Cornwall Football Forum

Foul throw spinning ball

The cry of spinning ball foul throw reared its ugly head again today and to my amazment it was given .The throw was then taken by the opposition , who also spun the ball. Law 15 dictates that the ball has to be deliviered with 2 hands so as long as a player uses both hands putting as equal a force as he can with both hands that is a legitamate throw , whether the ball spins or not. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Balls spin, it's what they do, it's because they're round! A ball is always going to spin to some degree on one or more of its infinite number of axis'.

It is the degree and intentionality of the spin which is going to concern the Referee (although really it shouldn't). As long as both feet are correctly positioned and both hands in contact until the act of throwing, the throw should be legal. Once it leaves the hand and wind and air pressure comes in to play, anything can happen.

newlynnjm, you are correct, the Law does not mention spinning, in fact as it`s a round object just travelling through the air will make it spin. But I will add that it would seem the practice for players to scream " he is spinning the ball it`s a foul throw" so I do not know where this has come from, but they are incorrect.

As an old ancient ex ref,, I don't ever remember an issue with a spinning ball,, the law used to be,and I assume still is, that the ball be throne with both hands from behind the head,,,,,,however, it seems to be the norm today that players and a lot of refs turn a blind eye when it comes to foul throws , even in the professional game !! maybe its something to do with the ball today being so light,,, it dosent seem so long ago, when the ball was proper leather,,, and was laced up,,, I refused to play centre forward in the rain,, cos the ball was so heavy, it would nearly scat ur head off if u had to head it !!! lol,,, Enjoy ur game lads,,,

Correct Jim, not a foul throw. So what these people are expecting is to be able to throw a ball without any spin? Oh...perhaps not, maybe it was spinning "too much"? Ahhhh, so how much spinning is allowed?

See the problem?

Answer - get on with it!!

I've given a foul throw or 2 in my time, as my name suggests, but never once for "spinning" the ball. A ridiculous notion. If your feet are on the ground & the ball was thrown from behind the head with 2 hands then you have no problem. I think if you've got someone who can throw the ball a mile then why not use him, regardless of the technique. It's as good as a set piece if you've got it in your arsenal. I just hope referees aren't pressured into thinking it's against any rules!