Cornwall Football Forum

Torpoint Athletic 4-1 Tavistock

WELL, it was a bright and breezy day for most clubs, but for Torpoint Athletic is was a 3 points deserved on the day.

After a draw against most top 3 favourites Godolphin and an uninspiring defeat to St Blazey, Torpoint came into the game vs Tavistock all guns blazing and took an early lead when Danny Brook did well to hold up play inside the Tavi area.

It was only when he went to unleash a shot that Dave Hallet was adjudged to have clipped Brook, the striker, or midfielder as some rate, scored the resulting penalty and opening goal after 3 minutes.

Torpoint continued to dictate play thereafter, Jack Alexander heading wide from Ben Davis cross.

Torpoint made it 2-0 on 14 minutes when youngster Ellis Cowd looked to have been clipped on his way to goal which was waved away by referee Steve Kane and from the resulting deflection between defender and Cowd, Lewis Young found himself free on goal to slot past Tavistock 'keeper Matt Ansell.

Billy Allen received a caution on 42 for back-chat but it remained 2-0 to the half-time whistle.

With supporters still returning to their seats they found the score 3-0 on 48 minutes when Callum Martindale capitalised on Brook and Young's interference to side foot home from 15 yards.

Both sides reverted to long ball for 10 minutes with no breakthrough. Tavistock made a sub five mins into the second half, Josh Francis replacing Jamie Ahern in an attacking threat.

Another change for Tavi after 55 mins saw Paul Quinn replace his shorts after a rip.

Tavistock had a 2 minute spell when Ryan Honey had their best chance after controlling a ball from Paul Quinn but his shot went wide of Sam Borthwick's goal.

Honey was booked on 57 for a late tackle on Allen but Torpoint weren't bothered as they extended their lead with 30 minutes to play when Dave Smith was unmarked to head home from Lewis Young's corner.

Tavistock had chances to get back into the game and were awarded a penalty with 15 minutes left when Lyle Johnson was pulled down by Dave Smith, Honey comfortably converting.

Lewis Young was booked for also back chatting but Torpoint held on to secure their first home win of the season.

Referee: Stuart Kane: Plymouth

Assistant: Seb Hart: Plymouth

Assistant: Colin Penharwood: Saltash

MOM: Billy Allen (Torpoint Athletic)

Torpoint: Sam Borthwick, Ellis Cowd, Lee Bevan ©, Ben Davies, Dave Smith, James Robertson, Jack Alexander, Billy Allen, Danny Brook, Lewis Young, Colin Martindale

Not used: Bradley Yeo, James Alexander

Tavistock: Matt Ansell, Harry Eaton, Josh Robins, Paul Quinn, Jamie Ahern (Josh Francis 51), Dan Follett, Joe Carey, Ian Rook, Ryan Honey, Dave Hallett ©, Lyle Johnson

Not used: Joe Smith

Next at The Mill, Launceston, Tuesday 27th August, 7:30pm

Thanks Point my reports aim to please especially when others see the same view I do lol.

I spoke to Tavi Manager Ian Southcott at the end and he said his side needs a good kick up the backside and Torpoint were good.

But I heard from inside the clubhouse, not confirmed by Ian but clearly stated, Ian is handing the reign to somebody else next season.

I spoke to Jimbo before the game and said he hadn't been picked but was still on bench but remained not kitted out to play if needed. Wasn't happy at all!

Apparently from a source in Torpoint, Bodmin Town have put 7 days in for him and Adam Carter signing by Tuesdays game!