Cornwall Football Forum

Saltash Utd manager

In all seriousness, is there any new on the appointment odf a new manager? I have not seen any advertisements relating to the post, so can only assume the club has somone in mind already.

The team, on a relatively low budget  achieved third position in the league last season. I for one would be bitterly disappointed if a manager was not appointed to develope the squad and go for silverware next season.

Well considering players have already left I would say rebuilding not developing squad more like . Saltash to finish mid table next season

For what it's worth I will give my input. Paul you are absolutely right it's only May and most people in this league are enjoying a much deserved break. However, I am a great believer that there's no smoke without fire in this game so a lot of today's speculation will in fact turn out to be true come June (next week) when people can sign for other clubs!!

Other clubs that made their appointment before the last season ended so they could take stock of what they had and gave them an opportunity to speak with players before they had their Summer break about staying with the respective Clubs again next season - Parkway a good example of this with Hendy and Stewart appointed mid-April. The simple fact is Saltash haven't appointed and therefore the likelihood is that their better players will be tapped up during this uncertain period ready for pre-season. 

I believe Saltash is one of the biggest and best clubs around locally but they are at a very serious junction or cross roads!! Do they seriously invest in a new Manager on and off the pitch with much bigger budget and attract a few big names to try and compete, along with hopefully retaining most of last years squad.  Or do they go down a Liskeard route in going local, working with a small budget, get the infrastructure right for future generations and just accept that mid-table is gonna have to be acceptable for a while!! This is not a dig at Liskeard as I have total respect for Martin MQ and all connected with that Club and what they are achieving under difficult circumstances. But let's be honest great clubs in this league have fallen by the wayside in recent years like Falmouth, Liskeard, Newquay, Wadebridge just to mention a few!! So in my humble opinion it's a big few weeks for Saltash which is probably why they are taking so long in reaching their decision. 

One thing is for sure Saltash have just had a remarkable season considering they finished top 3 with a budget the same as teams in the bottom 3 last season and it's testament to how well Burgess and Bayliss both did. However, if the offer being made to players isn't improved next season then players will leave and then it will take a miracle to repeat the top 3 finish of 2014/15.  

"Up The Ashes". 

Mark - 2nd Team Manager

We are still in May and as yet, I would say your knowledge may only be rumour, not fact.

It is most important "the ashes" engage a manager worthy of the position, look to secure the services of the vast majority of last seasons squad, with three or four additions.

Well,  I would say this is fact as ive been told by the players also been told ben Davis has also left 

Well from what has been said, it doesn't look like saltash will have a choice, if the majority of the squad have left already. Seems a shame tho, they have been consistently top 3 for the last few season. Maybe the club took the players for granted. Can see them really struggling next season. 

I t5hink Saltash should be congratulated.  You cannot spend what you don't have.  One of the things the Ashes do suffer from as well is when Argyle are home at the same time they miss out.  Remember this, Sugar daddies come and go.    I hope they stay within their means

Little unfair. Having gone to all but one of the Saltash games last season, I think that is passionate. Who a club decides to sign is a matter of the management.  They know who they can afford or not afford. Sadly , money buys success and makes followers such as me disillusioned with the game.

Edited by pastyman

Wouldnt say thats completely true Pastyman. I can think of clubs that would of spent a whole lot more than Saltash last year & not finished in the top 6 let alone the top 3!! Look at St.Blazey, dwindling gates, a team from Plymouth, must be costing the club a fortune for no return? So dont be down beat Pastyman.

Without doubt, what Saltash achieved last season, was fantastic, not knocking that at all. Yes some clubs are spending a fortune and nothing to show for it. However, if the clubs have the money, it is their right to spend as they wish.  In St Austells case, they took a bold step and raised the club from the doldrums and the rest is history.

I wasn't expecting that type of response thats all paul.  I know you follow saltash religiously and also attend other games in the league where possible, but my question was asked with the hope of you perhaps highlighting a few players that you as a loyal fan would want to see at kimberly and that your voice may well be the voice of the other loyal fans like yourself.