Cornwall Football Forum

cannot see where the next Newquay goal is coming from

I went up and watched my local side Newquay play and i just cannot see where a goal is going to come from the young lads gave there all but they wouldnt score if they played all week Witheridge where the better side but it was just a poor game really and it was bloody cold .looking forward to the Godolphin match hope i wil be able to see it because i have just been diagonsed with kidney cancer which is a bugger and i got to go all the way to Bristol hospital for the op but i hope they can pospone it until after christmas after Newquay have played The G twice

Hope all goes well for you 100%cornish & newquay repayyou with some goals. Not really sure what's on down there because I thought they had 4 strikers in Glenn squires, Luke Whelden, Matthew Drummond & Robert wearne? Maybe if you get nemesis to have word with the defence to stop conceding so many then the strikers won't have to score as many! Do you think you will reach the top 10? Alan carey must be alarmed with recent form

I actually thought things were even for the first 40mins, the right result in the end but I think I have worked out where things have gone a bit pear shaped recently. With Sean Middleton retiring and Paul Hampshire being unavailable in recent weeks, the middle of the park is lacking the vital experience and leadership.

Rob Wearne is unfortunately on his way back to Falmouth Town, but that will still leave as you say 4 strikers in Weldhen, Drummond, Squires & Jennings. Nothing wrong with that, some games you need 3 up front and one on the bench. We probably need three experienced leaders to take us forward, 2 at the back and a midfield general. I hope that the manager can bring in the right players on the limited budget he has available.

Someone did say this afternoon, Install some wind turbines on the Clubhouse roof and turn them on, Newquay racked up 8 goals in the force 8 gale when Elmore visited.

I actually thought things were even for the first 40mins, the right result in the end but I think I have worked out where things have gone a bit pear shaped recently. With Sean Middleton retiring and Paul Hampshire being unavailable in recent weeks, the middle of the park is lacking the vital experience and leadership.

Rob Wearne is unfortunately on his way back to Falmouth Town, but that will still leave as you say 4 strikers in Weldhen, Drummond, Squires & Jennings. Nothing wrong with that, some games you need 3 up front and one on the bench. We probably need three experienced leaders to take us forward, 2 at the back and a midfield general. I hope that the manager can bring in the right players on the limited budget he has available.

Someone did say this afternoon, Install some wind turbines on the Clubhouse roof and turn them on, Newquay racked up 8 goals in the force 8 gale when Elmore visited.

"i hope the manager can bring in players on the limited budget available"

Nemisis, this statement just about sums up why nothing you ever say on this forum has any credibility whatsoever. I have it on good authority that 3 players alone who were recently traveling long distances to play for Newquay and who have just left you were on in excess of £250 between them. If £80 plus per player is what you call a "limited budget" then the division 1 west title you won with Reski etc must have cost Roman Abramovich money. Stop kidding yourself Nemesis because we all know that with the exception of Bodmin and PLym Parkway there aren't more than 2 or 3 clubs spending anywhere near Newquays budget. Enjoy watching Dan Jennings (signed through the back door via foxhole) the lad could not turn down the offer of £70 per game + goal scoring bonus according to reliable reports from his friends at Wadebridge. Or do you think the lad is just fulfilling his life long dream of playing for Newquay for a tenner, DREAM ON.

Boom boom!!! Ouch! If a player Is getting paid anywhere near that for playing for a mid-table outfit then the chairman or commitee need their heads testing. Justified if your in the top two battling for top spot agreed, but to be paying that amount of money for this standard of football & not winning anything is laughable!! Im sure there are many clubs guilty of paying good money & not achieving their potential/league placing their budget should create. Some clubs must spend well over 500 quid a game to keep their squads happy, bodmin have been guilty of it in the past I know however I can justify it if you win championships

I think that is the problem, there is no justification spending the amounts of money mentioned regardless of if you win titles. If you spend as quoted "over 500" per week you will have spent roughly £2200 in a season (based on 40 weeks). If you win the premier you pick up £3000 (excuse me if figure out). Add in a good run in the vase and you may pick up another 4-5k (again maybe more) if you do really well but there is still a deficit of around 14k. This is based on a really successful team. Players may also be paid per game not per week, if so the figure will go up from 22k. This is why teams are struggling. You take that business plan to a bank and they would laugh at you.

I don't blame players for taking the money on offer either. People say there is no loyalty and that is probably true but that spans football as a whole not just local football. Young players regularly get their heads turned by clubs willing to offer more money. They probably know that it is not the correct move for their development but move because financial stability is massively important and not all pro careers last that long.

On a side not sad to hear that Sean Middleton has retired, was this due to injury?

First of all i would like to say thankyou to Eric for wishing me all the best with my op in Bristol bit of a bugger going all that way but they cannot do my op InTreliske .Newquay will come good again im sure of that maybe it will take time and hopefully money will not be wasted onplayers like the 3 Plymouth best players that was on £80 a match and that came from a committee member ,If Godolphin can get local players surely Newquay can .Its really nice watching th G play they are really entertaining to watch pit Derek Martin wasnt in charge of Newquay instead od Carey his style of play is just so boring .I can see Ollie Gibson leaving Newquay before long because he was not happy after being subbed yesterday .Nemesis i was hoping to get a Newquay fc car sticker yesterday i asked at the canteen but they didnt know what i was talking about maybe you could help out im Steve Pearce and am always up there when the G arent playing at home and im sticking to my princibles of not watching Plymouth Argyle play as long as they have Luke McCormick in goal .I hope Nequay can recover and just stay up this year and maybe in the summer Messi and Ronaldo could become available and maybe Suarez may like to come and play by the seaside as well lol .

Dave The rave, you think you know what three ex-players received, well done you, have that medal you obviously think you deserve. As you are the font of all knowledge, please advise as to what the current lads are getting, your self-implied credibility depends on it ! Just to put you right, the clubs budget is probably about right for where we are in the Division, there is probably one side above us who pay less, I don't care if you agree or not, your guess work or figures based on knowing what one or two players gets, does not make you an expert on all things Newquay. However, your continued interest in our club would lead me to believe that you are either jealous, or a Player/Manager bombed out in the past and you hold some sort of grudge. As for Jennings, signed from Foxhole, what's the problem ?, none according to CCFA or SWPL.

Middsy retired through constant injury concerns that have troubled him for 2 years or more. He is a self employed tradesman and needs to be fit to work, everyone totally understands his situation.

100%Cornish, apologies for the lack of Car Sticker, some crossed wires at my end, I'll get the one off the Wifes car for you as long as you don't have one from any other club ! Best of luck with the Ops, I can sympathise with the disability side of things.