Cornwall Football Forum

Foul and abusive language and intimidation.

Having watched the game between Liskeard Athletic and Bodmin Town on Tuesday night and spoken to several people who also attended the match, I feel the time has come for those in authority to take action.

Why are Bodmin Town allowed to constantly intimidate the officials?

Whilst the vast majority of the Bodmin Town team play with total dignity, the same cannot be said for certain individuals connected with the club. I don't have to mention names, as we all know who they are.

I would like to ask, who has the power to take action? Is it the Cornwall Football Association or Carlsberg South West Peninsula League?

I recently has a conversation with a respected referee and asked him why he ignores a lot of the foul and abusive language and intimidation. I said I would have no problem sending players and coaching staff from the field of play. His reply was that he did not want to receive bad mark for his efforts. If his marks were low then he could not climb the reffing ladder.

I agree Pastyman. I watched Bodmin v Godolphin last weekday and the same happened with plenty of verbal attacks on the referee and how he did not take further action or condone certain players from both sides I do not know. I believe if people from the League read the forum of what people who watch these games clearly spot and debate on should require an investigation to see if action could be taken or at least question the officials in charge on the day if what we saw and commented on was seen so more protection can be given

I must say in the games I have seen involving Bodmin the language is the worst I've ever heard. Players swearing at all 3 officials directly and that is both the f and c words but no action taken. It doesn't help that the people in the dugout acts in a similar way. All it takes is one ref to stand up to them and the rest will follow. Think they are treated differently at Bodmin. Saw them at newquay couple years ago and ref let bodmin players f and blind at him but as soon as one opposition player said are you serious when foul was given ref sent him off. I know it wasn't bodmins fault he did that but they do seem to get away with it.

Baldy - that's a poor attitude to take. I have a 6 year old who enjoys football, and I'd like to take him along to more football matches at various levels. I've never taken him along to a SWPL match on the advice of a family friend who has played in the leagues for a number of years. I'm a responsible parent FIRST, and a football fan second. I certainly don't want him thinking that the incessant use of f and c words is either acceptable or normal.

I agree totally that this is a problem which shouldn't be ignored. It's been said numerous times but if Rugby can deal with this, then Football should be able to follow their example.

As with most problems in football, the root cause can be witnessed at the highest levels. Profanity and abuse of officials are commonplace and largely ignored. Until something is done at the top, those lower down will follow their example.

However it would still be appropriate to attempt to address the issue at local levels. Club officials and Managers should take the lead here by setting a good example and maintaining self control. Referees are far more receptive to courteous requests and comments from managers and players if made politey - witness how well Lions captain Sam Warburton behaves on the field and "manages" the referee!

Each referee should visit dressing rooms before kick off and advise players that he will not tolerate outright dissent and foul language and will punish it accordingly. Assessors cannot punish good officials for applying the laws of the game in a sensible and proper manner and players would learn quickly, especially if financial penalties are enforced.

Fans can help also by making their feelings known , especially to the manager and committee of the team they support.

It may or may not make a difference but its certainly worth making an effort for the benefit of all!

Players should not be reminded that if they are guilty of using foul language they will get sent off; shows dissent or kick a ball away will get a cautioned. All involved should know all the laws of the game they are playing which comes with education and experience.

I believe team/players who are constantly being reported to the FA for dissent and/or foul language the club should also get fined aswell as the offending player(s). This will promote high levels of disapline and behavior. This principle, vicarious liability, is used in tort were the employer is liable for their employees conduct. If its good enough for the Eng and Wales legal system its good enough for football.

Me personally I do want players/managers/spectators to talk to me, but the way you talk to us is probably more important than what is said. Players etc are a valuable source of info for the referee to use to run the game as efficiently as possible. In the same way referees talk to players to prevent small insignificant conduct between players developing into a significant foul. The game flows better and will be more enjoyable if we learn to communicate properly. Yes frustration sometimes makes us say things we wish we did not say but there is no excuse for consistant dissent/foul lang.

We all just need to grow up and just get on with playing some damn footty!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The SWL did actually make swearing a yellow card offence a few years ago. As usual, with all these "initiatives", it was a 2 week wonder. Fully agree that rugby has the answer but try telling FIFA or UEFA that. Sin bins instead of yellow cards would be a great start. Make the players retreat from a free kick immediately plus all the other gamesmanship tactics. All these together would make watching a much more enjoyable and family friendly event. But it has to start at the top. Seeing professionals behave badly and get away with it will only encourage youngsters to follow, thinking that it is OK and acceptable behaviour. The RESPECT campaign is a load of crap. Put it in the laws and the players will have to abide.

I think the lines of foul & abusive language and dissent can be a bit blurred. If someone hits a shot well wide for example and says loudly, 'S#it or 4fuksake' to himself, should he expect to be booked? I've seen it done by just one ref but he appeared to ignore everything else that went on after that.

If Refs booked every player that swore, say in a game that had been selected by the powers that be, the game would be abandoned after 20mins due to there being not enough players to complete the game. Swear words are nothing more than an expression of frustration in most cases. However, if such words are aimed at a particular individual, then action must be taken.

On a lighter note, I want to see the broadcast of the FA Bigwigs detailing to the worlds press, exactly which words they deem as foul & abusive !

Using the 'less' offensive foul language out of frustration can be tolerated and maybe just a quiet word. I had a game when a player missed an open goal and out of frustration he shouted 'King hell'! I had a word with him saying 'I know it was out of frustration but if you are going to swear do it quietly'. He responded with him receiving a justifiable yellow for dissent. I was just trying to tone down the language and do him and the game a favour. I was being reasonable in the circumstances.

Foul language aimed at someone is an automatic red card, no exceptions. Foul language not aimed at a person should be dealt with by having a word or a yellow at least depending on the particular circumstances of the case.

Big Al I do find it hard to believe that the problem is the referee not being respectful. A referee reacts to a reaction. If a player shows dis-respect to me then I do reply in a similar way. He then complaints that I can not speak to him like that. He is in-fact correct but nor can he so that makes us equal although not right.

A referee who shows disrespect first is not doing him any favours and will just make his already difficult job harder, which is why I don't believe referees are the problem regarding not showing respect to players/managers.

Whilst the problem is chiefly with players and those on the bench, referes and assistants can certainly play their part by communicating better, by owning up when they make a mistake and by being good- humoured .

I'm reminded of the story when a pro told the ref he was not having his best game , only to be told " you're having a 'mare yourself mate!" Both laughed and got on with it!

I agree totally that this is a problem which shouldn't be ignored. It's been said numerous times but if Rugby can deal with this, then Football should be able to follow their example.

As with most problems in football, the root cause can be witnessed at the highest levels. Profanity and abuse of officials are commonplace and largely ignored. Until something is done at the top, those lower down will follow their example.

However it would still be appropriate to attempt to address the issue at local levels. Club officials and Managers should take the lead here by setting a good example and maintaining self control. Referees are far more receptive to courteous requests and comments from managers and players if made politey - witness how well Lions captain Sam Warburton behaves on the field and "manages" the referee!

Each referee should visit dressing rooms before kick off and advise players that he will not tolerate outright dissent and foul language and will punish it accordingly. Assessors cannot punish good officials for applying the laws of the game in a sensible and proper manner and players would learn quickly, especially if financial penalties are enforced.

Fans can help also by making their feelings known , especially to the manager and committee of the team they support.

It may or may not make a difference but its certainly worth making an effort for the benefit of all!

Totally agree with the Referee visiting the dressing rooms and advising that foul and abusive language/outright dissent will not be tolerated.

But lets be clear here, I watched the Saltash United v Elburton game on Tuesday and did not witness any foul or abusive language. Some clubs know how to behave, however some seem to think they are above the law.