Cornwall Football Forum

Brian Biggin Tournament

G 1sts vs Newquay 2nds.
I watched the second half, should have been more but it seemed like the G players where either trying to walk the ball into the net rather than shooting or score Hollywood goals. Quite a mismatch in the end. G keeper had very little to do in the second half. Someone said G may have had a goal or two disallowed in the first half and hit the post a few times.

Pretty much standard Godolphin 1st team, although there was a random American in goal (He had little to do but his distribution was impressive) - missed the first half but don't think Jamie Lowry or Paco played. Assistant manager Tony Mackellor came off the bench much to the delight of the G fans and rattled home a penalty late in the game. I don't think Tony was ever the fastest but I think some of the G old boys like Cakesy, Steve Carne and Bungy would run him pretty close over 100m these days.

Newquay 2nds GK - Jordan Cole LB Ash Bradshaw CB ??? CB Jed Jenkins RB ??? LM Hayden Turner CM Pete Butterly (Jnr) CM Sheridan Sefton CM ???? RM ???? ATT Sam Mckune (no idea who the subs were)

I for one find it quite disrespectful that Newquay chose not to play their first team yesterday. I think it's a poor choice on their behalf and disrespectful to The Brian Biggin Memorial Trophy. It's also quite disrespectful/disappointing to send their 2nd team out to get slaughtered by a premier divisions first team - what will they ever learn from getting hammered 9-0? By close rivals too!! Must do their confidence a world of good.

Does anyone know Newquays reason for not playing their first team in the tournament they created??

The 1st team took the reserve fixture against Liskeard ECPL @ Mount Wise and Reserves played the Brian Biggin against the G.

Is this comment for real Dudas ? The first team took the second team fixture v Liskeard reserves and sent the second team off to get tanked 9 - 0 by Godolphin, how on earth does that work ? Why would Newquay treat this Brian Biggins memorial match so shoddily. Confused.com

I heard at the game Newquay had a few players missing , but so did the g! No Kyle brown or ollie pinell no Paco no shawn semmens, everyone at the game was disappointed with Newquay ! I find it disrespectful to this charity event ,disrespectful to mrs biggins , and to all the players and supporters,

Most of what is written previously is fair comment. But the Nqy manager is there to manage the football side of the club in whichever way he sees fit. Yes a lot of the 1st team squad were unavailable and the match was no contest but St Agnes suffered a similar fate on Thur. Most thought this match would decide the destination of the Trophy. It certainly did that.

Just to add that there is little love lost between the 2 clubs but that is another story.

With the greatest respest you can make excuses for st.agnes being a smaller club, playing 2 divisions below. I cant imagen the whole 1st team squad un-available?? Seems the 'G' had afew missing aswell. Being the founder club of the tournement & the 'most established' out of the four participating clubs it does seem a little odd. Send the 2nds...let them take the beating, clever!

Well i met andy the new 2nd team manager a couple of weeks ago, i hope this does not affect his squad after all his efforts trying to get a team nearly from scratch this year borrowing 5-6 players at the beggining of the season for the 1st team. i hope it not going to be like that all season or else it will be a long season for him and players. Has for the BRIAN BIGGINS tourni i have to say brian was a good block and being involved and knowing him at the club nqy should be going all out to win this , this is my personal opion though... good luck to u andy this season, i am not slagging the club off but would like to see more locals doing well

Just personal view i thought Alan and Savo and Newquay got it spot on , Great bit of management and you can see how experienced those guys are , If Clough or Ferguson had done it everyone would have said what a master stroke of brilliance ,Alan is getting a side together for the season and putting things in place why would he go to their bitter rivals who,s only interest is beating and finishing above Newquay .

This fixture was never going to be a friendly so Newquay made total the right call by giving some of the youngsters a taste of the local derby while giving other players a game against Liskeard with out the fear of a late tackle this early in pre season ,Newquay full filled the fixture and good luck to the G in the tourni ,

When i heard about it i thought now that's experienced management, Totally the right call , Just my view ,

Have to disagree Metts! Both Newquay and the G would of been in the same boat! We had more than 4 players out too! And the Repercussions of late tackles could of been on either side!! Both teams are Professional enough to not let a friendly Charitable game get in the way of what could happen in the league ! All the best for Newquay in that case if that's a great management Decision!!!

I took in the first half of the 'G' match and was disappointed that the majority of supporters, and Sandra in particular, were not advised that the Reserves were to play. I headed off to Mount Wise for the 2nd half, I had been asked to get some pics of SWPL players for the new front cover of the programme. There were a few negative comments on the day, I admit to making some myself.

Having listened to some of the arguments and silly comments too, I'd like to throw this one out to the forum. Where does it say that this is a first team competition ?, Yes first teams have played in the past, but this does not mean that it is compulsory. Indeed, Wadebridge were due to send a 2nd team to Perranporth, anyone complain ? I think the 120 or so paying supporters, and Godolphin, were annoyed and/or disappointed as it had not been advertised in advance that it would not be the SWPL side playing. It turns out that the Reserves were not told until Thursday that they would be playing, a lack of communication from either the club and/or management appears to be the problem.

I personally feel that two sides from the same division should NOT play each other pre-season, regardless of which clubs are involved. I understand that Alan Carey made this clear too when he was advised of the fixtures a while back, perhaps if everyone had been told well in advance, we would not be discussing the matter.

Anyway, a Newquay AFC XI will face St Agnes tonight at Mount Wise Stadium 7.30pm, I think we will have to wait and see which players are asked to play. There are some Injuries, some Holidays and others Working, so we may well see players from all four Newquay sides at some stage or another.

Regardless of the arguments, The Friends of Newquay Hospital will benefit from these matches, perhaps that is the most important point, I'm certain that Sandra would agree.

Just personal view i thought Alan and Savo and Newquay got it spot on , Great bit of management and you can see how experienced those guys are , If Clough or Ferguson had done it everyone would have said what a master stroke of brilliance ,Alan is getting a side together for the season and putting things in place why would he go to their bitter rivals who,s only interest is beating and finishing above Newquay .

This fixture was never going to be a friendly so Newquay made total the right call by giving some of the youngsters a taste of the local derby while giving other players a game against Liskeard with out the fear of a late tackle this early in pre season ,Newquay full filled the fixture and good luck to the G in the tourni ,

When i heard about it i thought now that's experienced management, Totally the right call , Just my view ,

I wonder if Derek Martin will take a leaf out of the "Newquay's World Famous Managerial decisions handbook" (according to Alan Metters) and send their under 10's team to fulfil the fixture?

The competition has been made a laughing stock by Newquay, maybe next season more "TESTING" friendlies may be decided upon and Newquay can play the competition between their own 4 teams? That way they will be sure to win it.

Well papered over Nemesis!! Surely tho the aim of the four clubs is/were to raise as much money as possible, which would mean playing as full of team as possible!? How many spectators would of attended this 'mis match' if they had known before hand that it was to be a 2nd team? Credit to derek martyn for showing the respect it deserves, whats the point of participating in a tournement if u aint going to play your best team?? Strangely tho newquay sent a full first team to wadebridge in the same competition!!

Whilst I can understand how Godolphin feel with the loss of bar/canteen revenue/50/50 etc ,this was never going to be a full first team fixture and it never should be whilst both teams are playing in the same league,can you see Man U and Man city going head to head in a pre season friendly unless it is in Asia where they are both guaranteed massive payouts and kit sales.

A Newquay team played Liskeard 2nds and Newquay had 6 first team players and the rest were either working ,holidays or injured or in the case of some playerswho had to travel a distance a day off as they also have a game on monday evening,it gave the manager a chance to have a look at some new players and young players within the club.

Just for the record, there are 5 clubs involved this year, Wadebridge, Newquay, Godolphin, Perranporth and St Agnes.

I'm not defending anyone, I have said that mistakes were made and many including myself, were unhappy on Saturday. Sorry Bazzer, I only counted 5 SWPL players, Tom, Elliot, Luke, Jack & Rob (sub)... did I miss someone in the first half ?

I get the feeling that some of the forum posters want to be managers, they all seem to know what to do, how and when, I'm sure that Hayle could have done with them recently.

So I am aware Wadebridge arranged a match with Witheridge prior to fixtures for this game being announced hence playing 2nd teamers.

That said once the Witheridge game was cancelled due to a no of 1st XI picking up knocks from 3 previous games, 1st XI players available did travel and compete at Perranporth. Slightly different to Newquays situation.

Metts, Your constant brown nosing and sucking up to certain people makes you look quite pathetic and now seems to know no limits. Whilst at the same time you always seem to be taking sly digs and pot shots at Godolphin. I'm not sure how many times you have seen Alex Furgeson pull off such "masterstrokes" as sending his up and coming players into action to cover for their 1st team, to lose 9 0 and have their confidence destroyed in the process because I can remember none. You insulted Godolphin (as usual) by saying Newquay first team were in fear of "late Tackles" so it was better to play Liskeard reserves, and you insulted Godolphin again by saying that their only aim is "to beat Newquay and finish above them." Well that's not the Godolphin I know and am proud to support so you must be talking about a different Godolphin. Come to think of it maybe their are also 2 Alex Fergusons, 2 Danny Carne's and 2 different definitions of the word "masterstroke".

I'm not from up your end of the county but find that all this nit-picking and moaning is more disrespectful to The Brian Biggin Memorial Trophy than anythink that the teams are doing,it just seems that most of you are using his name to have a go at certain teams,Gents for the sake of the competition and the charity stop carping on about who played for who and who did what.Honestly it will be alright!!!!!

Forums are about peoples opinions and with that you expect reply s to your posts, I am happy to hear and read peoples reply s because when i put a post its in a football way and not aimed at an individual club , It would be the same if St Blazey played Biscovey in a tournament and they played a select 11 not complete first team players in supporters opinions, Supporters get wrapped up in their own clubs and we football people understand that , This is were banter comes into the views as long as its not personal its fine , I still say Newquay AFC approached this fixture correctly and that's my opinion ! Local Derby's are only two of the many fixtures teams play during the season so the bigger picture needs to be looked at , At the moment the G are ahead in terms of longevity of management placings coaches ext, The squad are settled and they have just come up winning most of their fixtures , So the first half of the season they will get off to a great start (well i hope ) , Newquay are rebuilding and will continue to do so , If a manager shows his skills in looking after his squad well it shows his experience , If the supports turned up to watch the fixture how would that affect takings ? regardless of what players wore the red of Newquay and the blue of the G i am sure the players only cared about the playing football, There has been good reply s and personal reply s but that's life , Newquay will always be the biggest club in the town (i am not saying the best but biggest ) THAT IS JUST A FACT !, of football , The town my self support football in Newquay from the G to Minor , Sometimes i am dammed if i do and dammed if i don't lol , I stated the G should be in the top 6 and could push for top 3 , that was wrong ha ha , if i put the G will struggle that would have been wrong because i only believe the G will be a top 6 side and if they are not then they will under achieve this season , and for the record if Newquay fail to finish mid table they will also under achieve but everyone understands this , Well proper football people will , and finally My father was a good friend with Brian and they spent many hours chatting about the game , I class Brian as a personal friend to myself and i know he would not bat an eye lid over this and just have enjoyed the game , Metts

Charity matches should only highlight how much money has been raised and for which charity it has been raised. Politics of football mean very little and if these tournaments bring people through the gates and a charity benefits then the targets have been met!!

People often forget the reason behind the hard work, the amount of time and effort needed to organise these events and ultimately, where the funds go.

Let it go now and lets get on with the season!!

MQx

Charity matches should only highlight how much money has been raised and for which charity it has been raised. Politics of football mean very little and if these tournaments bring people through the gates and a charity benefits then the targets have been met!!

People often forget the reason behind the hard work, the amount of time and effort needed to organise these events and ultimately, where the funds go.

Let it go now and lets get on with the season!!

MQx

Well said Sir

Wow!! Anyone catch the back page of the press, informed that a very angry & frank assesment by Derek Martin on last weeks procedings, & i believe that Trevor Mewton even agreed with Derek & that he was blind/embarrest at the decision taken by the management of Newquay!!! Not a happy man by the sounds of it, anyone see it?

As Trevor is (still, I believe) Director of football at Nqy plus organiser of the BBMT, it must put him in a no-win situation.

I think the 1st team are playing today (or those that are available) so hoping for a performance similar to that at Wade.

Wowo, no one slagging Newquay off for 3 days so someone rakes up old news, literally, it was in the papers on Wednesday, although matey from the CG wasn't even at the game, lazy reporting from them as usual.

Anyway, last two games today - St Agnes v Wadebridge 2.00pm & Perranporth v Newquay 4.00pm. Yes it will be the SWPL side, ressies are playing in less than half hour v Parkway 2nds or VOV.

Thanks for your interest, go and watch some football !