Cornwall Football Forum

Sent off, right off!

I was sent off on Saturday Playing for Sicker v Wadebridge, two yellows just before half time. I had a shower and then came out to watch my team in second half. I stood beside the dug out and behind the railings around the pitch, talking to the lads in the dug out. After about five minutes the ref spotted me and told the manager to tell me that i had to go to the clubhouse. Slightly bemused by this, I walked to the club house and stood on the concrete path near the club house talking to some supporters. Another five minutes passed and low and behold, I was told i had to go inside the clubhouse!

Now, I've been sent off a few times in my career and never been told to stay inside the club house after. I know i'm not allowd back in the dug out, but surely i can watch from the stand or behind the railings in this case! Can anyone shed some light on this for me please!!!!!!!

Yes If I may Crouchy, after being sent off you must leave the vicinity of the pitch, you cannot watch from the pitch side or from the stand, I have sent players back into the changing rooms before now., so the referee was correct. You may have got away with it before if the referee did not see you. I hope this helps you.

Sorry to be of no assistance on managers being sent to the stand in the pro game, it also baffles me especially in Dave`s scenario. I will say if i remove a manager from the dugout then he goes away from the vicinity of the pitch, included in that is a stand ( if there is one ). I will ask the powers that be when next I get a chance.

Crusty, actually there is a difference, a player can be sent off and shown a red card, but a manager who is a club official should not be shown a card of any colour but will reported for "misconduct by a club official" that comes under section 1b. and will be asked to leave the vicinity of the pitch.

Many years ago, if my memory serves me right ...... you had to leave the ground ! You were also not allowed to go into any other grounds during your suspension.

While serving a suspension many years ago, a referee tried to send me from the ground, he could not, as it was a public field ... so I stayed. Probably some 40 odd years ago.

I remember a time (must be about twelve years ago now) when Penzance thrashed Tavistock at Penlee Park. Tavvy had their manager sent off and he tried to take a seat at the back of the stand, but the referee wasn't having any of it and instructed him to go to the clubhouse. At Penlee, of course, that means being obliged to leave the ground itself. So I suppose there is nothing unusual about what happened to you.

I seem to remember that the manager in question left the club a few days later.

Just to put another angle on this,when I was a player manager in Australia a couple of years ago I was sent off and my suspension meant I couldn't be in the dug out for the next game but could watch from the opposite side of he pitch so had to have my assisant as a runner to pass on instructions,I was allowed to be in the changing room before the game and at half time ! Strange rules ,are they the same here ?