Cornwall Football Forum

Kane Trevaskis

When Newquay, Camelford, Gs, St Austell where in the West Div the standard was good but lets be honest, its now like the old east cornwall premier, teams like helston, sticker and Vospers who really are Parkway Res have proved that in the last 2 seasons.

Its poor standard im afraid

Have we all forgotten Helston taking Bodmin (who I believe won the peninsula prem last year?) to extra time, with 10 men I should add, in a senior cup final replay last season?

I believe they beat 6 other premier teams aswell in cup games. Also, Godolphin have the same squad as last year and are beating teams this year. The top 8 in the west are more than capable of beating premier teams

Mickey Mouse football. Makes me laugh, no doubt from the "not like back in my day" armchair experts. The old SWL was so much better zzzzzz.

Maybe it was, I wasn't around then, all I know comments above are disrespectful to those currently playing SWPL east and west standard and tbh premier isn't that much of a step up (having played both), recently promoted teams doing well evidences that.

Yes it's a forum and people have opinions before someone pops that one up, mines above.

Everyone has different opinions in football, but i think we all know a good standard of football and a poor standard. Unfortunately the west division is a very poor standard, going back 3 years ago when St Austel, Camelford, Newquay, Gs, Penzance (when they had money) Penryn (when they had money) Perranporth (when they had money) Porthleven (when they had money) the standard was good!

Look at Mousehole for example, full of ex Hayle players, 3 to 4 years ago they would be mid table and now have won 10 out of 10!! Proves the league is poor!

I'm not being disrespectful just telling you how it is.

That's what makes the league's weaker can't keep it up. Players don't want to travel so they stay east/west rather than premier.we now have too many leagues it is time to get rid of either east/west penninsula or comb/eclp as this would also help playet/ref shortages

I agree, how could this be achieved?

Could have a Cornish premier league and division 1, a Devon premier league and division 1, and then have a cup competition including teams from both side of the tamar.

This would cut down on travel.

Respecting your opinion Best, but you are practically saying that money has to be spent to provide a good level in SWPL West? And perhaps these players have all stepped up to the Prem league (and above in the case of Cody Cooke from Penryn in West to Truro in Southern Conference last season. Regards Mousehole, Vercesi, Quinn and Pugliese to name a few, are these not recognised Prem league players who could play Prem league currently if they chose?

Sticker also have a very, very good squad of players with a mix of youngsters making a name for themselves such as Street, Bowyer, Rogers, and Spaul who will all go on to play Prem standard very soon indeed. Alongside these are Ralph, Dingle and Butler who have all played Prem standard. So I'm struggling to see your point that the West league standard has dipped. PERHAPS the West standard has had a reality check and no longer lives off large finances like you said they once did.

Both the Prem leagues and the West/East leagues will always have their poorer sides scrapping at the bottom, thats the same the world around and was the same in the old JSWL and The East Cornwall League, but to suggest the standard is entirely poor, im not so sure. I just think the West/East provides a feeding platform to the Prem and as stated above even higher in isolated cases such as Cooke.

Very interesting discussion has developed here - even though I don't know who Kayne Trevaskis is!

I think that there is a distinct difference between Premier League standard players and those who have played at Premier League level. In my playing days, I played occasionally at a higher level but could never regard myself as being of that quality.

There are numerous players who have played Barclays Premier League and indeed Champions League who fall way below the standard of those competitions.

There have always been players who choose for a variety of reasons to play at a level below the one at which they could perform adequately or better. Some will do so towards the end of their career to help out a club (perhaps the one at which they started) or to help coach youngsters. Others will do so for the money. More will do so for the glory - we used to call them "pot-hunters"!

I would like to think that all players would want to stretch themselves by seeking to progress through the various levels but clearly this isn't possible for all due, perhaps, to work or family commitments. However I do appreciate that others will "just want to play with their mates"

Just thought I'd throw my opinion into the mix for what it's worth having played in the old SW League days back in the 80's and early 90's and managed in the ECPL and more recently in the SWPL (albeit only 8 games league games so far).

The one thing to remember is that in the old SW League days it was just one division made up of (supposedly) the best teams across Devon & Cornwall, not including Saltash United and Liskeard Athletic who were both blazing a trail in the Western League back then.

In those days the likes of Bodmin Town and Truro City were perennial strugglers and it was Falmouth Town, Newquay and St Blazey that were always at the top with the exception of a Bugle side (including the Streat bros and Chris Slateford) that won it one year I seem to remember.

The only club back then with pots of cash were St Blazey (backed by the manager Chris Wakeham and his building firm).

I remember them coming to Tavistock (where I was playing at the time), with a squad of about 24!!

The likes of Buckland Athletic and Plymouth Parkway were fledgling clubs in the South Devon & Plymouth and District Leagues respectively.

Then came the Trevor Mewton years at St Blazey followed by the the rise of Bodmin Town (thanks largely to Alan Carey).

The standard was pretty high and was also maintained when Saltash United and Liskeard Athletic both dropped out of the Western league and rejoined the SWPL.

Then came the Heaney years at Truro City which probably saw the most dramatic rise of any Cornish club in history

The original introduction of the Devon League followed by the restructure of the SW League into the SWPL in it's current guise with a Premier Division and Division One (East & West) was arguably the time when the standard started to drop.

Back in the day it was only the best players at the more successful clubs that were picking up a decent wedge for their services and players stayed at their respetive clubs a lot longer than they do today; Then slowly, but surely, all and sundry were picking up crazy amounts that their ability didn't warrant as most of the smaller clubs struggled to compete with the big boys.

One or two clubs have since fallen by the wayside as the money ran out and the quality of players diminished and these clubs have been replaced by clubs with a more local feel to them that have had success in the ECPL, Cornwall Combination and the respective regional Devon Leagues.....Namely, Buckland Athletic and Plymouth Parkway and to a lesser extent Liverton, Bovey Tracey, Godolphin and more latterly Sticker and St Dennis.

In Sticker's case the bulk of their side had been together for many years in the ECPL before joining the SWPL and being that familar (and succesful), they have just carried that on in the SWPL.

It's no surprise then that with the money injected into both Buckland and Parkway that these two clubs were going to be the ones to compete with (and in Buckland's case, surpass) Bodmin Town.

Virtually every other club has either struggled financially at some stage in recent years or just plodded along nicely with little to no budget and just kept their heads above water both on and off the pitch.

This has led to a lot of players turning their back on the SWPL to play local football due to the travelling and dwindling player wages. Mount Gould Athletic in Plymouth and Upton Athletic in South Devon are two clubs in particular whose players could quite easily walk straight into most (if not all) SWPL Premier Division teams but choose not to and subsequently the standard in the SWPL has slowly gone downhill with the exception of the likes of the afore mentioned Plymouth Parkway and Bodmin Town.....Even when you look at the likes of Exmouth Town who are currently right up there in the SWPL.....They were once a force to be reckoned with in the Western League (until the finances went pear shaped).

So yes, in my opinion the overall standard in the SWPL has gone down in the past 5 or 10 years, but similarly with the likes of Godolphin, Dobwalls, St Dennis, Sticker and now Bude all moving up to the SWPL and the Parkway lads all moving to Vospers, so has the standard of the ECPL.

Even the likes of Torpoint (once so dominant in the ECPL) have suffered with players moving up to the 1st team or retiring and when you look and see that there are several clubs in the ECPL Premier Division in with a chance of competing for the title if they can put a little run together, indicates that the overall standard in the ECPL has dropped and evened out rather then improved.

I havent seen him play recently but when he used to play for Perranporth I always felt he was a right handful for the opposition defence and in time should have tested himself at a higher level. Good luck to him if he is going to give it a go.

Gotta say that Kayne and Paul Robinson at Perranporth have been the best two strikers I've seen in Div One west so far this season.

Obviously haven't seen Mark Goldworthy at Helston yet!!

Just thought I'd throw my opinion into the mix for what it's worth having played in the old SW League days back in the 80's and early 90's and managed in the ECPL and more recently in the SWPL (albeit only 8 games league games so far).

The one thing to remember is that in the old SW League days it was just one division made up of (supposedly) the best teams across Devon & Cornwall, not including Saltash United and Liskeard Athletic who were both blazing a trail in the Western League back then.

In those days the likes of Bodmin Town and Truro City were perennial strugglers and it was Falmouth Town, Newquay and St Blazey that were always at the top with the exception of a Bugle side (including the Streat bros and Chris Slateford) that won it one year I seem to remember.

The only club back then with pots of cash were St Blazey (backed by the manager Chris Wakeham and his building firm).

I remember them coming to Tavistock (where I was playing at the time), with a squad of about 24!!

The likes of Buckland Athletic and Plymouth Parkway were fledgling clubs in the South Devon & Plymouth and District Leagues respectively.

Then came the Trevor Mewton years at St Blazey followed by the the rise of Bodmin Town (thanks largely to Alan Carey).

The standard was pretty high and was also maintained when Saltash United and Liskeard Athletic both dropped out of the Western league and rejoined the SWPL.

Then came the Heaney years at Truro City which probably saw the most dramatic rise of any Cornish club in history

The original introduction of the Devon League followed by the restructure of the SW League into the SWPL in it's current guise with a Premier Division and Division One (East & West) was arguably the time when the standard started to drop.

Back in the day it was only the best players at the more successful clubs that were picking up a decent wedge for their services and players stayed at their respetive clubs a lot longer than they do today; Then slowly, but surely, all and sundry were picking up crazy amounts that their ability didn't warrant as most of the smaller clubs struggled to compete with the big boys.

One or two clubs have since fallen by the wayside as the money ran out and the quality of players diminished and these clubs have been replaced by clubs with a more local feel to them that have had success in the ECPL, Cornwall Combination and the respective regional Devon Leagues.....Namely, Buckland Athletic and Plymouth Parkway and to a lesser extent Liverton, Bovey Tracey, Godolphin and more latterly Sticker and St Dennis.

In Sticker's case the bulk of their side had been together for many years in the ECPL before joining the SWPL and being that familar (and succesful), they have just carried that on in the SWPL.

It's no surprise then that with the money injected into both Buckland and Parkway that these two clubs were going to be the ones to compete with (and in Buckland's case, surpass) Bodmin Town.

Virtually every other club has either struggled financially at some stage in recent years or just plodded along nicely with little to no budget and just kept their heads above water both on and off the pitch.

This has led to a lot of players turning their back on the SWPL to play local football due to the travelling and dwindling player wages. Mount Gould Athletic in Plymouth and Upton Athletic in South Devon are two clubs in particular whose players could quite easily walk straight into most (if not all) SWPL Premier Division teams but choose not to and subsequently the standard in the SWPL has slowly gone downhill with the exception of the likes of the afore mentioned Plymouth Parkway and Bodmin Town.....Even when you look at the likes of Exmouth Town who are currently right up there in the SWPL.....They were once a force to be reckoned with in the Western League (until the finances went pear shaped).

So yes, in my opinion the overall standard in the SWPL has gone down in the past 5 or 10 years, but similarly with the likes of Godolphin, Dobwalls, St Dennis, Sticker and now Bude all moving up to the SWPL and the Parkway lads all moving to Vospers, so has the standard of the ECPL.

Even the likes of Torpoint (once so dominant in the ECPL) have suffered with players moving up to the 1st team or retiring and when you look and see that there are several clubs in the ECPL Premier Division in with a chance of competing for the title if they can put a little run together, indicates that the overall standard in the ECPL has dropped and evened out rather then improved.

That took a lot of writing, and who were the managers at Tavistock when you were there

That took a lot of writing, and who were the managers at Tavistock when you were there

First manager I had at Tavy was Derek Pethick (with Tony Richardson as his assistant), then it was Mike Symons and Keith Southcott.....Phil Towl did it for a while then it was You and Terry Kitt.....Those were the days!!!

Always like to read comments on here especially coach KT (for some strange reason) and always agree mostly but i will have to say about the mount gould comment of them being able to walk into MOST swpl sides?

apart from Mr Hobbs, i wouldnt say the majority would to be fair ( my opinion)

There are a few decent players playing in PND and they are better than what mount gould have to offer im afraid.

As coach KT says everything is different to what it once was and players just dont want to travel.

Love the game Not the money.lol

May I refer you all to this thread i started elsewhere on this forum,

Suggest it may be posed as a relavent question again

"Would it be more advantageous if the leagues Cornwall (and Devon), instead of feeding into the Western league Premier division, could feed into Southern Premier Division one, South and west or higher?"

http://www.cornwallfootballforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26169

Great post coach KT..... I am interested to know though......: are you suggesting that Sticker, Bude, Vospers (old parkway ECPL league champs last season ) St Dennis (ECPL champs a few seasons ago) have made the West league weaker? In my opinion and being a Wadebridge fan, I think the league is a strong competitive league..... I enjoy watching as much as I can. I used to watch more a few seasons ago when Stu Dudley lead us to the very first West league title! The league then wasn't As strong as it is now that's for sure!