Cornwall Football Forum

Entry to Argyle Matches Div 1 W

An article in the Herald today re this - Lists will have to be presented - The SWPL say" One of the lists will contain the names of the pilgrims squad and another will be for the visiting team."  " A third list will be supplied by the League on the Friday afternoon before the fixtures." "Therefore closer to the time, I will be inviting ground hoppers, referee's assessors, local supporters to email me with their details."

" I will email them to Mark Lovell at Argyle on a Friday afternoon. So that's a third list for the general public, as it were."

" Plymouth Argyle will have a person at the gate - not the Ministry of Defence - ........."

Many followers of local football do not have e mail and on a Saturday, dependent on the weather and what games are left on may wish to go to a local match. So what happens to them ?

What happens to a team that has to change its players on the Saturday ?

What happens if this procedure is not followed, would the game be in doubt ?

So much for the reserve side, I did say previously it would be youth players - Argyle say " the squad is likely to be based around the 16 - 18 year olds who are enrolled on the education scheme run by the Argyle Community Trust."

As said before its amazing how football connections do not learn from previous mistakes.

Think they will find that if the gate is open there will be a guard on it to control access regardless of how many lists an argyle representative has, completely stupid choice of ground. Can already see the posts on here after each argyle home game.

All this was pre-exempted by the guys on the forum, Argyle aren't in the league for the benefit of the league and other clubs, the SWPL have bent over backwards for them, just a shame they haven't for the teams that were refused entry to Div East & West. Away fans will have an absolute nightmare trying to watch their team play away to Argyle and won't get much financial benefit when playing them at home. I'm with you Paul, I'll be flabbergasted if they last two seasons. That'll be on the SWPL boards heads. 

All this was pre-exempted by the guys on the forum, Argyle aren't in the league for the benefit of the league and other clubs, the SWPL have bent over backwards for them, just a shame they haven't for the teams that were refused entry to Div East & West. Away fans will have an absolute nightmare trying to watch their team play away to Argyle and won't get much financial benefit when playing them at home. I'm with you Paul, I'll be flabbergasted if they last two seasons. That'll be on the SWPL boards heads. 

​ Agree entirely. The infamous swpl officials would only have bent over backwards for a Devon club but can do no wrong according to themselves or never be open to criticism,suggestion or reasoning.

​ Agree entirely. The infamous swpl officials would only have bent over backwards for a Devon club but can do no wrong according to themselves or never be open to criticism,suggestion or reasoning.

Wouldn't you be better addressing your concerns on the official SWPL website's Forum where there answers might be given to your grievances?

Wouldn't you be better addressing your concerns on the official SWPL website's Forum where there answers might be given to your grievances?

No, I'd rather write it here where more people and more fans can see the concerns. The SWPL keep tabs on this forum, if they wanted to they could address things here. But they won't. 

your all missing the point. Regardless of which Plymouth Argyle team it is, surely just by having a side bearing there name is good for the league. Followers of non league football throughout the UK will look at our league and think to themselves that an addition of a league club to Step 7 must mean that the league is very strong. I am sorry but I think its a great achievement by the league to have accepted them and swpl west will have all looked at the fixtures and most would of checked when they are playing Plymouth Argyle.

An excerpt from a quote taken from the SWPL website:

The 3rd and most contentious item – “lists” – To be honest we are still working on this, and probably will still be as they play there first few home games and issues come up and are hopefully resolved. We have stressed to Argyle that they need to make it work, we will support that, but: as the article clearly stresses – It’s upto Argyle to make it work themselves, they want to play there, facilities wise it’s acceptable for step 7, so in many ways it is they that need to ensure it runs smoothly.

The league will monitor, support and raise issues as needed, but please lets actually wait 2 months for them to host a game there in August before condemning them now.

your all missing the point. Regardless of which Plymouth Argyle team it is, surely just by having a side bearing there name is good for the league. Followers of non league football throughout the UK will look at our league and think to themselves that an addition of a league club to Step 7 must mean that the league is very strong. I am sorry but I think its a great achievement by the league to have accepted them and swpl west will have all looked at the fixtures and most would of checked when they are playing Plymouth Argyle.

All very well having 'Plymouth Argyle' in the league, who cares if it makes it look good, it's about that they can bring to the league. We'll just have to see, SWPL must of been desperate for these in the league to make the league 'look good' & thus make the SWPL board 'look good'.

All very well having 'Plymouth Argyle' in the league, who cares if it makes it look good, it's about that they can bring to the league. We'll just have to see, SWPL must of been desperate for these in the league to make the league 'look good' & thus make the SWPL board 'look good'.

​ Very true the swpl officials always want tolook good !

• 4 weeks later...

From the SWPL website's forum this afternoon :

As has already been reported in the local press, Plymouth Argyle have been in talks with Torquay United about taking over some of the grounds for the Pilgrims use. We understand that the two clubs and the owner of the land have now reached an agreement for at least the next two years.
Plymouth Argyle are entering a Reserve team in the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League this coming season, and have been placed in the West Division at the league AGM in June, at which time Bickleigh Barracks was to be the venue for Home fixtures.

Plymouth Argyle requested that we approve Seale Hayne for there Home venue as the facilities there are directly under the clubs control and following problems with Bickleigh Barracks, both in a perceived access situation, and following a report from the MOD that the Boiler in the Dressing Rooms has now been condemned.

The Grounds sub-committee were satisfied that the two pitches at Seale Hayne are both suitable for Step 7 football, and are satisfied that other facilities (changing rooms, car parking, toilets & catering for spectators) are acceptable for our use. We therefore grant Argyle there request to make Seale Hayne the venue for Home fixtures in the SWPL.

The remaining issue is one of location, whilst the ground is well within the leagues normal remit of Devon & Cornwall, its location is not somewhere that West Division football would normally be played. However as the league AGM has been held and the constitution has been agreed we are unable to switch them to the East Division now (which in any event is currently full). Which Division they are allocated in future seasons will be considered in due course. 

As far as the 2015/16 season ONLY, the following additional condition was made with regard to Home SWPL fixtures. All Home games are fixtured at this time for Saturday afternoons, as away clubs will travel further than expected, all fixtures will remain on Saturdays where possible. If games are postponed and no Saturday dates can be found for re-scheduling (there is some spare capacity in built into the fixtures) then Plymouth Argyle must provide a floodlit acceptable ground in the PL Post code area for matches to be played so as to avoid West clubs having to travel into South Devon for non-Saturday fixtures.

By Order.

Philip Hiscox (League Secretary)

I totally agree with whats been said .Not allowing Mullion into the league because of lack of hand basins and yet they allow a team with no ground in. The league is bending over backwards to help a team who will not give a toss when they withdraw next season !!!

Defiantly a case of ' who you are ' here. I feel that someone knew about the Argyle application a long time ago & someone was going to miss out to allow them in. The peninsular league is allowing itself to become a joke. Maybe it's time for clubs to start thinking about a Cornwall west / Cornwall east league & cut out the stupid travelling that is now being incured. We're all agreed that most clubs do not have any money & here are the peninsula league making Mousehole traval to Torquay, bloody ludicrous  !!!!!!

As an Argyle Fan I have to agree with the general sentiments but I don't think you can blame the League as they've been well & truely stitched up by Argyle.

I believe the League did consider turning down the original application but apparently if they had then Argyle could / would have appealed to the FA who would have told the League to let them in anyway.

Defiantly a case of ' who you are ' here. I feel that someone knew about the Argyle application a long time ago & someone was going to miss out to allow them in. The peninsular league is allowing itself to become a joke. Maybe it's time for clubs to start thinking about a Cornwall west / Cornwall east league & cut out the stupid travelling that is now being incured. We're all agreed that most clubs do not have any money & here are the peninsula league making Mousehole traval to Torquay, bloody ludicrous  !!!!!!

​Who missed out?

SWPL can only take one side from each of it's feed leagues and Wendron were promoted from the Combo.

You can jump up and down as much as you like but Mullion were not up to scratch.

When your ground was being inspected, no-one turned up to let the Grading Inspectors in to the building to look at the internals (changing rooms, etc) of the club and it was only luck someone eventually did arrive (who I believe was the chap that cleans up and was passing by) who wasn't even a committee member. That showed no respect to the SWPL.

That fact wouldn't go against the club but Mullion were sent a communication way in advance (think it was January) detailing the things that HAVE to be done/in place before they could enter the SWPL so is it the fault of the SWPL that these were not done?

​Who missed out?

SWPL can only take one side from each of it's feed leagues and Wendron were promoted from the Combo.

You can jump up and down as much as you like but Mullion were not up to scratch.

When your ground was being inspected, no-one turned up to let the Grading Inspectors in to the building to look at the internals (changing rooms, etc) of the club and it was only luck someone eventually did arrive (who I believe was the chap that cleans up and was passing by) who wasn't even a committee member. That showed no respect to the SWPL.

That fact wouldn't go against the club but Mullion were sent a communication way in advance (think it was January) detailing the things that HAVE to be done/in place before they could enter the SWPL so is it the fault of the SWPL that these were not done?

The swpl has always favoured Devon clubs presumably be cause their base is in Exeter and seem to have little knowledge about distances between Devon and Cornwall. Is it not time we went back to south western league format? Since this new league was formed standard of football has not improved and there is little interest in teams from Devon amongst supporters.​

The League Officials are genuine lovers of local football - I believe they have never favoured one County over the other when it comes to dealing with clubs. The problem  with this is that they have made a mistake, as we all do from time to time, to suggest that if not let in, then Argyle would appeal does not really hold water, as they did not have a pitch, originally, that allowed unfettered access, so any appeal on those grounds would have failed. Of course the FA could have directed them to play their 'reserve's' at Home Park, had they appealed.

​Who missed out?

​Correct.

in todays sunday independant it says Plymouth will play at the former seale hayne college which Torquay have used for there training so all these stories about Bickleigh Barracks are rubbish these are the facts in writing in todays paper 

​It was true 100% - a deal had been done on Bickleigh and due to, I guess, the increased security it made it impossible and the MOD turned them away. They were looking for other grounds for a few days I believe, but then the Seale Hayne deal came up.

The swpl has always favoured Devon clubs presumably be cause their base is in Exeter and seem to have little knowledge about distances between Devon and Cornwall. Is it not time we went back to south western league format? Since this new league was formed standard of football has not improved and there is little interest in teams from Devon amongst supporters.​

​I think you'll find the SWPL officers have plenty of knowledge about the distances, the Chairman & Secretary (yes they're both based in Devon) visit virtually every club in the league every season and the Grounds Inspector is from West Cornwall anyway.

Complete joke, league obviously haven't thought about traveling expenses for any clubs. Would think this is a significant advantage for Plymouth Argyle over other teams in the league. Officials have shown favouritism to Argyle in a massive way. Feel sorry for a lot of teams in deep Cornwall especially Mousehole and Penzance.