Cornwall Football Forum

Western League applications

With the deadline now passed for the "Pyramid" promotion to the Step 5 Western League can anyone confirm

AFC St.Austell and Exmouth Town have made an application?

Also a plan "B" for Exmouth for a sideways move to step 6 Western League Div.1 ?

With Elmore also gone will this mean no relegation from swpl Premeier to division 1 ?

Think clubs in mid Cornwall and below , that includes St Austell , need to think seriously whether this is a viable move . Some players will not be able to commit to the extra travelling , meaning building a different squad . Additional out goings on expences , reduced gate all for very little or no reward . Unless you have a good money man and are prepared to keep going and building for promotion , eg Truro , I see little point . Lets not forget the Western league is probably of poorer quality then the top south west peninsula league

When teams don't apply people are quick to say no ambition and boring. Bodmin have suffered from that in recent years. Now St Austell have indicated they want to step up and it's not being greeted with positive vibes.

Admittedly Truro aside, no Cornish team has lasted in the Western League and Saltash had a two year sojourn before the SWPL which wasn't a huge success. Truro have proved that it can be done and there appears to be some money at St Austell so good on them for trying.

Many clubs up and down the country register intent, for many it is an exercise to test the water, improvements to the ground, surrounding areas etc. once they know the commitment required they can plan ahead, with many it is too much to do this year maybe next year or the year after, laying the foundations for when an upward move is viable.

Promotion with all the money spent on improvements to the stadium could see the club struggle on the pitch, if necessary it may be better to wait a season so the team too is strengthened.

Good luck to all clubs taking the plunge.

So super have you intentions on taken promotion? I would say you have a good enough side to compete at next level but reckon you would need to improve squad as a whole. What are your thoughts on this?

We have all intentions of going up providing we fininsh in the right position!! (Long way to go yet) and we make the ground grading, the club is in its best position on and off the pitch for as long as i can remember so why not make the step up??

We do need to do a bit work to the ground first mind!!!

With reference to the squad being good enough, I am not the manager Lafs is, so that is down to him.

It seems St.Austell are considering this very professionally. Detailed questionairres were handed out to the 50+ supporters on the bus to Folland in the Vase regarding a possible move up and it appears the committee will be consulting supporters, management, players, sponsors etc before making a final decision IF the team end the season in a high enough position.

That is the way to do it, involve every-one, good planning there. There's a few who could learn from taking that route....past and present.

If you make it.....well done from me, and the best of luck. I will make the trip to see you play a few times, buy a pasty, have a go on the raffle.....that's the best I can do.

Well done to St Austell. You are definetely a club going in the right direction both on and off the pitch, you only have to look down the road to St Blazey to see what happens when success turns to complacency, then to stagnation and then to decline. I wonder if a few of their supporters think "what if" . As a Parkway supporter I think that we should have given promotion a go after we finished second in 2012/13, I understand the resons why, but ( as I said above) the "what if" thought remains .

Don't agree with the statement made by Tribute about the Western League being of poorer quality than the Peninsula Prem. It is probably true that there isn't much to choose between the top sides in each division ( as have been borne out by encounters between the clubs from respective leagues in the FA Cup and Vase of recent seasons) , but it is the strength down through the division that is the difference. It does not appear that there are any whipping boys a the bottom of the Toolstation Prem, whereas the Peninsula Prem certainly has a few and the results between the bottom sides and the top sides in the division can often be foregone conclusions before the match starts. My apologies to the supporters of Bovey Tracey and Elburton Villa, but the recent matches between them and Parkway were two of the dullest matches I have ever seen in terms of them being completely one sided contests involving teams that were just not up to it . The respective results of 9-0 and 6-0 had very little memorable about either of them, and were certainly not great adverts for the strength and standing of the league.

Exactly Dave, as i said anyone can apply now in January, its at the end of the season when we see who will go through with it. Id put my neck on the block & say no cornish club will accept the offer when asked

I believe Leeds that the deadline for application is 31st December....however I may be wrong.

Can anyone confirm this ?

[quote name="leedsunited" post="285449" timestamp="1420492222"

Exactly Dave, as i said anyone can apply now in January, its at the end of the season when we see who will go through with it. Id put my neck on the block & say no cornish club will accept the offer when asked

I believe Leeds that the deadline for application is 31st December....however I may be wrong.

Can anyone confirm this ?

If St Austell do take the plunge and move up to the Western league their nearest local derby fixture will be ex-South West Peninsula side Buckland athletic, who took promotion a couple of years ago. I have been to their ground a couple of times and it is a very good set up, but a long way to travel on a Boxing Day. If that's one of the dates of the local derbies. But good luck to you all in whatever decision you take, and God bless you one and all

It's all about the money money money

Soneone said truro have proved that you can do it. Haha, kevin Heaney could have done that with any SWL team.

Tgere is no chance at all on getting any further than the peninsula league, being successful and sustaining it without spending more than you can afford

I would imagine that if the top 8-10 SWPL sides all took promotion when it became available to them, they would easily avoid relegation back down. If that were to happen, the Western Prem would become more balanced in clubs spread down from Glos to Cornwall.

We could already have St Blazey (from the winning the old SWL many times), Bodmin & Parkway moved up, just as Exmouth wanted to last season, add on Buckland and that would already see the balance heading South West from Bristol. If St Austell do go up, the balance of power locally would switch from Truro who are a basket case of a club, to the rejuvenated Lliywhites.

Good luck to both sides who have applied, it is the right thing to do.

A simple answer to this is to make the peninsular prem step 5 and the western step 6. The top sides in the peninsular have constantly beaten there Western league rivals in the vase and fa cup.

Perhaps the FA should look at this !!

Surely though this wouldn't be avoiding the annual question asking if anyone is applying/taking promotion - it'll just mean instead of the Western Premier, clubs will be looking at the Southern League, Division One South & West?