Cornwall Football Forum

Liskeard vs Bodmin

Good competitive game but some bad tackles by both teams that with a stricter referee would have resulted in sendings off. Having been involved in football for many years I do believe that the comments made to referees and their assistants by players and managers etc are getting worse each year. I fully accept that some decisions can be frustrating for managers and players but that does not justify the comments made by them. Tonight one of the players said to the linesman "you are f....g shit lino". Why does the linesman take this, surely he just needs to raise his flag and report it to the ref, who in this case must have heard it anyway. To me they almost seem to be scared of responding, no doubt I am wrong but if they continue to take no action it can only get worse.

Totally agreed, the language towards the ref and linesman is not acceptable, let's remember no ref no football match.

My 6 year old lad, said to me tonight, all they do dad is shout at the ref! Explains all.!

Well done to Liskeard though, good battling performance.

Good competitive game but some bad tackles by both teams that with a stricter referee would have resulted in sendings off. Having been involved in football for many years I do believe that the comments made to referees and their assistants by players and managers etc are getting worse each year. I fully accept that some decisions can be frustrating for managers and players but that does not justify the comments made by them. Tonight one of the players said to the linesman "you are f....g shit lino". Why does the linesman take this, surely he just needs to raise his flag and report it to the ref, who in this case must have heard it anyway. To me they almost seem to be scared of responding, no doubt I am wrong but if they continue to take no action it can only get worse.

Having watched the game tonight Dave, I have to fully agree with your comments.

Tackles were "flying" in from both teams and if the Referee had done his job properly, neither team would have finished with eleven players on the pitch. The incident involving a Liskeard player and Kevin Miller was one example. Miller should have been shown red for retaliation.

Do we describe modern day officials of being "gutless".

Having watched the game tonight Dave, I have to fully agree with your comments.

Tackles were "flying" in from both teams and if the Referee had done his job properly, neither team would have finished with eleven players on the pitch. The incident involving a Liskeard player and Kevin Miller was one example. Miller should have been shown red for retaliation.

Do we describe modern day officials of being "gutless".

Don't tar every referee with the same brush !

It is easy to slate refs when you are playing, however it takes a lot of bottle for a lad, younger than the majority of the outfield players to take control of a SWP game.

There are some players in the league who try to impose a lot of influence on match officials based on credible past achievements or sometimes and sadly, social reputation.

Completely agree if they are not capable they should not be in charge but if we have young referees coming through it may be worth helping them along. No referee goes out to make incorrect decisions and as with playing decision making becomes better with experience.

Correct me if I'm wrong but 6 bookings in a game such as this, that displayed the aforementioned "bad tackles" couldn't have been too wide of the mark? Even if a sending off was missed. Alternatively the ref books 10+ and everybody's moaning about that.

Sometimes give them a break.....

refs dont help themselfs . i agree they are way to pally with some players, giving them chance after chance .social media sites dont help as they also now to scared to get ripped apart on there . they do have a difficult job . watching over the last couple of seasons i say the standard dropped a little

Why has the standard dropped?

Not enough people taking up the whistle due to constant abuse and hassle / work commitments /having better things to do , established refs also giving up due to the reasons listed before . Fewer numbers of referees left means that the more mediocre ones are going further up the pyramid , this means that the referees that were of a park standard 20 years ago are now officiating at senior football levels and beyond .

I also agree with the bit about some referees being too matey with some of the players , this is bound to happen though as they see these teams many times over the seasons . I always notice that referees who take charge of FA Cup and FA Vase games are not local appointees and so have little knowledge of the players , sometimes it means they are more subjective and make decisions on the merit of the incident , and not the players prior reputation .

Dave that was a spot on response. Except there is no respect for match officials and so players think they are better then what they are so when they do make a mistake its the refs fault. Managers have had no coaching course experience and no qualification so will bring there ex player head onto the bench, if they did a minimum of a basic team coaches course then this

would be the direction to go. Higher leagues you have to have a minimum qualification in order to be a manager. The training of referees is second to none and I for one find the referees of high quality but when it comes down to nastiness on the pitch including the dugout then some handle it better then others. Untill youve done it I don't think your in a position to criticise and best sticking to your armchair.

Don't know if liskeard were at full strength but Bodmin were including supporters who were constantly giving ref and lineman grief made themselves look right idiots it was like being in the playground with a bunch of five year olds . disgraceful

The player who told the linesman he was "f.cking shit" was Kevin Miller. One of his traits, intimidation.

Ive been a linesman for some years now both in EC and SWPL and feel sometimes the cost of a course and the duration and days/times is just far too long to undertake due to work committments or other things and feel with the basic knowledge of the game I have from being in the game nearlly 20 years and undergoing so many rule changes and decisions tweaked and the role Itself, I would snap at the chance to referee in the Premier if people who help out the clubs and League in the non required-qualified west, east and EC in the first place could also be assessed and then if good enough to help out in the Premier either as a ref or assistant, can then pay back what the course would cost in their match fees? Just an idea to recruit more who may be interested!