Cornwall Football Forum

Liskeard Athletic

It is so sad to see Liskeard Athletic "propping up" the Carlsberg SWPL and suffering regular hefty defeats.

Having witnessed Liskeard on a few occasions this season, sadly they look doomed to relegation. How they turn it around, is a difficult one. There is obviously lack of finance within the club and that shows on the field.

With the history of Liskeard Athletic and the past rivalry with Saltash United, I do hope something can been done to help them escape relegation this season.

They had a healthy budget. However they decided to go down the local route and pay 10 pounds per player while accepting the fact they will get relegated. Unfortunately they have a manager who only has ecpl experience so I suspect only knows players of that standard.

I think it's a big mistake to allow your club to be relegated assuming you will bounce back quickly.

They had a healthy budget. However they decided to go down the local route and pay 10 pounds per player while accepting the fact they will get relegated. Unfortunately they have a manager who only has ecpl experience so I suspect only knows players of that standard.

I think it's a big mistake to allow your club to be relegated assuming you will bounce back quickly.

This is particularly insulting to a manager of considerable experience and integrity.

The difficult decisions made by the Committee were always going to lead to teething troubles on the pitch. I wish them all the luck and hope that their philosophy will be taken up by the many other cash strapped clubs in the County. Rock on Martin.

Good afternoon Billy, sorry I must have missed you at the last few committee meetings when we discussed budget because as I understand it we have not got a healthy budget unless you know more than us!

Please enlighten us all

MQx

If Liskeard Athletic did have a healthy budget, why would they have risked their future in the Premier League? I think your information is incorrect "Billy the ledge".

Im sure Martin McHugh is not enjoying this season and would relish a bigger budget to strengthen the team.

Totally agree and no offence taken, I am an East Cornwall manager with an East Cornwall squad and we have have 2 other excellent managers in the club with the same aims. This club was quite successful a long time ago but the decision to use more local people will almost certainly result in the rebuilding process starting in a different division. We are prepared for that and need to strengthen the club from many different angles. We struggled to get 3 volunteers yesterday to run the club for the home game but we will pursue this. Many more clubs are in our position, some have already begun to rebuild lower down the divisions and we will do what is required to put 2 squads out every week until the end of the season. Anybody who would like to come and join us is more than welcome!

MQx

Totally agree and no offence taken, I am an East Cornwall manager with an East Cornwall squad and we have have 2 other excellent managers in the club with the same aims. This club was quite successful a long time ago but the decision to use more local people will almost certainly result in the rebuilding process starting in a different division. We are prepared for that and need to strengthen the club from many different angles. We struggled to get 3 volunteers yesterday to run the club for the home game but we will pursue this. Many more clubs are in our position, some have already begun to rebuild lower down the divisions and we will do what is required to put 2 squads out every week until the end of the season. Anybody who would like to come and join us is more than welcome!

MQx

Well said Martin, volunteers and a good committee is just as important as the players on the pitch, I must say Martin your boys never gave up yesterday considering the scoreline and nearly scored a couple near the end of game!!! There was some good youngsters on display for Liskeard yesterday. All the best Martin for the rest of the season!!

as the seasons progress more and more clubs will have to rely on less income and hopefully recruit local players , i do not no MQx or liskeard as a club but good luck for the future , and perhaps players will start to see reality is biting for all clubs at local level and maybe staying local to their area , to many players of average ability have picked up money for playing the game we all love and now clubs are starting to realise that it cant be sustained and many are finding that the birds are coming home to roost with mounting bills and falling gates clubs will have to stop paying or agree a cap on say for instance the amount that can be paid to say if you play in the swpl prem and so until the likes of the ecpl and combo dont pay we may get the loyalty back to home town clubs , but i am afraid the genie is out of the bottle and he doesnt want to go back , paying players has always gone on we all know it but how do we stop it apart from traveling expenses ? perhaps a change of say the way leagues are set up and get more teams playing local games not up on the whys and wherfores of the way the leagues have been set up over the years but perhaps maybe a way of cutting back on expenses ,and if a club has the ambitions and finances to move on let them do it , these are my own opinions and not linked or against any players or clubs just a genuine football fan

Stevieb reality hit home a couple seasons ago. The majority of clubs are paying basically travel expenses and that's it now, which by the time fines and money towards the end of season piss up are taken out of their pay packet every game your pretty much playing for free, which is how it should be, it's very few clubs which have the funds to offer.

Keep working hard MQ I think your doing a good job with no backing, however I feel the local players are letting you down at the moment.

You cant fault their work rate and drive but at this level you need players with a football brain... new players needed asap or change your set up and shape, keep it tight at the back and make your team hard to break down! just trying to help MQ

as the seasons progress more and more clubs will have to rely on less income and hopefully recruit local players , i do not no MQx or liskeard as a club but good luck for the future , and perhaps players will start to see reality is biting for all clubs at local level and maybe staying local to their area , to many players of average ability have picked up money for playing the game we all love and now clubs are starting to realise that it cant be sustained and many are finding that the birds are coming home to roost with mounting bills and falling gates clubs will have to stop paying or agree a cap on say for instance the amount that can be paid to say if you play in the swpl prem and so until the likes of the ecpl and combo dont pay we may get the loyalty back to home town clubs , but i am afraid the genie is out of the bottle and he doesnt want to go back , paying players has always gone on we all know it but how do we stop it apart from traveling expenses ? perhaps a change of say the way leagues are set up and get more teams playing local games not up on the whys and wherfores of the way the leagues have been set up over the years but perhaps maybe a way of cutting back on expenses ,and if a club has the ambitions and finances to move on let them do it , these are my own opinions and not linked or against any players or clubs just a genuine football fan

We could do with financial fair play, in one form or another, cascading right the way down the pyramid.

For salary caps read "expenses" cap.

The sooner the better.

Keep working hard MQ I think your doing a good job with no backing, however I feel the local players are letting you down at the moment.

You cant fault their work rate and drive but at this level you need players with a football brain... new players needed asap or change your set up and shape, keep it tight at the back and make your team hard to break down! just trying to help MQ

Hard work and commitment is all we have at the moment!

MQx