Cornwall Football Forum

Bickland Park for sale!

This could secure the future of Falmouth Town for many years .Hopefully the money will be used to fund a club with a thriving youth and ladies sections , together with a firm commercial infrastructure that will guarantee a self sustainable club for many years ,and not blown on short term success featuring inflated expenses paid out to mercenary players coming from far and wide .

At present figures do not add up. Sell for 2.4m but have to buy a LARGE chunk of land to house a sports centre and then one has to build it! 2.4m is not a lot to do all of this. Also remember the number of full time staff to employ. The major expense of any business is staff.

The only way to realise the sports complex is to throw in with the school, certainly not enough money there to even do a quarter of what's been stated in the press. Falmouth Town on a school pitch !!! that'll look good, if, and a big if, the football authorities allow it. They probably will.

Then you have to run it with your other partners, no longer masters of your own destiny, short term gain ( on the cusp of closing maybe) long term pain, will play second fiddle to the other complex users on a few occasion no doubt.

Unless its all a smokescreen, and they have a site in mind. If read correctly, they have two years to get their house in order. A few bob up front from the developer should keep the creditors at bay.

Best of luck from me, going to be interesting.

This could secure the future of Falmouth Town for many years .Hopefully the money will be used to fund a club with a thriving youth and ladies sections , together with a firm commercial infrastructure that will guarantee a self sustainable club for many years ,and not blown on short term success featuring inflated expenses paid out to mercenary players coming from far and wide .

Oh the irony! It was not too long ago that a lot of mercenary players left Parkway when the money dried up. :-)

Oh the irony! It was not too long ago that a lot of mercenary players left Parkway when the money dried up. :-)

You are quite right , I'm not disagreeing with you .

At present figures do not add up. Sell for 2.4m but have to buy a LARGE chunk of land to house a sports centre and then one has to build it! 2.4m is not a lot to do all of this. Also remember the number of full time staff to employ. The major expense of any business is staff.

[/quote

Reading the newspaper report "planning laws state that the successful developer will have to fund the relocation of a new football pitch"

What would be the yield on selling 70+ houses? a lot more than £2.4m

The committee seem to have gone very quite on this. Do they not owe the loyal supporters (there are still a few) some sort of

statement ?

As regards the press statement, there is no mention of building all the infrastructure. This will cost what the ground will be

sold for at least if they are going to go for a full sports complex !

The committee seem to have gone very quite on this. Do they not owe the loyal supporters (there are still a few) some sort of

statement ?

Did you have attend the public meeting the club held where the problems the club is facing was discussed? Or, for that matter, the meeting recently when the club asked for volunteers to help out; as a 'loyal supporter' you would surely have attended that one?

The only way to realise the sports complex is to throw in with the school, certainly not enough money there to even do a quarter of what's been stated in the press. Falmouth Town on a school pitch !!! that'll look good, if, and a big if, the football authorities allow it. They probably will.

Then you have to run it with your other partners, no longer masters of your own destiny, short term gain ( on the cusp of closing maybe) long term pain, will play second fiddle to the other complex users on a few occasion no doubt.

Unless its all a smokescreen, and they have a site in mind. If read correctly, they have two years to get their house in order. A few bob up front from the developer should keep the creditors at bay.

Better than Truro City they do not have a football ground to sell, O'Dear maybe Mr perryman will buy a a piece of ground on Bodmin moor to provide a Football ground for Truro City.Hammers :c::yahoo::c:

once the ground is sold, I can see no future for town as a football club. Surely someone has got to work out some financial figures !

Come on Big AL Your a Falmouth town supporter, Have faith in your club & at the end of the day We do have a ground to sell which is more than The Mighty Truro City have.Hammers :c::thumbsup::c:

Better than Truro City they do not have a football ground to sell, O'Dear maybe Mr perryman will buy a a piece of ground on Bodmin moor to provide a Football ground for Truro City.Hammers :c::yahoo::c:

Why quote my post and then post that ? Certainly have an asset to sell, but, no better off than Truro at this time, both on the slide.

Watched that drivel at Truro last night, jeez, that was bad - from both teams.

Due to the small numbers watching matches and the shortage of volunteers I predict that, sometime in the future, Falmouth F.C. and Penryn F.C. will become one club. It will also happen elsewhere e.g. Newquay and Godolphin. In my mind it's not a question of if but when!

I have also beliveved this for a while , you could factor in the decreasing pool of players as well .

Due to the small numbers watching matches and the shortage of volunteers I predict that, sometime in the future, Falmouth F.C. and Penryn F.C. will become one club. It will also happen elsewhere e.g. Newquay and Godolphin. In my mind it's not a question of if but when!

I have also beliveved this for a while , you could factor in the decreasing pool of players as well .

It is reported that Falmouth have a debt of £100,000 the sale of Bickland Park would clear this, with plenty to spare, If they have a joint stadium with Falmouth School,

Hammers :c::thumbsup::c:

It is reported that Falmouth have a debt of £100,000 the sale of Bickland Park would clear this, with plenty to spare, If they have a joint stadium with Falmouth School,

Hammers :c::thumbsup::c:

Didn't the packet report a debt of £240,000 of the combined clubs??? - social and football.

The club being so secretive, we will never know !

Big Al I am led to believe you are a Falmouth supporter, I really do find it hard to believe as you do nothing but criticise or post negative comments. With supporters like you I would rather you turned your allegiance to another club, doubt they would want you for long if you continued on the same vain with them.

If you want some straight answers and then maybe help the club move forward come and speak to me in person at our next game, if you really are a supporter

Results seem hard to accomplish !

I am not really interested in how much the club owes, but as supporter since the 60s, seeing the club where it is now is rather

heartbreaking. If the club wants continued support from all people, then surely an update on its affairs would not go amiss.

Remember without supporters there is no financial input. I can only comment from what I see on the field and for over 18 months

that has not been good.

the commitee at Falmouth Town would not take this decision lightly and uproot the club and history without good reason ,it is a shame and as all clubs that own their own grounds the upkeep and insurances before even a ball is kicked take up a big chunk of revenue which even in the close season still has to be paid ,it is very easy to have a go at this people who make these decisions but who else wants to get involved ? if there are the debts what choice do the club have ? do we want this historic club to perish and have to go bankrupt ? better to plan for the future as the dwindling standard of living for most people has dropped over the last few years and money is spent on household bills and not say going and having a few pints with your mates at football , income is going down right across football at our local level and sponsership is becoming harder to get as firms feel the pinch , it must be really upsetting for fans who have followed this great club and the history it has over the years , but needs must and sometimes you have to hit these problems and plan for the future so there is still Falmouth Town Football club so the same supporters who follow them now can leave it to their offspring to hopefully carry on following the town . as most clubs previous committees may or may not have made mistakes with finances but it is not about the past mistakes as we all in life make them it must be to the future and the survival of one of Cornwalls great clubs , these are my own thoughts and not connected to my home town club ,

So secretive? Why should they broadcast how much they owe?

It's called being transparent...... This debt will have been built up over a number of seasons, at the AGM, finances (income and expenditure) along with other things are spoken about. One of those is the clubs financial standing ie What it's worth!! If the financial statement read out at the AGM was correct, WHY was it allowed to continue to get so bad! Did the club supporters attending the AGM not raise concerns as to the size of the problem?

Every club should publish the mInutes to the AGM in the club house for all to see, UNLESS, they have something to hide!!

Why would Newquay & Godolphin merge ?. Newquay went through good and bad times for over 110 years when there was no other Senior club in town, nothing has changed, The Peppermints are still, and will always be, 'The Towns Club'. Newquay have a secure tenancy on Mount Wise for another 60 years, perhaps we can talk about it then, although medical science is going to have to come up with some miracles.

I'm not sure how any SWPL club can run up debts in the tens of thousands, let alone £100k or £240k, someone, somewhere has either been paid far too much, or the clubs accountants need to start asking serious questions of those in charge.

It will be a shame to see Bickland go, one of the last 'proper' grounds built anywhere. Be glad, be very glad, that Heaney was not or is not involved. Having said that, I'd double check who the developers are before accepting £2.4m.

Good luck to Town, you might just need it.

Is it coinsidence that the two clubs in question above (falmouth & newquay) have both been managed in previous years by the big spenders mr mewton & mr carey! Along with porthleven...all of which have experienced financial difficulties since their respective reigns! In 10 years I can see a senior club foldin. You cant blame managers, its the commitee members that need looking at letting go of money so freely?

I certainly have NEVER seen the minutes of the AGM displayed in the clubhouse.

I wonder why. It should be displayed for all those that couldn't be at the actual AGM.

At an AGM, there should be a copy of last years AGM & this years agenda. Any questions that you have, if you attend, should be asked under Any Other Business (AOB) before the meeting is closed. Everything should normally be minuted, this is to avoid any misunderstanding after the meeting is closed. No reason why you can't ask for a copy!!

I think you'll find the buyers of bickland have to find an alternative ground .I would hope that the people behind the sale will have the best intentions for the club and have earmarked a new location ! The sports centre that you mentioned would have to be a "community facility" ie local community groups and schools would have full use ,that way a whole lot of grants are available ,in fact when you mention the words "community facility" money is virtually thrown at such projects !

Move with the times. This forum is full of dinasours. A potential new ground is a good thing regardless of if its a ground share or within a school. It will only help the club progress and attract players that want to play for a new Modern set up whilst clearing Falmouth of any debt they have. Stop living in the past

A school pitch will be nothing like Bickland. It will not provide good viewing positions (the sides will not have any terracing

or cover) and there will probably be lengths of rope around the pitch edge and will be devoid of any atmosphere. It would be much better to not go within a school and rebuild on its own land. Remember the developer wants to build 75 houses probably selling for £200000 each and is only paying 2.4m for the land. I would certainly think that discussion is needed with them regarding financial issues. Remember that Falmouth Town have the upper hand on thgis sale.