Cornwall Football Forum

fa.vase replay scores

Ended 5-0 to Barnstaple. The home side had two pacey forwards, just as well as the route one saw them scampering after the ball and getting in behind the Newquay defence too often. Thunderbolt first goal from the edge of a crowded area, Trudge didn't have time to blink let alone move before it flashed past him.

Newquay went in search of the equaliser, looked to have the ball over the line after hitting the bar, it was then handled but the officials failed to give either a goal or penalty. The ball was sent straight down the other end and inevitably Barum scored. Only 12 mins had past at this point.

The home side were much the better team for the next 25mins, but didn't trouble the Newquay keeper. A third goal came after Trudgian saved low down, the ball heading out on the six yard line was met by an offside player who cut it back and bundled home. A strange handball decision which no one saw or claimed for was given against Newquay, justice was done when Trudge saved.

2nd half saw the Ref have to make a big decision, the Barum No.10 sliced down a Peppermint, the 'local' Ref (un-named in the Programme) chatted to the player, knew his name and sent him on his way with no more than a slapped wrist. Had they gone down to 10 men, Newquay may have got back into the game. However, the Ref then set about booking anyone who wore a Newquay shirt (5 in total + Carey was sent to the Stands), not a single tackle worthy of a talking too, let alone a yellow card. As Newquay set up camp in the home half, the Barnstaple goal led a charmed life. The Peppermints were hit by a sucker punch, a huge clearance from the penalty area headed over the halfway line, a forward latched onto the ball and slid it past the onrushing 'keeper.

A fifth goal summed up the night, a wild shot took a massive deflection and over Trudge who was stranded. The Peppermints keeper was visably disappointed after the match, several of the players and management came over and thanked the travelling Newquay fans for their support.

Onto Penzance on Friday night in the Throgmorton Cup, the victors face St Austell away in the 2nd Rd.

Newquay should have won it at home on Saturday, would have done if that Ref had not been wearing an exclusive Sir Alex timepiece. Last night, it was clear that Barnstaple were quicker to the ball and had one short lad (Ex-Argyle player, double barrelled name) who tormented us down the left in the first half.

Once the home player was given a reprieve and the Newquay bookings started at 3-0 down, Newquay players would have been wary of any slight contact for fear of being sent off, was that part of a Conspiracy ? I doubt it, but these things do make you wonder what game the Ref was watching. Still, Newquay probably edged the second half on possession, but it is goals that count and we didn't score any.

I can understand Trudges frustrations, he had very few shots to save but ended up picking the ball out of the net 5 times, one fluke, one offside, one thunderbolt, one defensive error and a quick breakaway which wouldn't have happened if Newquay had been given the goal or Pen.

Barnstaple deserved the win on the night as they caused Newquay more problems, had quicker players who passed accurately on a lovely surface. Cracking ground, nice clubhouse, decent crowd. On reflection, the scoreline flatters the home side but if it had been 3-1 perhaps that would have been right on the night. Good luck to them in the next round at Almondsbury.

Canvey Island won 2-0 at Leiston last night, couldn't make the match myself, was too busy reffing the Barnstaple match as the fella in the middle couldn't.

As I rarely report on here anymore due to the numpty brigade knocking anything to do with Newquay, it is hardly usual. Unbiased, yep absolutely. I'm sure I mentioned the pacey forwards, the ex-Argyle player who tormentend us, our inability to score and so on. However, the performances of the two teams and the scoreline are not what will be remembered by those who travelled from Cornwall, the 'suspect' decision making by the Ref will puzzle us forever and a day.

There will be few who will knock The Peppermints players, there were up against a good side who are unbeaten in Western One, they were unfortunate with some of the goals and 'robbed' of a certain goal or penalty when just 1-0 down. That in itself might have made a difference, do those who officiate think of the consequences of their actions or inaction in some cases ?, I seriously doubt it.

Specsavers ? Some Refs need the Hubble Telescope !

After your initial report it would be good if you didn't report at all. Im all for following Cornish teams through the FA Competitions and the fact that the FA make all these sanctions regarding grounds etc etc but Clubs will always overcome because they know what it means to the supporters.I was coming back from Taunton Town the weekend gone and all I was interested in was how the Cornish clubs got on the the VASE, Last season Bodmin did really well through the FA Vase that it brought supporters from all over Cornwall to Priory Park to see for themselves and support, to me that is what football is all about. So why not just report on your team in a manner that dignifies your club and stop criticising match officials etc.

And to say about the Numpty Brigade keep knocking Newquay, Arent you part of the Numpty Brigade that keep knocking Truro?? What Goes around comes around Me old mucker...

Monty, I didn't realise that the Refs Union were now telling supporters what they can and cannot write about. As they are a vital part of the game and have the power to influence results one way or another, I'd said that they are fair game when they get things so blatantly wrong. We can't play matches without them and I accept all the arguments about them being dedicated etc etc. However, I am not alone in feeling that Newquay were the subject of some unduly harsh Yellow cards when an awful foul by the No.10 went unpunished, be consistent and no one can complain. The result is the right one, the better team over two games won through, but it is the way the Refs influenced both games that galls so many.

£25k for a seasons football, perhaps half a season at Truro City, but that sort of money would pay for several seasons at Mount Wise, I'd love to know where the supposed £25k is hiding, we could certainly do with it to pay off the fines for all the yellow cards. We may finish mid-table, we may finish below Godolphin, the aim is to get enough points per game to qualify for next seasons FA Cup, something that with a little luck, may see some prize money.

As far as Truro goes, everything I said about Heaney and the loss of the ground came true, if that makes me one of the Numpties who knocked Truro, then yes I'll stand up and say that perhaps some folk who were in denial for so long, should take a hard look at themselves as they allowed a once proud club to be sold off and left homeless.

No Refs union, just me sticking up for my fellow comrades just like people support there team and stick up for team mates. I dont normally do all this because as a referee its deemed unprofessional and I agree, but im very passionate about the game and not the best referee but I will always do what I think is right and am honest as the day is long and will never slag anyone or any team off. Have a good season.

Refs do a great job! My one and only annoyance....and a ref sat with me watching a game agreed...lack of consistency. We saw a silly foul that got a yellow card...and 30secs later... a similar foul occurred for the opposing team...what did the ref do? Talk to the player...no card. One might argue the first yellow was for consistent fouls...nope it was the player's first offence. Refs just be consistent and everything else will fall into place. Apart from that..... they are all doing a great job! I wouldn't do it! :)