the same question again as nobody has yet answered it. If nothing was not done then why wasn't it?

Probably safe to say that nothing more will get done Andy.....just because it's Bodmin and last season has probably been put to bed!

Do you want them fined Andy b? You could have gone to the agm and voiced your opinion there? Or maybe write a letter? That would probably be more effective than spouting off on here. I hope your team bere Alston don't run into any difficulties next season

Bodmin were fined £100 for the Polperro issue.

The Supplementry Cup did not do justice to the two Memorial trophies which were awarded, so the Division Cups will raise the status of those. These games will be 90 minutes and then straight to pens. The League Knock-out cup remains the same as before.

Probably safe to say that nothing more will get done Andy.....just because it's Bodmin and last season has probably been put to bed!

When you consider the fantastic job Pete Charlick has done for Bodmin over the past two or three seasons, even more so when you consider he is in poor health, it's the hierarchy at the club that should hang their heads in shame as they have left him in the lurch on more than one occasion with little or no support whatsoever.

As Dave Deacon has stated the club did get a fine for forfeiting the game at Polperro but deducting them points either last season or carried over to next season serves little or no purpose.

Last season has gone now so hopefully with new teams (and managers) bringing the ECPL up to full quota and with two new cup competitions introduced to replace the Supplementary Cup it should make for an exciting season ahead.

It'll be up to the new teams in the League and the four clubs promoted from Division One to prove they were worth it....which I'm sure they all will.

Holsworthy Res did have side last year...although they only finished fourth in the North Devon Kingsley league, teams from that league have been known to apply and get accepted to the North Devon Gazette Senior and Premier league (which is the same on the pyramid as EC Div 1 and prem respectively). I think Ashwater did it last year.

So they haven't just been given a EC Div 1 side.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but..,

did any team get relegated from ECPL Division 1 to Duchy Prem??

St Stephen thought they would be relegated ( by choice ) straight into the duchy prem. There is no rule for this as you have to be in the Ecpl div 1 bottom two to be relegated to the duchy prem. It is going to be sorted out one way or another at the Duchy Agm.

It seems strange that you wouldn't put a team who are effectively relegated straight into the duchy prem.....

I know they didn't finish in a relegation position in the table but its no different to teams taking voluntary relegation higher up the pyramid, for example, sholing and Abingdon Utd in the southern league division 1 south and west.....

They finished in a comfortable position but for various reasons chose to drop out of step 4, both clubs have been placed in the appropriate step 5 division.....

What would happen if a number (say 3 or 4) of East Cornwall teams said they would like to be demoted into Duchy Premier? That might mean that no Duchy 1 sides could get promoted and some existing Prem teams might be in danger of relegation even though they were not in the bottom 2. Not likely, I know, but St Stephen just dropping down could set an unwanted and difficult precedent.

The thing is, st Stephen are basically going to be the named as the relegated club aren't they?

It's the same kind of situation as a club being relegated for not meeting the ground grading of a league isn't it?

Common sense would suggest that they are relegated into the duchy prem, if for no other reason, making them start at the bottom would make a mockery of the bottom couple of leagues for the next 2 or 3 seasons as they hammer everyone in sight, assuming most of their team stay together.

I don't know the answer to that, but.....we don't need to know the answer to it as that isn't the problem that is needing a solution at the moment.

I would guess, if that situation did arise, then the 2 leagues would come to an agreement which would allow more than one team to be promoted in the same way as they have done this season to keep the numbers sensible.

If there were a lot of teams wanting to drop down even putting them in at the bottom of the duchy league structure could cause problems if the league is at capacity already.

As has been agrees, 4 or 5 teams wanting to drop out in one go is unlikely so I think in this case we can apply a common sense solution rather than what if this or that happens in future....