Cornwall Football Forum

Players/spectators views on what's been a great season so far for the SWPL

For a bit of fun, players, managers and spectators opinions on players, ground, facilities, teams etc that stood out to them in there respected leagues this season.

Best team?

Best club house?

Best set up?

Best pitch?

Best support?

Best grub after game?

Best striker?

Best midfielder?

Best defender?

Best goal keeper?

Under achieved team?

For me in the SWPL division 1 west.

Best team? Callington, I no the league table doesn't lie and suggests Mousehole (at the moment) but in my opinion, Cally are the best team we've played this season.

Best clubhouse? Truro City R, just because of the standered of their facilities.

Best Set up ? Truro City R.

Best Pitch ? Sticker FC, The surface there week in week out regardless the weather is unbelievable.

Best support ? A number of teams bring a decent crowd but the best we've seen this season and atmosphere wise has been Foxhole FC.

Best grub? St Dennis, Cath in the tea hut makes the best curry ?

Beat Striker? Mark goldsworthy, (helston) year after year collects the golden boot

Best midfielder? Mark vercasi, still got it at that age ?

Best Defender ? David Rickard (St Dennis) reads the game so well at a young age. Ash Stidwell (helston) quick and strong.

Best goal keeper? Ryan Holland (sticker)

And under achieved team? I'd say Perrenporth in the league, the players they have in that team I'm shocked at there league position. Feel they should have finished higher with the quality they have.

best team Godolphin best defender Ollie PiNNELL best striker Levi Landicrombe best pitch Penryn best clubhouse Newquay best supporters Newquay best goalie the great Kevin Miller best midfielder Ross fallons the g under achieving team im sorry to say but its my home town of Newquay 1 week beating the team at the top week later losing to a team near the bottom

div 1 west for me,hard for me to comment as my first season in this league
Best team? callington

Best club house? truro

Best set up? truro

Best pitch? truro

Best support? foxhole

Best grub after game? haven't played every team so harsh for me to comment :P

Best striker? jack bowyer (sticker)

Best midfielder? cheesy (mousehole)

Best defender? joe stone (foxhole)

Best goal keeper?
callington keeper dont know his name
Under achieved team? penzance

:)

Premier;

Best team; parkway on their day.

Best striker; landricombe

Best midfielder; Exmouth winger and captain, left footed, don't know his name.

Best defender; probably one of the parkway back 3.

Best keeper; probably kev miller. Vast experience and some very important saves.

Best surface; Bodmin.

Best facilities; Tavistock.

Best fans; we all love our own supporters!

Biggest moaners; Exmouth or parkway - constantly surrounding the ref and screaming at every official at every game ive seen them involved in. Bodmin not far behind in 3rd.

Under achievers; Newquay FC as a whole. With their facilities, structure and money they shouldn't be that far down the league.

Over achievers; Godolphin. First season in prem. very thin squad of late. Lost some key players along the way. But still beat Bodmin twice, parkway, Exmouth twice (inc cup), St Austell twice amongst others and a Cup semi final and possibly a top 6 finish.

All in all a very entertaining season and still lots to play for.....

For me this season i have mainly followed the west division so here goes.....

Best team? Callington

Best club house? Wadebridge

Best set up? Wadebridge

Best pitch? Truro

Best support? Helston

Best half time grub? Callington

Best striker? Wade Brown (Mousehole)

Best midfielder? Luke Avis Rhiordham (Callington)

Best defender? Mark Vercesi (Mousehole)

Best goal keeper? Sam Borthwick (Callington)

Under achieved team? Truro Reserves

Best team? Helston - on their day

Best club house? Truro

Best set up? Truro

Best pitch? Sticker

Best support? Foxhole

Best grub after game? Truro,sticker

Best striker? Wade brown

Best midfielder? Dejan Maric

Best defender? As a team callington - individually don't stand out

Best goal keeper? Ry holland the ol'bey

Under achieving team? One of the bottom clubs, better than some mid table - eg. perranporth

Best team - IVYBRIDGE

Best club house - LISKEARD.

Best set up - SALTASH

Best pitch - SALTASH

Best support - PARKWAY

Best grub after game - !!!!!!!!

Best striker - ANDREW NEALE - IVYBRIDGE

Best midfielder - LANCE BAILEY - PARKWAY

Best defender - MIKE LANDRICOMBE - PARKWAY

Best goal keeper - MILLER - BODMIN

Under achieved team - BODMIN

West

Best team - mousehole

Best club house - callington

Best set up - Truro

Best pitch - Truro

Best grub - not sure

Best striker - Sam Stevens ( callington )

Best midfielder - cheesy ( mousehole )

Best defender - again callington back four

Best keeper - sticker keeper not sure on name

Under achieved team - Penzance

Due to my obvious bias , I have not gone for Parkway in any of these categories .

Best team - Liskeard ( In terms of attitude and spirit , they still kept going even at 8-0 down )

Best club house - Falmouth

Best set up - Ivybridge

Best pitch - St Blazey

Best support - Godolphin

Best grub - Cullompton ( it was like a wedding buffet )

Best striker - Andrew Neal ( Ivybridge)

Best midfielder - Chris Reski ( St Austell )

Best defender - Steve Simmonds ( Bodmin )

Best goalkeeper - Joe Moore ( Elmore ) ( had the game of his life down at Bolitho Park)

Underachievers - St Austell ( expected them to be strong contenders in the league , could still end up with two cups though )

Best team? Godolphin Atlantic

Best club house? Falmouth Town

Best set up? Tavistock

Best pitch? Saltash

Best support? St Austell (Senior Cup Final speaks for itself)

Best grub after game? !!!

Best striker? Levi Landricombe (Parkway)

Best midfielder? Chris Reski (St Austell)

Best defender? Jamie Lowry / Ollie Pinnel (Godolphin)

Best goal keeper? Jason Chapman (St Austell)

Under achieved team? Bodmin

I can only comment on the SWPL Prem, but it is nice to see so many West Div replies in this section.
Best team? Plymouth Parkway
Best club house? St Blazey
Best set up? Not sure what that means.
Best pitch? Depends when you play on it.
Best support? As usual, there are very few clubs with more than a car full of away fans who turn up at Mount Wise. Have to give the award to travelling fans to Newquay (obviously), there have been just 4 matches where our away support has numbered less than 20. At Home, Parkway have good numbers, but other than the 'big' games such as Cup Finals where the once a season pissheads turn out, there is very little in actual support for any team in the SWPL, it is more spectators who applaud at goals and shout at refs... and I include Newquay in that.
Best grub after game? Can't comment, but I'm sure the players appreciate all hospitality.
Best midfielder? Luke Rigby Godolphin & Jack Bray-Evans Newquay
Best defender? None
Best goal keeper? None
Under achieved team? St Austell should be top 4 but have been poor in the SWPL overall - As a club, Falmouth continue to baffle.

I can only comment on the SWPL Prem, but it is nice to see so many West Div replies in this section.
Best team? Plymouth Parkway
Best club house? St Blazey
Best set up? Not sure what that means.
Best pitch? Depends when you play on it.
Best support? As usual, there are very few clubs with more than a car full of away fans who turn up at Mount Wise. Have to give the award to travelling fans to Newquay (obviously), there have been just 4 matches where our away support has numbered less than 20. At Home, Parkway have good numbers, but other than the 'big' games such as Cup Finals where the once a season pissheads turn out, there is very little in actual support for any team in the SWPL, it is more spectators who applaud at goals and shout at refs... and I include Newquay in that.
Best grub after game? Can't comment, but I'm sure the players appreciate all hospitality.
Best midfielder? Luke Rigby Godolphin & Jack Bray-Evans Newquay
Best defender? None
Best goal keeper? None
Under achieved team? St Austell should be top 4 but have been poor in the SWPL overall - As a club, Falmouth continue to baffle.

Considering the change of management and a few players, I dont see how you can say St Austell have been poor overall....yes, we should be higher up the league but i believe the league is a competitive one and the top teams can lose several games throughout the season to anyone. We have a senior cup title in our cabinate and are in the throgmorton cup final, qualified for the fa cup & fa vase, beat our closest rivals st blazey on 3 occasions and tanked our next closest rivals newquay twice. So overall i think its been a pretty succesful season for the lillywhites so far :)

I think phil would be delighted with the cup success st.austell have achieved this season, however to be so far off the top teams in the league i cant imagen he would look at the league campaign as a success. Only my opinion, i might be wrong. A win against local rivals is always nice but both newquay & st.blazey have had poor seasons in their own right, with both failing to qualify for next seasons fa.cup.

I think phil would be delighted with the cup success st.austell have achieved this season, however to be so far off the top teams in the league i cant imagen he would look at the league campaign as a success. Only my opinion, i might be wrong. A win against local rivals is always nice but both newquay & st.blazey have had poor seasons in their own right, with both failing to qualify for next seasons fa.cup.

As i said.....we could be higher in the league but not everything goes ur way in football. Im just saying i feel 'overall' we have had a very succesful season with the qualification of both FA Cup competitions and 2 cup finals (one being succesful)

And yes Blazey and Newquay have had a poor season considering the size and history of the 2 clubs......so pot, kettle, black springs to mind with Nemisis' comment.

St Blazeys sucess will come again. No point throwing money at something when the money isnt there. The club continues to make a profit and in these struggling

times that to me us a sucess. Weve had a up and down season but generally seen some good football. Weve lost 13 matches by one goal this season. So not exactly thumped off the pitch. Not to disapointed with the two defeats against St Austell who needed to keep the ball in the corner in both league matches as they were hanging on. Literally. Semi final of one cup and beating the potential champions Parkway with a bit to spare.

With some of the best facilities around and a brilliant clubhouse St Blazey will challenge again when the time is right.

Just my opinion Ricks, not that it counts for much. I just think that the quality players St Austell have, should be challenging for the SWPL title. You have a great manager, a lot of talented players, but not had the best of SWPL seasons, which is what the title of the thread is about. Obviously a good cup side, the best result was the Ivybridge one in the SWPL Cup. I'm sure Lafs will be busy in the summer, tempting a few Godolphin lads away would bolster the side.

Newquay lost heavily on too many occasions, but most of the players are either Teens or over 30's. Wins at places like Exmouth and Witheridge show that there is the potential to move forwards and like St Blazey, our time will come again. We did not have the best of seasons for various reasons, but have scored more goals than both Bodmin & Godolphin, a teenage back four will have learnt a lot this season. As for the FA Cup, Newquay did not apply this time round.

A great topic, everyone has opinions, all different, all good. If we we're all the same, it would be a very boring world.