Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay v Ivybridge

I would imagine this was a very good competitive game for the neutral, although slightly frustrating for representatives of both clubs in terms of refereeing decisions that went against them.

Newquay started strongly and caught Ivybridge cold, going to 2-0 up after only 8 minutes. However, from then on I felt that Ivybridge had the balance of play and caused Newquay more problems than they caused the visitors.

The 3 main talking points were the two penalties (one to each side) and the sending off of the Newquay skipper for a very rash tackle on Phil Bromhead – for me, the only decision the referee got right in the whole game! (My personal opinion by the way).

On the whole though, a good game to watch and a great start to the season by Ivybridge!

Ivybridge line-up: Josh Oak; Ed Plackett, Josh Zimmerman, Phil Bromhead, Max Scragg; Steve Sutton (Andy Parker 85mins), Dan Warren (Chris Maskell 75mins), Mark Berry, Ben Smallridge; Joe Truelove, Andrew Neal. Subs not used: Ryan McClements, Bahroz Zad

Goals: Neal (pen), Smallridge (2), Truelove.

Not going to argue or agree with the above but would add the following... The No.6 who dragged down Squires for the Newquay Pen was last man and should according to FA Laws, have been sent off. It was the same No.6 who was fouled by Middleton later on, although it was never a Red card, many other fouls on both sides were let go and worse challenges only saw Yellows.

Newquay dominated the first 20mins and after that it was fairly even. No arguments with the Ivy Pen, but as the visitors took their two clear chances, they went in at HT ahead. 2nd half was again even, Newquay clearly missing the silky skills of Hampshire and the goals of an injured Weldhen, but full credit to the youngsters who came in, disappointed with the final scoreline. A draw would have been right but all 139 watching probably went home happy, some winners, other with the performances of various players. Nice to see Ivy brought a dozen or so fans with them, they certainly enjoyed themselves once they went ahead.

Three games in and 3 goals in each for The Peppermints, can't be too downhearted with one iffy result, plenty to cheer about. All great games for the neutral so far.

i agree that Ivybridge No.6 should have been sent off and their keeper should have been booked also for his gamesmanship before kick taken. He hadn't got back to his line before kick was taken and, had he saved, a re-take would have been required! Stupid thing to do and I can't see why he was unhappy.

The red card for Middleton was the right decision - poor tackle.