Cornwall Football Forum

Liskeard Manager?

This job is a massive task for anybody looking to take it on . Being Liskeard born and raised , and a regular at Lux Park for many years , I do find it very sad what is happening at this great club . Probably a sign of the times though that relatively new clubs ( Parkway,Buckland Athletic and Godolphin) are thriving , while some of the stalwarts of local football ( Liskeard ,Falmouth and Penzance) are struggling . St Austell and Exmouth have shown that clubs can revive their fortunes if the local support is in place , hopefully Liskeard can do the same .

Its a shame what is happening at Liskeard as they are a club with a great history and I always enjoy my trips to Lux Park and hope they get a new manager in soon that can bring back some stability to the club. But clubs like Parkway, Buckland and Godolphin are thriving because they are the clubs that have the money and pay players well. Likewise St Austell and Exmouth, both clubs in years gone by have struggled in their respective leagues as they didn't have that much money or any at all but now they both have money behind them they are doing very well. Penzance, Falmouth and Liskeard, not much money if any at all and all struggling. Teams that have money will ALWAYS be the teams competing at the top of leagues.

Its a shame what is happening at Liskeard as they are a club with a great history and I always enjoy my trips to Lux Park and hope they get a new manager in soon that can bring back some stability to the club. But clubs like Parkway, Buckland and Godolphin are thriving because they are the clubs that have the money and pay players well. Likewise St Austell and Exmouth, both clubs in years gone by have struggled in their respective leagues as they didn't have that much money or any at all but now they both have money behind them they are doing very well. Penzance, Falmouth and Liskeard, not much money if any at all and all struggling. Teams that have money will ALWAYS be the teams competing at the top of leagues.

I don't think money is a problem at Liskeard but they are short of people willing to help in the day to day running of the club according to MQ

As I see it, two choices at this level. Throw a big budget at the job, and accept that you may end up with a team of mercenaries with no local connection and hence a small fan base. Or, go local, at whatever level that may be, with little or no budget, and get people through the turnstiles to watch a side they empathise with.

I'd put money on Liskeard second team (predominantly locally based) having a far bigger average gate than the SWPL side.

Sooner or later, a big club is going to the wall over their footballing budget.

A fair comment there MATTP and don't think you are too far away with that statement. A lot depends on what the club itself wants. If Liskeard want success then it'll cost money. If they want just a local team then they are probably going to have to accept that where they are now is where they are going to be. I don't know what sort of budget Blatchford had there but looking at a few names in recent squads, it couldn't have been a lot to work and that's probably the reason they are where they are.

Can someone answer me honestly, do you think most teams in this league should be paying,because the standard of football isn't that good, surely you are better building a club from local players and the junior section if they have one, rather than wasting money on players that couldn't give a jot on the result as long as they get paid !!

We used to have a South Western League, Cornwall Comb and East Cornwall League. That boils down to Peninsula Prem, the top half of Division 1 West being Cornwall Comb/EastCornwall Prem and the bottom half being Duchy. If you look at it like that there wouldn't be to much differance although the whole standard has dropped but that includes the Western League as well

It depends how you define "competitive" If you mean trying to win every game and every cup match every season then I agree, survival is difficult, but if competitive meant putting 2 squads of local based players out every week and not getting thrashed and relegated, I reckon we could fulfill that role!

It would bring some enjoyment back and some more punters through the turnstiles as well.

MQx

It depends how you define "competitive" If you mean trying to win every game and every cup match every season then I agree, survival is difficult, but if competitive meant putting 2 squads of local based players out every week and not getting thrashed and relegated, I reckon we could fulfill that role!

It would bring some enjoyment back and some more punters through the turnstiles as well.

MQx

If you want that come and watch Dobwalls !

I think its sad that a club just wants to ''exist'' Surely the best journey to be on is one of which you try to win Trophy's.

As a player that's what you remember when you have finished,

Not the day that you came 11th in front of 50 local supporters

The sad bit is that we are struggling to exist and unless we do something about it we will cease to exist.

Are you saying that it is better to end up in debt like most clubs in order to pay 7 or 8 hundred pounds per game so that you might win 2 or 3 grand back at the end of the season??

As a player I remember far more than wining trophies and as a manager and coach I have many fantastic memories un-connected to winning trophies.

At the moment, coming 11th in front of 50 supporters sounds like a promising start!!

And as I have said before Billy the ledge, I dont want the job but will help out until someone as wonderful as yourself puts your name in the ring and steps up or shuts up!!!

MQx

I think its sad that a club just wants to ''exist'' Surely the best journey to be on is one of which you try to win Trophy's.

The sad bit is that we are struggling to exist and unless we do something about it we will cease to exist.

Are you saying that it is better to end up in debt like most clubs in order to pay 7 or 8 hundred pounds per game so that you might win 2 or 3 grand back at the end of the season??

As a player I remember far more than wining trophies and as a manager and coach I have many fantastic memories un-connected to winning trophies.

At the moment, coming 11th in front of 50 supporters sounds like a promising start!!

And as I have said before Billy the ledge, I dont want the job but will help out until someone as wonderful as yourself puts your name in the ring and steps up or shuts up!!!

MQx

Hey Mate if anyone can do it you can so give it a try and at the end of the season if you don't go down it would mean success and think of the money you would have saved

Sounds harsh but i believe Liskeard, Tavistock, Saltash, Bodmin, Callington have local lads playing for there 2nd teams? And what league r they in? East Cornwall, local players won't work. Standard would drop.

Its not harsh but Im more than happy with our local boys playing in East Cornwall leagues but if we are not good enough or cant afford to play in a higher leaue than that, why should we struggle each season. Find your level and start again!!

MQx

MQx

No I'm not saying bankrupt yourselves,

You seem to have a lot to say, yet you rule yourself out of the running. Why don't you step up to the plate?

There are plenty of managers that post on here, the difference is that I use my real name. Regarding "biting" I dont think that replying to comments on a forum is classed as that, it is a forum and I have been posting on here for many years. The committee are regularly on the forum and to date they have not passed any comments regarding my posts but thank you for your concern.

If I lack class in your eyes then add up the amount of nights sleep I will loose over this and multiply it by the active brain cells you have and the figure should come out at approximately zero.!!

Happy fishing boys !!

MQx

I do not agree with you MQ. You Managers should not be vocal on this site ( not under your name at least ) .

You should respect your club more and keep quiet.

So if the managers, referees, players etc didn't come on what a boring place it would be. If you new MQ he is the biggest wind up person you could meet so lighten up and join in with his laugh cus if not he will be laughing at you.

MQx is clearly very passionate about his club. He cares about what happens at Liskeard Athletic and that is proven by the amount of work he does behind the scenes. Why shouldn't he post? It's not like he's saying anything controversial is it?

Surely the whole point of this forum is that people can offer opinion. Supporters, spectators, managers, players... everyone!? It's a free world Pugwash!

I do not agree with you MQ. You Managers should not be vocal on this site ( not under your name at least ) .

What about Sports Reporters - should they be on here !!!!!!

What about Sports Reporters - should they be on here !!!!!!

Yes , that's ok. What do you think of ex -committee members being on here.