Cornwall Football Forum

St Austell the ones to beat?

Will St Austell be the team to beat next season? There is every chance Bodmin will be a lot stronger next season, so they should provide stiff competition for the championship.

In all truth, will any other team in the league compete with St Austell and Bodmin next season?

Both St Austell and Bodmin have a big budgets to work with and good luck to them both.

Could the St Austell ideology be repeated for other clubs within the league?   Thoughts? 

Will St Austell be the team to beat next season? There is every chance Bodmin will be a lot stronger next season, so they should provide stiff competition for the championship.

In all truth, will any other team in the league compete with St Austell and Bodmin next season?

Both St Austell and Bodmin have a big budgets to work with and good luck to them both.

Could the St Austell ideology be repeated for other clubs within the league?   Thoughts? 

​Obviously they'll be the team to beat, they are the reigning champions!

Of course St Austell will be the team to beat we are the champions and every team will be out to topple us, but our boys will be up to the challenge. The usual suspects will be challenging by whom i mean Parkway and Bodmin i also think Tavistock and Godolphin will be up there too.

My prediction is that St Austell will bottle it, Lafferty has never stuck around anywhere for long and I think he will be gone by Christmas. Eddy to return to Helston, Brokenshire and Slateford to follow the money to whichever clubs offer an extra 5er and Reski to follow Hooper to the corner shop.

With all the usual suspects ready to dominate again will we see some ambition to go another step forward and promotion?

The Peninsula League now in its 9th.season has seen only one club accept the opportunity for progression through the Pyramid system.

The Officers of the league must be disappointed at the non response by clubs for the Peninsula League which was set up for this purpose.

Is it now the South Western League in disguise?

Only three Step 5 clubs in Devon, the rest about 150 miles away is the problem as to why clubs are not prepared to take promotion. The FA need to reorganise steps 5 & 6 on a more realistic geographical basis to allow clubs like St Austell, Bodmin and Parkway etc to move forwards, otherwise the status quo will remain in place. 

What benefits will become available to the clubs if the SWPL were to get Step 5 status, rather than stay at Step 6? 

​Automatic promotion to the Southern League South West division!

What benefits will become available to the clubs if the SWPL were to get Step 5 status, rather than stay at Step 6? 

​Automatic promotion to the Southern League South West division!

That goes without saying, I was thinking more on the financial side - grants etc.

Another thought is how much work would be needed on all the present grounds to get them up to Step 5 status qualification?

Over the years the SWL and SWPL has a good record in club vs club in the national competitions. I don't think any club would take promotion be it to the Western Premier or Southern South West.

If it provides easy financial gains for the clubs then that is a step in the right direction, although I would like to see the money go to real grass roots clubs.

My predictions1 St Austell 2 Parkway 3rd Bodmin 4TH GODOLPHIN ATLANTIC top scorers will be Levi Landricombe for Parkway and Adam Carter for Bodmin 

Been told Glyn hobbs is at bodmin, can't see past them if they keep a front 3 of hobbs carter and richards happy with miller in goal all they are missing is a top central midfielder. I would say parkway are strongest defensively but other than levi haven't got many goals now they've lost rocky. St austell will be up there but not strengthened enough in my eyes to retain title 

st Austell may not of strengthened much but what was there to strengthen, the team that Phil lafferty built last year was unfamiliar with each other and look what we achieved, 90 per cent of that squad is still here and with the experience from last season i believe will be even stronger.

st Austell may not of strengthened much but what was there to strengthen, the team that Phil lafferty built last year was unfamiliar with each other and look what we achieved, 90 per cent of that squad is still here and with the experience from last season i believe will be even stronger.

I understand this but I think each year you have to freshen things up and add 2-3 top quality players to keep pushing the squad. I've heard St austell have missed out on a number of top targets so it's not of want of trying.