Cornwall Football Forum

Weds - Div One West results

Mousehole line up was dexter king,Matt laity,Chris Russell,Wayne Quinn,Owain Barrett,Martin moon,Simon Stevens,nick pugliese,mark Vercesi,wade brown,james Vercesi subs Richard Vercesi,dan Magee,Micky Flores Scorer was wade brown, two clean sheets and six points,delighted with the start we have made considering we only had three wins the whole of last season

Mousehole line up was dexter king,Matt laity,Chris Russell,Wayne Quinn,Owain Barrett,Martin moon,Simon Stevens,nick pugliese,mark Vercesi,wade brown,james Vercesi subs Richard Vercesi,dan Magee,Micky Flores Scorer was wade brown, two clean sheets and six points,delighted with the start we have made considering we only had three wins the whole of last season

My word that is a very strong line up - must be costing a few quid lol

My word that is a very strong line up - must be costing a few quid lolsame budget as Helston lol

Helston Athletic 2-1 Penzance.

But for some poor finishing and bad luck in front of goal Helston should of had this wraped up by half time,Penzance came out with more urgency in the second half working hard in closing Helston down and stopping them playing the ball around,to be honest it got very scrappy tackles flying in every where both teams were at it,this sort of play suited Penzance and deservedly equalised having already missed a couple of chances,Helston scored on the hour to make it 2:1 and the game was end to end Rob Carey was introduced for his Helston debut in the last 15 min and should of had a hatrick.

I think a big well done to John Dent for all the hard work he has done at Penzance he has a good phisycal team that will not be beaten easily this year.

My word that is a very strong line up - must be costing a few quid lol same budget as Helston lol

I have it from the horses (donkey's lol) mouth - Helston do not pay. End of.

only joking Mr Dobbin. :thumbsup:

My word that is a very strong line up - must be costing a few quid lol same budget as Helston lol

I have it from the horses (donkey's lol) mouth - Helston do not pay. End of.

only joking Mr Dobbin. :thumbsup:

& that is why kevin & frazer not at helston anymore!?!

Helston nowhere near as good as last season , certainly missing Liam Eddy and lucky that Penzance changed their formation as Pz were that poor first half Helston should have been out of site. Then in second half when Pz decided to have a go they missed 3 sitters that should of at least earnt them a point.Wide open league this season in my opinion .

Well done to the noisy neighbours two excellent wins and a good start Wayne :)

To those interested...basically I went down Helston to give it a go but unfortunately, it did not work out (reasons I do not wish to disclose), Helston AFC are a great club and i have a lot of respect for Sid, there is no money at Helston I would like to also add. I think people struggle to realise that team morale, a good manager who encourages a side to play football and who also creates a positive club atmosphere might actually encourage good local players to join a club like Helston without being paid!

Reasons for playing for Illogan is I have recently had a baby and i sign for Illogan most seasons at combo standard as i have always loved it there, I was undecided where to sign at Peninsula this year as Hayle unfortunately do not have a peninsula side this year, shame as it is a great club and to have a team fold where you were happy is not a pleasant experience to go through as a player. So i got some minutes with Illogan as I have been out of action with baby commitments, i am now at Penzance, i work in PZ which makes life easier for training and home games and i believe Penzance to be a strong team this year. Alongside this, I have some close friends there and that always a nice bonus!

Long message I know people, but people openly disclose opinions and write stories about you so I have given you my story, I have always played football with 100 percent and I wish Helston the best this year along with Illogan in the combination league. Also, great to have the season underway this year, should be a cracking season...good luck to all.

To those interested...basically I went down Helston to give it a go but unfortunately, it did not work out (reasons I do not wish to disclose), Helston AFC are a great club and i have a lot of respect for Sid, there is no money at Helston I would like to also add. I think people struggle to realise that team morale, a good manager who encourages a side to play football and who also creates a positive club atmosphere might actually encourage good local players to join a club like Helston without being paid!

Reasons for playing for Illogan is I have recently had a baby and i sign for Illogan most seasons at combo standard as i have always loved it there, I was undecided where to sign at Peninsula this year as Hayle unfortunately do not have a peninsula side this year, shame as it is a great club and to have a team fold where you were happy is not a pleasant experience to go through as a player. So i got some minutes with Illogan as I have been out of action with baby commitments, i am now at Penzance, i work in PZ which makes life easier for training and home games and i believe Penzance to be a strong team this year. Alongside this, I have some close friends there and that always a nice bonus!

Long message I know people, but people openly disclose opinions and write stories about you so I have given you my story, I have always played football with 100 percent and I wish Helston the best this year along with Illogan in the combination league. Also, great to have the season underway this year, should be a cracking season...good luck to all.

Was it painful ???

Well put Kev and good luck for the season pal, can't believe I ordered a child's polo shirt for you. Sid gonna have to sign a lad from the under 12's now.

The argument which hopefully Kevin has now put to bed,with regards to Helston not having a playing budget. I have no doubt will come up again, as I explained before its an easy target for club officials or supporters of other teams to justify their own teams mediocrity that they HAVE to pay for. I can honestly say that nobody gets a cent at Helston like many teams in the West league that are now facing up to in this era of austerity. We may or may not win anything along the way but It will be a good laugh and that had the end of the day should be what it's all about!

For what it's worth I think the west division will be at its strongest since its inception this season, and as Godolphin are proving in the premier that the top teams in the west are no mugs. So I expect a few upsets and a few 'they must be paying' shouts it's a great (lazy) justification after all! Helston won't be the only team in the West to get the accusation wrongly fired at them, guess it gives people a reason to type on here I suppose! :-)

Heard hes at $t Day.

Shame Kevin decided to go to Pz for Helston, would be a great attacking option for them.

So just clear this up for us, do Helston pay or not? ;)

Good to hear Kev's reasonings, wonder how many other players would come on here and state their reasons for leaving a club. And great to hear from Milchy too-top bloke.

Just to clarify with regret i had to leave Helston FC because i have been appointed a coach of Cornwall Under 18s. This is a very hounarable role which i could not turn away. On the flip side it will take up quite a lot of my saturdays. That is the reason i have dropped down to play the combo league because i will be able to play when i am available.

In the last 3 years Sid Taylor has turned Helston into a dominant force in cornish football and it is no wonder that the likes of Truro City are looking at some of there players. All the boys are local so why would they be shelling out loads of cash.

Helston is a great club that are looking to go in the right direction. They do NOT pay there players but they do get rewarded with a few beers now and again. This in turn has acheived a great sense of togetherness within their side. They have a great manager in Sid and all the boys play there because of him and not for a wage packet. Other managers should look at the likes of Helston and instead of always trying to BITCH about money actually try and replicate what they are doing because obviuosly it is working.

I wish all at Helston FC a great season.

Was it painful ???

the old jokes are always the best

Another ill-informed, dumb dig there iamfootie. Of course Helston want to go up and if it wasn't for Godolphin last year they would have. Floodlights in the pipeline, club moving forward both on and off the pitch will show that Helston are a club on the up and looking to progress. In the current climate I feel they should be applauded for looking to take their club forward in the right fashion rather than having to answer to the perennial 'do they pay' question and the comments above from Frazer and Kevin only serve to corroborate that!

Well said Bagman. Helston seem to be the model to base a club on at the moment, and should be applauded for there achievements on the field. Even if a team is paying, which at most levels in Cornwall doesn't make financial sense! They should be allowed to do so and not have to justify it. The problem has occurred because too many clubs claim "we are only paying expenses, beer money, or that it isn't us it's just keen supporters of the club paying players". The sooner everything becomes transparent, all the petty accusations and silliness would stop.

CTB

Helston plan to have either a small 50 seater where the old dugouts were, or behind the goal where that training pitch is. The long term goal is to build on that training pitch, and have changing rooms etc like wendron have. I have also heard that for the short term seats might be fitted to the 'standing area' just outside of the club house which is under cover. Probably a good shout with the weather we usually get!

Probably best side on to the pitch Blues 10 as a stand behind the goal will have people looking into the worst of the weather which mosty comes from the west.

Bloody hell, a man with a brain. Of course the back of the stand should face west to southwest if possible, otherwise there's no point in building it.

Greenhouses should always be east to west, so the sun travels over the apex, all common sense really.

Just a thought from a previous post, if and when Taylor leaves, all the players go as well ??? They play for him, and not the club ????