Cornwall Football Forum

Early Premier Relegation Tips

Just thought it would be good to start a thread on the bottom now we have the top team tips too.

Looking at the current signings I can see Newquay to pull away from the bottom pack this year. They'll be lower mid table but that's a good improvement. I can't see that they've lost any major players but they've brought in some very good signings. Players like Gerken, the Annear brothers, Lloyd and Hodge to name a few to add to the current crop already there I can't see them struggling this year. Seems to be a club on the up with a successful young manager wanting to achieve things making Newquay the club they once were.

Falmouth being down there I can see struggling again this year. They've lost their best player in Hurst to Bodmin. Add to that Sims, Trevaskis and Peters.  Never even heard of any of their signings apart from Westgarth so can't comment on them too much but that's normally a sign. Club that size should be making better signings. With a manager travelling from Exeter every week and not being able to train his team let alone make signings, I can't see much happening. Can see Carey getting that job by the end of October to help bail them out with his contacts.

Elburton improved towards the end of last season beating Blazey and drawing with St Austell and Stoke Gabriel I can't really comment on as I don't know much about them. Same with Camelford who have been quiet.

I believe in current form it will be a tough season for Falmouth, whilst the rest seem to be showing signs of improvement.

Think Elburton have & will improve on last season, Camelford may well struggle again if they havent added to last seasons squad. Newquay have signed afew players the only one of note in my opinion is Hodgey. The rest cant be much better than was there last season as the players stated in the paper that have signed are from Wadebridge & Porthleven who both had unsuccesful seasons in the league below. Falmouth also will need to improve to avoid a basement battle. Im going for two from Camelford, Newquay, Falmouth & Torpoint.

Whilst signing for Falmouth and seing the training preseason, we will have a decent side. Of course only time will tell.

I imagine Newquay will still be down there, along with Blazey, Elburton.

Should at least be more competetive down there this year with relegation a real outcome for any of the above mentioned!

I'm sure they'll be around mid table Ben. Maybe Paul would be able to shed some more light on St Blazey.

Leedsunited I disagree it's only Hodge. From watching at Wadebridge last season Gerken is as good if not better due to his age giving him more potential. Didn't see much of Lloyd at Helston but I was impressed with him when he was at Sticker. Both Annear brothers have time on their side as well as goals in both of them. What I would say Newquay lacked most last year.

Mutant, unless you are Westgarth or the lad from Camelford, you'll be surprised at the difference between the West and Premier. With no major signings and only outgoings I can't see any improvement at all. You could be someone different and have played at the level before, I apologise if that is the case.

Also is there anyone from Elburton, Camelford, Stoke Gabriel or Cally, as Winston stated, who could comment on their ins and outs so far.

Falmouth, St Blazey and Newquay are the 3 biggest a clubs in this situation but I can see Newquay improving, Blazey being the same and Falmouth struggling further. Would be a sad day for any of these 3 clubs to be in West. All too established with great histories to be in that situation.

Leeds utd never seems to have anything positive to say towards Newquay, was he once accosiated with the club? And possibly surplus to requirement? Think the signings Newquay have made will move them up the table from there position last year, and I see Bodmin have signed a couple players from clubs that were at the bottom of the league last year, so like Newquay they must see potential in players or are just struggling to sign quality 

IronMan, I have been in the league before, but also higher elsewhere. There is a big difference between the East/West and the Prem, which is also why I think Helston may struggle.

Im not saying the team will be league contenders at all, I think we all know we have a lot of work to do in the early part of the season, after all a good start can set a lower league side up for the season.

The Annears and Hodge will improve the side, but as I said only time will tell.

Godfather I agree with you regarding Newquay. Think they've signed for the future and not a quick cash buy to propel them up the league. Slow and steady will help them build longer term.

Good to hear Mutant. You're right. Football isn't played on paper. I just fear for the club from the outside. I've been around long enough to know that signing big names don't guarantee success, I've just not heard of any of the others but I don't get around as much as I'd like in the West division. Only tended to watch the higher placed teams, that's how I know of the Newquay signings. 

Willow Tree, the other thread was about signings. I wanted to start a thread on tips. They do cross I guess. I'm new to all this so I'm sorry if it's not the usual method.

Just seen that Huw Morgan has signed for Newquay from Bodmin, good signing for Newquay will bring a wealth of experience along with Luke Hodge and Middleton for the youngsters to feed off.

Huw Morgan what a legend been there done it plenty of times won everything there is in local football, just a shame he wears awful boots and goes down easy in the opposition penalty area 

Edited by mockey jackson

Camelford only lost 1-2 to Bideford last night in a friendly, granted only early pre season but that's a good result, plenty of positives for Reg no doubt. Sasha at Newquay I think has made some great signings, Hodgie and Huw will be great for the younger players, quality players but top lads as well. Former Cornwall legend Dennis Annear, one of the best keepers the county has produced over the last couple of decades sons Tom and Jordan are as good as any young players in the county, seen quite a bit of them over the last couple of seasons and I would predict that 18 year old Jordan will score 25 plus especially with Hodgie up front with him. Along with the other signings can see Newquay finishing mid table, still a sleeping giant and along with Falmouth, Bodmin and Blazey got the biggest histories. Think the time to talk about relegation is around Christmas when all the teams have had at least half a season. Think St.Austell are still the team to beat personally but it's always harder to retain it. Bodmin will be well up for it this season knowing Gilbey and with the bonus of Kev playing another season in goal. Looking forward to a cracking season!!!  ⚽️?⚽️

I can see a long hard battle of a season between Stoke, Camelford, Helston and Newquay.

As for ins and outs at Elburton and Callington, I have heard Elburton have been quite healthy in their recruitment so I would expect to see an improvement from them this season, perhaps a solid mid-table finish.

Callington seemed to have lost and gained an equal amount, so i would expect them to consolidate after a great SWPL debut last season, maybe look to sneak up one or two places.

Falmouth will be fine for me, seemed to have made a couple of good signings. I always worry about Blazey, especially after this mass exodus. Such a fantastic club that i am sure will rise again.