Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town Management?

Before anymore silly rumours get about, Les has decided that due to work commitments he feels he can't put the time into his post of joint manager at this moment in time. He told me he feels terrible about it, and feels he's let me down. Les has always been, and always will be one of my best mates, we've never fallen out, and seeing we've known each other since our school days, I doubt whether that will happen now. It is a pity, but I don't feel he's let me down at all, as football isn't our way of earning a living, so work unfortunately has to come first.

After speaking to the club, they have told me I must do whatever I feel is best for me, and more importantly what I feel is best for the club. I have asked a couple of well known guys if they would like to come onboard with me, but they too have busy working schedules. What I've decided to do for the time being at least is to manage the side on my own, Floydy will assist me, along with input from our head of football Steve Kimberly, and Tom Whipp & Steve Winnan, who I have to say are doing a great job with the pre-season training. Bryn & Westy will also be involved, but If this needs to be looked at again in the future, then I'll look to bring someone else in, Les maybe in a different position then as well? There are some signings already done, in the form of Danny Burrows & Ed Timmons, with a few more in the pipeline. The mood within the group during training is very positive & everyone is looking forward to the big kickoff. From a football pout of view, Les & myself always thought along similar lines, and so in reality not a lot will change, other than a few new faces to stiffen the side up here & there. Even though it was a tough task when we took over, there are many positives to have come out of it all. My enthusiasm is still as strong as it's always been, and after rebuilding Penzance and Truro over the years, nothing phases me with the job I have here. I'm as determined as anyone to pull this great old club around, nobody can say that either Penzance or Truro were left in a worse state than when I arrived, and I'm determined to do the same at Falmouth.

Good luck at bickland Rob, im sure going solo wont worry you. Agree with `Theythinkitsalover` to the extent of replacing players, however couldnt of been that much quality there originally to start/finsh with judging where they finished in the league, so i cant see replacing the players that have left a problem!! Apart from Matt Drummond who i hope scores goals for fun for us at Bodmin!!

Unfortunately without available funds this will not happen. The wealthy clubs will once again be the winners and one can only predict a bottom four finish, This is a shame, but until all of the clubs are on the same financial footing it is always going to be the way.

There can only be one winner, only one team can come first...surely better to spend wisely than to spend big & win nothing!!! I can see Parkway & st.Austell going for top spot the rest just making up the placings, whoever spends big out of the rest are wasting time & some poor buggers money, cos i personally cant see any other teams getting close to Parkway or St Austell with the squads they are assembling. I can see the league being competitive...just not at the top!

Big Al, I agree with you up to a point, and that point being this. The league will undoubtedly be won by a side that shells out a small fortune, and if they can afford to do that, then the best of luck to them? We don't have bucketfuls of money to throw around at Falmouth, but I didn't have that at Truro or Penzance either. I think if you look back through the records the first seasons were tough, and it always is if you're virtually starting from scratch? Some of you critics have never had to manage, along with the guys with big budgets? In my first five year stint at Penzance Spanner & myself, and then Marksy & myself had fairly confortable seasons results wise. we were capable of beating anyone, and on many an occasion we did! in our second season at Truro Les & myself took them to sixth with no budget, and were the first side to beat the then invincible St Blazey for two years at Blaise Park in the league. We also beat a very good Bodmin side that year, before being sacked by the Heaney revolution. My old Mum could manage a team with a load've diosh to throw around every week? Try it with none, then you've got to work at it?

Leeds, if Drummo is fit he will bang goals in for fun, and I do hope for him that he's over the horrible break he had. On behalf if everyone at Falmouth I sincerely wish Matt well.

On another note, my old mate & strike partner of 1979 has asked to come onboard with me at Falmouth, and I've accepted, so Alan Rundle, along with Floydy, will be my able assistants. Alan has been in local football longer than I have, and brings a wealth of experience to the club. Like myself these guys are very determined, and I'm sure every side that's fielded this season will be fired up to walk across the white line.

Big Al, I agree with you up to a point, and that point being this. The league will undoubtedly be won by a side that shells out a small fortune, and if they can afford to do that, then the best of luck to them? We don't have bucketfuls of money to throw around at Falmouth, but I didn't have that at Truro or Penzance either. I think if you look back through the records the first seasons were tough, and it always is if you're virtually starting from scratch? Some of you critics have never had to manage, along with the guys with big budgets? In my first five year stint at Penzance Spanner & myself, and then Marksy & myself had fairly confortable seasons results wise. we were capable of beating anyone, and on many an occasion we did! in our second season at Truro Les & myself took them to sixth with no budget, and were the first side to beat the then invincible St Blazey for two years at Blaise Park in the league. We also beat a very good Bodmin side that year, before being sacked by the Heaney revolution. My old Mum could manage a team with a load've diosh to throw around every week? Try it with none, then you've got to work at it?

Leeds, if Drummo is fit he will bang goals in for fun, and I do hope for him that he's over the horrible break he had. On behalf if everyone at Falmouth I sincerely wish Matt well.

On another note, my old mate & strike partner of 1979 has asked to come onboard with me at Falmouth, and I've accepted, so Alan Rundle, along with Floydy, will be my able assistants. Alan has been in local football longer than I have, and brings a wealth of experience to the club. Like myself these guys are very determined, and I'm sure every side that's fielded this season will be fired up to walk across the white line.

One of the best games I have ever played in! Great result Robbie! :thumbsup:

I hope Alan Rundle was brought in to stop the input coming from your head of football,let a chairman be a chairman not "head of football" he knows nothing about local football players whatsoever (Chelsea yes) last season he tried to pull in players that were unable to hold a place in Mawnans team!

Very true what your all saying this is all a thing of the past! I personally have little to no interest in falmouth town winning or losing, I was merely asking a question! Deadcert was very quick to insult someone but when I dared to question him I'm suddenly "not the brightest person you'll come across"! Anyway druth1966 I have no idea who you are but I'm sure you're a very lovely man. Love you lots

Sorry patch did,nt mean for you to take it as an insult to Retchford, Of course though this is now and not what happened in the past!!!!!!!

Rusty scored from the halfway line and Ragass rovers broke a few hearts was that last friday night or the weekend just gone totally confused now?????????

Why are there no pre-season friendlies, apart from the Gardiner matches this year ?

Probably due to the pitch renovation at Bickland Park.

No Aubrey Wilkes Trophy ??

It looks like Truro first team will play at Kernick Road instead

Thursday 25th.July Penryn Athletic v Truro City 7-30pm