Cornwall Football Forum

Friday Night Football - Newquay AFC vs Illogan RBL

FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

SWPL (Walter C Parson) League Cup 1st Rd - Fri 19 Sep 7.30pm at
Mount Wise Stadium, Newquay.

The Peppermints look to put a run of one goal defeats behind them as SWPL West Division high flyers Illogan RBL FC, make the short trip up the coast. Come and support THE TOWNS CLUB (or Illogan) on Friday evening in what will be a tough battle.

Admission is standard SWPL prices £5 adults /£3 OAP's & U16's / Free to all NAFC Youth players.

The phrase Towns 'Premier' Club applied when the neighbours were in the West Div. However, we are THE TOWNS CLUB, have been since 1890 and looking forward to our 125th year from January.

Have to say well done to both sides for a cracking game and never sitting back. All the goals scored at the clubhouse end and Illogan always able to keep their nose in front.

Illogan's goal to give them a 3-2 in extra time was the killer as they caught the Newquay defence and more in particular the defensive wall asleep. Just a llittle roll of the ball forward from Ellis into the run of Nixon who got away from the wall and enough space to square it into the six yard box where Jason Roberts slid in to touch home.

Sam Waters made something out of nothing to clinch the tie with the visitors 4th and although when Newquay's Matt Drummond scored to make it 4-3 there was still 4 minutes left, Illogan stayed in control to see the match home.

Illogan just shaded this game as they played with passion throughout which was something Newquay in my opinon did not have , however it might have been a different story

if the Illogan referees assistant had been up with play and had seen the ball cross the line to put Newquay in front.

Newquays defence was again very poor and full credit to Illogan they took full advantage of this.

Newquay had Sam Fearon making his debut tonight having signed from Godolphin and he had an excellent game until he retired injured.

Good luck to Illogan in the next round.

Attendance was 141, all got good value for the admission price.

Newquay fans had forgotten how poor 'club linesmen' can be, got a rude reminder tonight, that fella must be worth 18 points a season. Man in the middle was just as bad, never seen him have a good game, even when we have won in the past.

As someone wiser than me said, it was a game of 4 halves. Newquay had the majority of goal opportunities in the first period, but couldn't put the ball away. Illogan had three chances, took two and hit the bar with the other. Having said that, Illogan played the better football, were quicker to the ball and obviously have a good settled side.

Second half and it was all Newquay, got the two goals back and should have finished the game off. However, this one was always destined for Extra Time, Illogan came out and scored two more before Newquay dragged the game back into the possibility of penalties.

I don't think anyone would have complained if it had gone to spot kicks, but Illogan probably just shaded it on the night. Not sure what one of their fans meant as he walked out at the end, "what's it like to be beaten by a Combo side" ? Perhaps this was his first game in a while, can't be too many Combo sides with a FA Vase Wembley winner playing for them either.

Thought former Penzance lad Tim Nixon looked good for Illogan, but Sam Fearon making his debut after crossing town, Matt Drummond and Sam Cooper were the shining lights for The Peppermints, Drummo lasted the full 120 mins impressing many in the side terrace.

Well done Illogan, good luck v Helston or Perranporth in 2nd Rd.

Good attendance, can never fault the Newquay support, i know a afew that have been down to watch Newquay & all have said they will struggle this season. With Illogan just being promoted to the league below you would of said the peppermints should of had to much for them on their own patch. Good to see Matthew Drummond back playing, with players like him,Sam Cooper & Luke Whelden its a mystery why the team are not getting results. Some good people at the club

Being a Newquay fan what exactly do you expect him to write?? Would this suit you more.....

Oh what a jolly good evening out under those brightly lit bulbs. Two football teams giving each other a jolly good test while the superb referee controlled ones match to perfection. Well played everyone.

Attendance was 141, all got good value for the admission price.

Newquay fans had forgotten how poor 'club linesmen' can be, got a rude reminder tonight, that fella must be worth 18 points a season. Man in the middle was just as bad, never seen him have a good game, even when we have won in the past.

As someone wiser than me said, it was a game of 4 halves. Newquay had the majority of goal opportunities in the first period, but couldn't put the ball away. Illogan had three chances, took two and hit the bar with the other. Having said that, Illogan played the better football, were quicker to the ball and obviously have a good settled side.

Second half and it was all Newquay, got the two goals back and should have finished the game off. However, this one was always destined for Extra Time, Illogan came out and scored two more before Newquay dragged the game back into the possibility of penalties.

I don't think anyone would have complained if it had gone to spot kicks, but Illogan probably just shaded it on the night. Not sure what one of their fans meant as he walked out at the end, "what's it like to be beaten by a Combo side" ? Perhaps this was his first game in a while, can't be too many Combo sides with a FA Vase Wembley winner playing for them either.

Thought former Penzance lad Tim Nixon looked good for Illogan, but Sam Fearon making his debut after crossing town, Matt Drummond and Sam Cooper were the shining lights for The Peppermints, Drummo lasted the full 120 mins impressing many in the side terrace.

Well done Illogan, good luck v Helston or Perranporth in 2nd Rd.

Yep, must stop being so biased !

The Illogan Lino on the other hand... is it right that a club lino cheers and does a little jig when he thought his side had scored a 3rd goal ? The same incident wrongly described by JR 08 above, the ball was booted out of Joe Cranes hands !

As for the handball, I agree Newquay player did handball, but was missed by the 100% perfect officials, but so was the handled clearance off the line, not behind the line as some thought. Apparently you are not allowed to comment on these things, as vital as they are to describing the game, for fear that you might be called biased.

I don't report on here very often, partly due to Idiots who think you have to give a bland view on everything, then there is my work for the Newquay Voice, where Newquay players will be named if they make mistakes. However, Tom Howe covered last night for the paper, allowing me to enjoy / endure the match.

It is strange, but we don't yet sell Rose tinted specs in the Megastore !

Oh dear oh dear The Town Club beaten by The Village Team, must have been the F A Vase Wembley winning captain that made the difference. Some other observations made, Definition of a Stadium, Large building for sport, must have been a lot of improvements since I last visited Mount Wise. Matt Drummond and Sam Cooper were shining lights at Fridays game, was there a floodlight failure that I did not hear about. In conclusion I think Grammar lessons are required by the Newquay Voice.

Nemesis your keeper spilled the ball and then reached out full stretch with one hand to try and smother his mistake, as he got one hand to the ball at full stretch our player smashed it in, keeper wasn't in possession with 2 hands

Jamo, obviously I wasn't there, but I thought the goalkeeper did not have to have two hands on the ball to be in possession of the ball? I may be mistaken.

Nemesis your keeper spilled the ball and then reached out full stretch with one hand to try and smother his mistake, as he got one hand to the ball at full stretch our player smashed it in, keeper wasn't in possession with 2 hands

Jamo, obviously I wasn't there, but I thought the goalkeeper did not have to have two hands on the ball to be in possession of the ball? I may be mistaken.

The referee actually shouted something like : "Don't need two hands on it, he had control!"

I've tried looking this sort of offence up in LOAF but can't find anything. Perhaps someone in the know would help me understand and explain what Kevin meant?

Josh dron you are right you were not there well done, if a keeper drops a ball then on full stretch try's to recover but doesn't regain it by a fingertip with one hand as a striker hits it in, it's a goal, would u not agree? Is a fingertip on the stretch possession? The Newquay linesman who was a gentleman all night told the ref the keeper wasn't in possession as lost it, but it was kevs choice to over rule

Page 120 LOTG

A goalkeeper is not permitted to keep control of the ball in his hands for more than six seconds. A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball:

while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any surface

(e.g. ground, own body)

while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand

while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air

When a goalkeeper has gained possession of the ball with his hands, he cannot be challenged by an opponent.

I was only questioning the rule Jamo, how an earth could I question the decision. I had a clear enough mind on Friday night to know where I was, thanks for reassuring me ?.

I only queried as in your original post it said he had his hand on the ball, not his fingertip like in your follow up post. I just sought clarification on the ruling.

Great win and great start to the season. Hope you're keeping well x