Cornwall Football Forum

Bickland Park for sale!

A school pitch will be nothing like Bickland. It will not provide good viewing positions (the sides will not have any terracingor cover) and there will probably be lengths of rope around the pitch edge and will be devoid of any atmosphere. It would be much better to not go within a school and rebuild on its own land. Remember the developer wants to build 75 houses probably selling for £200000 each and is only paying 2.4m for the land. I would certainly think that discussion is needed with them regarding financial issues. Remember that Falmouth Town have the upper hand on thgis sale.

Unfortunately, FT don't have upper hand, as if the offer on the table, that is there moment is withdrawn, they end up with nothing. Well not quite true, they'll still have whatever debt that's there now. Hope they can sort the mess they have got themselves in and come out the other side smiling. Good luck.

A school pitch will be nothing like Bickland. It will not provide good viewing positions (the sides will not have any terracing

or cover) and there will probably be lengths of rope around the pitch edge and will be devoid of any atmosphere. It would be much better to not go within a school and rebuild on its own land. Remember the developer wants to build 75 houses probably selling for £200000 each and is only paying 2.4m for the land. I would certainly think that discussion is needed with them regarding financial issues. Remember that Falmouth Town have the upper hand on thgis sale.

Falmouth Town do not have the "upper hand" as you call it. They are in debt to the sum of hundreds of thousands of pounds. How long can they survive that?

Incidentally, a portion of the 75 will be "affordable housing".

The debt is more than the £100,000 being bandied about and, I understand, have been accumulated over a number of years, no doubt because of weak leadership at the club. Unfortunately, there's no real option other than to sell the ground for development so let's hope that, once the debts have been paid, the remaining funds are used wisely to develop the club (& new ground) and that there is forward thinking off-field leadership at the club. It will be very sad to see the demise of Bickland Park but it does present Town with an opportunity. Fingers crossed.

John I read your remarks in the Falmouth Packed, & I agree with every thing that you said, shame on those so called Town supporters Who are now having a go at Falmouth, who at the end of the day only have the future of the Club at heart, John you are doing a great job at Falmouth, & as a very long time supporter I will back Town whatever is decided for their future.

HAMMERS :c::thumbsup::c:

Hammers... are you suggesting that there is a person or persons within Falmouth Town, plotting to profit and tear the club apart ? Are you also suggesting that as Truro 'got away with it', that any or all creditors of Falmouth Town are basically told to sod off ?

For the sake of all other clubs in Cornwall, can anyone advise on how a six figure debt (£100-240+k) has been run up in a few short years, so that others avoid doing the same.

I doubt for one minute that Truro's debt is anywhere near resolved, more to come there yet.

Falmouth's debt as has been said, is historical. It has been built up over many years, chasing the dream of being top dog - and done on borrowing money - bonkers!

As hammers has said, at least they can clear the debt and survive - in some form. Will they chase the dream again when the money drops in the bank after clearing the debt and purchasing/developing the new stadium .... time alone will tell.

If Falmouth move in with the school, can't see the authorities allowing a licenced clubhouse on a school facility.

Why not Callington have one

Didn't know that - very surprised. In that case, they can't be refused - git on. :thumbsup:

Have since been told that the pitch and surrounds are nothing to do with the school. They merely used the school facilities.

Maybe buy a plot of land within the new stadia to accommodate a clubhouse.

I personally will just be gutted to see Bickland go if and when it does! I always as a kid just wanted to play there and was lucky enough in the early 90's in my playing days to play for Falmouth, it's as far as I am concerned the best ground in Cornwall! Even now in my 40's as assistant manager at Illogan the teenagers and early 20's lads in our squad say they love Bickland , traditions maybe don't die! Lets forget current club bias etc, lets look at the bigger picture for cornish football , i am all for progress but I truly will be saddened the day Bickland goes as should Cornish football in general

Couldnt agree more Jamo! Had so many happy memories at Bickland over the years and a few sad ones including big Johns ashes scattered behind the clubhouse end goal where he always stood. Will always be the most charismatic and atmospheric ground the county has had by a long way. Such a shame if it has to go. :-(

This is not the first time Town have sold their ground. Anybody remember Ashfield? Think of the good times that came from that decision.

I agree, Just think of all the club manpower and hours that the members put in to create a Senior ground at Ashfield and then having to depart after only 3 seasons.(1953/54-1955/56).

It must have been very demoralising at the time but was soon forgotten as the good times rolled at Bickland Park.

Falmouth Grounds-

1949/50-1950/51-1952/53 at Union Corner with the occasional game at The Recreation Ground (Falmouth RFC)

1953/54-1954/55-1955/56 at Ashfield

1956/57 Union Corner while Bickland Park was being developed

1957/58 to date Bickland Park.

One other ground used was at Boslowick (Falmouth Docks)in 1963 when a Cornwall County game was played at Bickland.

Truro City must be feeling the same having modified Treyew Road up to Conference standards knowing they could be on the move at short notice.

Nostalgic grounds at Highbury and Maine Road have had to move with the times and the 21st Century football requirements but memories will last for ever.

Did I read in the press that the developers would fund the new Falmouth ground? Would that mean supplying and building the complex.

Also the rumours of a sell of £2.6m is £200,000 up on the first quote which covers the debt.

This is the point I am not sure about. If they just buy a field and the club has to build the infrastructure, then there is going to be no money remaining to run the complex.

As regards Hammers comment,I shall remain a supporter whilst commenting with my views as I see it.