Cornwall Football Forum

Witheridge 3 St Austell 2

Champions slip up at jinx club Witheridge, maybe some weariness after the fourth match in eight days. However well done Withy. Congratulations to the committee, management and players of the Lillywhites after a magnificent season, the best in our history. See you all at the Presentation Evening in June. 

Today's scorers - Witheridge - Kelly 2, Humphrey.  St Austell - Eddy & Hart 

Just heard Truro won their play off, Congratulations and good luck in the new National League South next season. 

Edited by midlandlilywhite

A great end to another good season for Withy who finish the season with a sixth place finish which is another personal best for the club. Brilliant fun today with the St Austell boys who made the trip up in a double decker bus and certainly made sure they drank enough to last a whole season. Hosts took an early lead through Liam Eddy with 16 year old Bradley Kelly equalising for Withy but not before Kyle Bassett had a penalty saved by Chapman between the St Austell posts.  Brad Kelly headed Withy into a half time lead however Chapman made his second penalty save of the afternoon straight after the restart, this time denying Luke Cole from the spot. Martin Giles was shown a straight red for foul and abusive language towards Withy striker Jordan Charran which seemed a bit harsh before the visitors equalised through a fine strike from Dan Hart.  Mike Humprheys hit the winning goal of the day for Withy from 35 yards out which struck the underside of the crossbar before nestling in the net and giving Chapman no chance. In the clubhouse after the banter was friendly between both sets of players and supporters with singing and chanting before the Withy supporters starting up a Champione chant out of respect for the newly crowned league champions just before the St Austell crew climbed back aboard their bus for the trip back to Cornwall.

A great way to end the season.

great hospitality and sportsmanship shown by witheridge, a disappointing result but really there was nothing to play for. I hope that we can keep all this squad together for the coming seasons because no teams stand a chance over a season of beating us 

Champions slip up at jinx club Witheridge, maybe some weariness after the fourth match in eight days. However well done Withy. Congratulations to the players, management and players of the Lillywhites after a magnificent season, the best in our history. See you all at the Presentation Evening in June. 

Today's scorers - Witheridge - Kelly 2, Humphrey.  St Austell - Eddy & Hart 

Just heard Truro won their play off, Congratulations and good luck in the new National League South next season. 

​Would concur with all you say Nick, fantastic season, great performances on the pitch and 'hats off ' to the Committee  for amongst them are still many of whom rescued the club from extinction not so long ago. :thumbsup: And the crowd  of 1986 ( FA Vase Semi ) is the highest in the Duchy  this season. :c:

At least 3 have left already !! retaining a title is very difficult. One left 2 weeks ago a week before picking up the trophy. Crazy stuff

Correct me if im wrong but the only team to retain the title in recent times are bodmin?  Also from what I heard at a sunday devon cup final last week bodmin will be going all out to win the title back bringing in a new assistant manager and 5-6 new players

From the Herald Express :

"BUCKLAND ATHLETIC want to deliver the manager Adam Castle his dream of Southern League football next year – after the Homers Heath club finished second in the Premier Division of the Western League on Monday but were denied promotion because they hadn't applied.

A convincing 5-0 win against Bradford Town brought the curtain down on Buckland's best season ever and their second place finish behind Melksham Town would have been enough to see them playing in the South & West Division of the Southern League next season. But with the decision made not to apply to go up early in the campaign, the club will begin its fourth Step 6 season in August with a renewed vigour.

Now they just need to find the money to get the work done, says the commercial manager John Piller – as the committee steps up its search for fresh sponsorship and new backers.

"We are an ambitious club and we want to move up – and it is purely finances that are holding us back at the moment," he said. "There is a lot of work to do to improve pitch drainage.

"In this league we only play 36 games, but in the Southern League we would be playing 42 games.

"We can't afford to have games off so we need to put some natural drainage on the pitch and that could cost us up to £40,000 with the VAT."

It isn't only the pitch that needs to be worked on. To qualify for the Southern League, the club will have to add more seats and a covered standing area.

They will need to add toilets accessible without going into the bar, further fencing will have to be erected and turnstiles installed.

Piller said: "Basically, we are looking for investment – and the shirt sponsorship with Eastern Eye is up this year, so we are talking to two interested parties, but that is something that is still open for negotiation.

"And we are also investigating selling the naming rights to the ground.

"If somebody came in and offered us £20,000 for a five-year sponsorship deal we would be putting our application in right away.

"I think we will apply this year anyway – because Adam and the players need that backing."

Melksham, who beat Buckland to the title, did apply for promotion but their new-build stadium has fallen behind and they were forced to turn down the opportunity.

At Step 6 football, the highest place team in the top three who has applied to go up, will go up. But Castle isn't bitter about missing out. "We are ahead of schedule to be honest," he said.

"It's an opportunity missed but it wasn't one our target this season – our target was to break into the top six.

"So we are a little bit ahead of schedule but that is what I expect from this group of players. We have broken the back of the league now and we will be there or thereabouts when the medals are being dished out."

They may have 'broken the back' of the Western League, but Buckland won't be breaking the bank to break into the Southern League.

Piller said: "We have never been a boom and bust club – everything is within our means.

"We have a playing budget and travelling expenses and whatever that budget is, the manager has to stick to it.

"There is no point in chucking silly numbers at promotion because we want to be here next year and the year after and the year after that.

"We have road works just outside the ground which is all part of the bigger A380 and once that is finished off the access in from the Barn Owl pub turning will be fantastic.

"If we sell the naming rights and get a nice sign on the new road, that would be a great advertisement for any local business."

So the work begins, and Piller is eager to talk to anyone who might be tempted to help the club take the next step – into the Southern League, and from there, who knows?

"

Your Bodmins parkways saltash and anyone else will have to just except that there is a new chief in town and it goes by the name st austell. Leeds united yes iam new to this area but i have seen enough over the last  season to have a say and a view and in my opinion st austell will take some beating for the next few seasons.  

Your Bodmins parkways saltash and anyone else will have to just except that there is a new chief in town and it goes by the name st austell. Leeds united yes iam new to this area but i have seen enough over the last  season to have a say and a view and in my opinion st austell will take some beating for the next few seasons.  

Well ben just for everyone else in the league I hope that what I heard was true and bodmin will b a lot more competitive next season

Unsure bout bods,but nanks n Damon got families to spend time with,kids footy I think It said,spoke to nanks on Sunday n his boy is doing superb at his club so can't really blame him for retiring to watch his own son,don't no Damon so can't say other than wots in the voice but rumour has it they all want to come st Stephens n play duchy prem!!!!