Cornwall Football Forum

Laffs a good appointment?

Anybody willing to take on a managers role regardless of the size of the club, the size of the budget or the size of the players ego`s must be applauded at this moment in time. Unfortunately finance is completely devastating local football and players are not always to blame. If someone wants to invest in a club then they should be looking at grass roots, infrastructure and moving a club forward rather than throwing more cash into players pockets just to keep the merry go round going!

MQx

Some of you guys should try it sometime. It's easy to knock us fools that do it, but you have to realise that you need to be a wages clerk, a phsycic, a dad, a child minder, a teacher, an agony aunt, etc etc. I wish Laffs all the very best, and for that matter, anybody who has the guts to take on a job where it's impossible to please everybody, both on or off the field. We're all great armchair managers, and it's easy to criticise anyone. It's probably easier with a big budget, it's certainly not easy without one, but whatever, you put yourself in a position where rightly or wrongly somebody will have a pop. It's probably harder now, as players seem to be more fickle, and with the amount of 'egos' on view week in week out on TV, is it any wonder this type of behaviour filters down through? There's no real loyalty towards clubs from players, they seem to follow the biggest brown envelope. I'm not saying it hasn't been a thing of the past, but I think it's got out of hand now. If the envelopes are withdrawn at clubs, you'll see an exodus, it's just the way it is.

Phil could have walked into the manager's job at Newquay in May but he decided to take a break from footy. Am a little surprised he took the job now but the timing is rarely perfect. I don't think the fact that he has never been a No1 before will be a problem. Wishing you the best of luck.

All the best Laffs. I for one will be along to watch your first (easy!) game against Parkway. It is very interesting what some people write on these forums and it shows that a lot of them have no understanding how things work with local football. You don't need any advice or input from others as you know your own mind mate. Lot of sense in Robbie Stephens post also.

Regards

Blazey Boy

Want to wish Phil all the best in his new appointment and i know the skills and professionalism he will bring to this role, St Austell have advanced prob more then any other club in the recent seasons and i know Phil will work hard to take them to the next level of consistency they require , I have heard what happened to Nanks and im gutted for the guy but he was put in a position he could not as a manager continue with , The chairman i hope needs to think his part in managing the manager and never should he not back him in front of the players , The manager makes choices and he has to have the backing of his chairman at all times, When the manager has made a bad call in his eyes he still backs him publicly then after in private one to one simple says could we have done this differently, Nanks will be a better manager in the future through this and i hope the chairman learns and understands this , I wish St Austell and Phil the best now and Nanks all the best in the future , St Austell will still have a big say in who wins the league of that iv no doubt its turning into an interesting season and i might even watch a game somewhere now , Metts

Good luck Laffs!! Anyone who knows you will know you will do a great job mate!! A "proper" football man who knows the game and talks a lot of sense with a great knowledge of local football and players. Great posts from Stevo and Metts, can only echo that. A tough job which I wouldn't want to do but you are made for management mate! The team spirit will be great and a nice little easy one to start with v Parkway on Saturday bud!! :-)

Who made the mistakes, please enlighten for the people who didnt see the game, was it individual errors that cost st.austell the goals? Good luck phillip, it will get easier im sure!

According to the report by MLW on the results post, 2 bad defensive errors, so I guess the defence, unless you can enlighten us!!

in a big game like that I thought maybe a ref error might of been at fault! Usually easy targets to blame! you guyst had agood point at exmouth 'villians' goal machine steve sutton with the equaliser!

A very big point, great team effort, keeps them in the mix. Exmouth with be more disappointed with dropping 2 pts after being so close to the final whistle.