Cornwall Football Forum

Illogan Combo require friendly this saturday 10th Aug

unfortunately we have been let down again last minute and Holsworthy have just cancelled the pre season friendly we had arranged for saturday! Looking for any teams that are interested in a friendly at our ground at Oxland Park, referee etc obviously all sorted out, 2pm or 3pm kick off, open to either, if any teams are interested either pm me or contact me , Mark James on 07730 558012 or Mike Pascoe on 07449 413043, many thanks

Couldn't get a side out yet there 2nds still have a game, shows the management don't have any faith in them as tomorrow could of been there Chance to impress and maybe push for a 1st team place

Both our 2nd & 3rd teams have games tomorrow.

Had it been a case of the 1st team missing a few then of course we would have taken some from the 2nd team who would have in turn probably taken some from the 3rd team (who would then have been a bit light) and all three games could have still gone ahead.

However for one reason or another the 1st team had a total of NINE players unavailable for tomorrow so to honour our game would have meant cancelling one of the others (one of which is at home) and would have meant that the young lads that weren't taken with the 1st or 2nd team team would have been sat twiddling their thumbs without a game (and also their prospective opponents) tomorrow.

Although harsh on Illogan (for which I apologise), it was my decision to cancel our game (albeit on Thursday afternoon) to give them a chance to get a replacement (seeing as they were at home).

Also had to take into account that (for a friendly) there was no guarantee I would have got nine players prepared (or available) to step in to travel to Illogan at late notice. If it were a league game we would have obviously fulfilled the fixture, but rather have those players unavailable this week than next week when the League season starts.

It's ok we have stepped up to the plate to push ourselves in pre season!!

Would like to add many thanks to Paul at Carharrack and Martin at West cornwall for calling there fixture off so both us and our 2nds can play so now its Illogan 1st v Carharrack and West Cornwall v Illogan 2nds, like i said i really appreciate what you have done for us and ill get a couple of jugs in for you all :drink:

Harsh jamo this ain't the premiership x

Wouldn't say harsh, after talk of wasting players time, if holsworthy were virtually the whole first team short, the seconds step up and play the first team fixture, the third team then get the chance to step up and play the second teams fixture, hence no players being without a game?! That's not letting anyone down surely as know one loses game time!

Blimey, why all the fuss over a pre-season friendly......We had a ream of 1st team players unavailable for one reason or another and decided to let the 2nd and 3rd team games go ahead as normal with one or two 1st teamers helping them out....end of story.

Illogan managed to get in a replacement and hopefully had a good day, our 2nds game at St Dominick went ahead and so did our 3rd team game so apart from a few 1st team guys everyone managed to play.

As to why we agreed to play Illogan in the first place (bearing in mind the travelling).....When we put the request for friendlies on the SWPL website, Illogan along with St Teath were the first two clubs to reply and so we felt obliged to honour those fixtures (or should we have cancelled the game with Illogan earlier if a more local peninsula club had contacted us.....which plenty did!!).

We couldn't play any Western League, SWPL Premier or even P & D sides as their seasons all kicked off yesterday.

We had already played Barnstaple and St Blazey (at home) in pre-season to give us a stern test and the St Teath & Illogan friendlies were seen as two top sides from one league below SWPL Division One (West) away from home that would have also been difficult games but ones similar to what we would face in our division going forward.

We shall be facing plenty of long trips (further West than Illogan) during the course of the season so it would have been a great indicator to any new signings (who have not played in Div One West) of the amount of travelling they are likely to face every other week, plus we would have taken a mini bus which would have been an ideal opportunity of a bit of team bonding on the trip there and back (with a stop or two on the way back).

Having certain players unavailable for the trip probably told us as much about them as it would have done had they played!!

I was also able to have a look in on one or two potential signings instead

All in all no real damage was done, if you look at the SWPL forum there have been quite a few friendlies cancelled during this pre-season but none it seems have sparked as much conversation as this one, it was cancelled, but we move on!

All the best to Illogan for the coming season.