Cornwall Football Forum

Helston's Goldsworthy signs for City!

Truro city really are clutching at straws. Good luck to the lad, but if I were a truro follower I would be concerned about the players they have accumilated to the standard of football they are playing at. The table doesnt read to well for them at the moment

He will have to get used to sitting on the bench every week. Steves Masseys brother Stu at Penryn will be the only happy person tonight after seeing Helston Further weakened. Truro are in big trouble in my eyes

Whilst its quite nice to see Truro going local for players, they and Massey need to wake up real quick and realise that the league they play in is incredibly strong and players like Mark Goldsworthy, Phil Lowry and all the other Peninsula players they have pulled in are not good enough to play at that level. They are good players at Peninsula level but the step up is far too much, other clubs in that league are pulling in former pro's, players just being released by professional clubs, players from the same league, not players from 4 or 5 leagues below. The result the other night against 2nd to bottom was a joke and its looking like another relegation battle this year unless the bring in real quality.

Whilst its quite nice to see Truro going local for players, they and Massey need to wake up real quick and realise that the league they play in is incredibly strong and players like Mark Goldsworthy, Phil Lowry and all the other Peninsula players they have pulled in are not good enough to play at that level. They are good players at Peninsula level but the step up is far too much, other clubs in that league are pulling in former pro's, players just being released by professional clubs, players from the same league, not players from 4 or 5 leagues below. The result the other night against 2nd to bottom was a joke and its looking like another relegation battle this year unless the bring in real quality.

It may be another relegation battle this year, but surely you would want local players who will fight and battle rather than ex-pro's and players released from higher clubs who feel they are playing below their level!! Players who are moving up show ambition, and they will fight and battle to prove they are good enough. I would much rather watch these guys than a load of players who don't care, Good luck to them and Truro!!

When are you going to wake up & realise that the days of Truro City paying big money for ex pros & challenging for league titles dissapeared with Kevin Heaney ! Everyone enjoyed the ride, however, the time has come to take 2 steps back in order to take 1 forward. Yes it probably will be another relagation battle & next year may be the same, but these young cornish players are gaining experience, working under a top manager & some of the best coaches in the county, & will improve given time & opportunity. Maybe, Teflon, if you are a real Truro supporter, you should be backing your clubs plans to get back to basics, & reallity !!!!!

Good luck to Mark & Liam. I really hope you both stick with it & are given the chance you deserve !!!

Every club want to be challenging. But you need to be realistic, Truro haven't got the pulling power. It's the same with the likes of Torquay, Exeter and Plymouth t a much higher level. Devon and Cornwall teams will never be at the top end of things because we are so far away from any major cities etc.

Truro are only ever going to attract ex argyle players at best, if they are lucky.

Things are now being done the correct way at Truro, and it may take a few years, but I'm sure they will come back stronger.

I would really like to see Truro invest in their youth system. I'm not sure how close any youth teams are with the senior teams, but for me Truro should be looking to produce competitive youth teams from at least under 11s up to under 16s and 18s. Get some top quality youth coaches in there and look to invest in that side of things.

An unused substitute today

Factual mike but let's judge in a few months time. Only just joined, prob need few weeks training to get his fitness levels up, good player who has consistently scored bags of goals in SWPL D1W, let's get behind this lad and this new Truro team.

Not a judgement i was disappointed after the build up that he never made an appearance.

After my statement I was expecting for someone to pick this up that 2-3 down and 10 minutes to go both he and Broomfield could have come on.

A defender was introduced in that time

With the way that local clubs as well as pro clubs are heading these days, its refreshing to see Truro going down the self sustaining route and signing players like mark and Liam who in my eyes are now at the right level. Look what happened when Truro were paying wages their budget couldn't afford.....it may take a couple of years battling down the bottom end of the table but eventually if this group of players/managers/coaches ride it out, they will eventually rise back up as a united unit. Good luck to Truro and especially mark who I played against a couple years back and was amazed that Truro hadn't already come calling. Get behind them, that's what you do if you're a true fan :)

Regarding Truro, its nice to see the local youngsters given a chance.

But can someone explain the roles of the,

Manager

Assistant Manager

Coach

Fitness coach

Goalkeeping coach

and exactly what all of these individuals add to the success of the team. As I presume all of these come at a cost?

Years ago you had a Manager and assistant (usually the captain), and if you were lucky someone on the sponge.

Manager:- deals with day to day running of club like finances,contacting other clubs regarding fixtures/friendlies, dealing with transfer targets, player contracts, the squad for the matchday and tactics as well as how to motivate players for pre match, half time post match etc.

Assistant manager:- as title suggests, assists the manager in his decision making, also gives second opinion or if the manager is busy with other duties will take matchdays.

Coach:- liaises with manager and assistant manager with regards to their tactics and implements those instructions to the players but normally with a higher/greater knowledge than the manager (9 times out of 10 the coach will be more knowledgeable of tactics/player positions than the manager and how to make player understand those tactics but quite often a good coach doesn't make a good manager due to man management skills or how to react during a game to change it with subs etc).

Fitness coach:- this is someone who is especially vital for players during pre-season as the names a bit of a give away but during the season is where a fitness coach could be the difference, if your key player gets injured, having a good fitness coach will get them back to match fitness in the safest quickest way.

Goalkeeping coach:- vitally important, teaches keepers to deal with different scenarios they face in a match, angles of crosses, positioning, shot stopping, decision making the list is endless.

This is my personal view on what each roles duties will roughly cover :)

Manager:- deals with day to day running of club like finances,contacting other clubs regarding fixtures/friendlies, dealing with transfer targets, player contracts, the squad for the matchday and tactics as well as how to motivate players for pre match, half time post match etc.

Assistant manager:- as title suggests, assists the manager in his decision making, also gives second opinion or if the manager is busy with other duties will take matchdays.

Coach:- liaises with manager and assistant manager with regards to their tactics and implements those instructions to the players but normally with a higher/greater knowledge than the manager (9 times out of 10 the coach will be more knowledgeable of tactics/player positions than the manager and how to make player understand those tactics but quite often a good coach doesn't make a good manager due to man management skills or how to react during a game to change it with subs etc).

Fitness coach:- this is someone who is especially vital for players during pre-season as the names a bit of a give away but during the season is where a fitness coach could be the difference, if your key player gets injured, having a good fitness coach will get them back to match fitness in the safest quickest way.

Goalkeeping coach:- vitally important, teaches keepers to deal with different scenarios they face in a match, angles of crosses, positioning, shot stopping, decision making the list is endless.

This is my personal view on what each roles duties will roughly cover :)

We're talking about Truro, not A C Milan!

Manager- picks team and takes training.

Assistant- shouts 'faster, further, higher, harder' to the players during training and says to keeper 'try catching the white thing'.

That's about it.

Disagree, at pro clubs its a whole different ball game!

I think its great that Truro have this set up (tbh I don't even know if they do, I was just responding to your question as you didn't know the roles). Most semi pro teams will have a similar set up.

You asked a question I answered with my opinion

Manager-picks the right team if team wins,picks the wrong team when they don,t

Assistant- helps above and also carries the kit bag and balls.

Coach-usually driven by either of the above

Fitness coach - mechanic usually a mate of top two

Goalkeeping coach -usually either of above who kicks balls at goalkeeper before start of game whilst the other gets the players knackered by running up and down the pitch and doing exercises

You.ve obviously for gotten Andy

total cost £0 :c:

Manager-picks the right team if team wins,picks the wrong team when they don,t

Assistant- helps above and also carries the kit bag and balls.

Coach-usually driven by either of the above

Fitness coach - mechanic usually a mate of top two

Goalkeeping coach -usually either of above who kicks balls at goalkeeper before start of game whilst the other gets the players knackered by running up and down the pitch and doing exercises

You.ve obviously for gotten Andy

total cost £0 :c:

Yep, that's pretty much spot on Perry.

Disagree, at pro clubs its a whole different ball game!

I think its great that Truro have this set up (tbh I don't even know if they do, I was just responding to your question as you didn't know the roles). Most semi pro teams will have a similar set up.

You asked a question I answered with my opinion

Fair enough Smithy................. I think its excessive.

Manager

Assistant Manager

Coach

Fitness coach

Goalkeeping coach

and exactly what all of these individuals add to the success of the team. As I presume all of these come at a cost?

Years ago you had a Manager and assistant (usually the captain), and if you were lucky someone on the sponge.

Got to agree with you Mauler - all them on the touchline would have blown your mind - it took years for you to learn that you only kicked those that were not wearing the same colour as you - and that included on the touchline. No wonder Kev looks so old - playing behind you would have taken its toll on most :yahoo:

Manager

Assistant Manager

Coach

Fitness coach

Goalkeeping coach

Got to agree with you Mauler - all them on the touchline would have blown your mind - it took years for you to learn that you only kicked those that were not wearing the same colour as you - and that included on the touchline. No wonder Kev looks so old - playing behind you would have taken its toll on most :yahoo:

I remember fondly when we graced the midfield together at St Just, le boss, with your advice to me whilst running onto the pitch being "get your retaliation in first"...............and you certainly did! :)

Manager wise- listen to Hudgy (manager) unless Orchards (assistant) face was bright red, then listen to Orch.

listen to Kev (manager) unless Squinny (assistant) was swearing excessively, then listen to Squin.

listen to Alan Rundle (manager) as he was always bright red and swearing!

listen to Trevor (manager) until he got his chalk board and counters out, then do what you think is right.

But above all listen to the supporters in 'Moaners Corner', because they were the REAL authority on the beautiful game........................one in particular!

Guest johnperryman777

Back to the original posting- Goldsworthy to Truro, nice for the lad to try and play a much higher standard but not good enough for that level of football as Brokenshire, Eddy etc etc have found out .

Get back to Helston and enjoy your football Mark :) don't become a Bench warmer like the rest of Cornwalls talent (Brokenshire)

I must admit to not being a fan of Goldsworthy, mainly because of his misplaced arrogance. It's fair to say though that the boy will need time to adjust to the level of football he will be playing at. The worst thing he can do is return to his old club as he will regret not giving it a real go in years to come. Good on him for at least trying!

Back to the original posting- Goldsworthy to Truro, nice for the lad to try and play a much higher standard but not good enough for that level of football as Brokenshire, Eddy etc etc have found out .

Get back to Helston and enjoy your football Mark :) don't become a Bench warmer like the rest of Cornwalls talent (Brokenshire)

Crap - you have a go boy, at least you tried, you never know - you may just do well. Best of luck from me.

How are Ollie and Liam not good enough for that level? They are both class players with plenty to show for it. And they will when they get the chance. Both players have stood head and shoulders above a lot of players locally in the past few seasons and deserve to be praised rather than criticised

Spot on there Charles, two smashing players who deserve to step up, they just need time to settle into a higher class of football!