Cornwall Football Forum

Local football on the decline?

Recently took a look at the population of the major towns in Cornwall who have local football clubs.

Bodmin 15,300

Callington 5,900

Falmouth 22,300

Launceston 12,200

Liskeard 9,500

Newquay 20,300

Penzance 17,900

Saltash 16,600

St Austell 27,400

Torpoint 7,700

Wadebridge 8,000

St Austell have, with their success in recent years, had fantastic crowds. Whilst  towns such as Bodmin, Falmouth, Launceston, Newquay, Penzance and Saltash have had very disappointing attendances.

Is it a case of lack of interest,people busy doing other things or the clubs failing to get people interested/involved? Some clubs are lucky to get .3% of the population attending games!

If clubs want to survive, they must ask themselves, are they doing enough to get people through the gate. As crowds of 40-50 make for no atmosphere and mightmake even more people lose interest.

I think it has been a trend that has slowly happened over the years.  There was a time even down to village clubs who had predominately local players.  Then money took over.  Local interest was unless the club was very successful starting to wane.  

Saturday was once regarded as football day.  Unfortunately now many, players are working on a Saturday and unable to get time off work. Likewise this applies to supporters. TV has an had an affect.  You can watch just about any sport now on a Saturday afternoon.  Youngsters and even married players are now finding other things to do.  The younger ones cant be bothered or find they cannot break into senior football, while the older married ones have family responsibilities.  You could also blame the cost of officials, many clubs do not take enough money at the gate to pay for the match officials. Small gates mean less people using the clubs bar amenities.  When you here of players being paid in excess of £100 a week then unless a club has a sugar daddy it cannot compete.  If you are unable to compete then you get smaller gates, smaller gates means less money spent behind the bar.   So yes local football is on the decline there are numerous reasons, but add them all together and you can see why.  . .  

It is very sad to see some clubs declining, but sadly, it all stems from money or lack of it.

But surely the clubs have to be more pro-active in getting more people through the gate and inviting more to get involved. It has happened at St Austell, so why cant it work at other clubs?

I think it has been a trend that has slowly happened over the years.  There was a time even down to village clubs who had predominately local players.  Then money took over.  Local interest was unless the club was very successful starting to wane.  

Saturday was once regarded as football day.  Unfortunately now many, players are working on a Saturday and unable to get time off work. Likewise this applies to supporters. TV has an had an affect.  You can watch just about any sport now on a Saturday afternoon.  Youngsters and even married players are now finding other things to do.  The younger ones cant be bothered or find they cannot break into senior football, while the older married ones have family responsibilities.  You could also blame the cost of officials, many clubs do not take enough money at the gate to pay for the match officials. Small gates mean less people using the clubs bar amenities.  When you here of players being paid in excess of £100 a week then unless a club has a sugar daddy it cannot compete.  If you are unable to compete then you get smaller gates, smaller gates means less money spent behind the bar.   So yes local football is on the decline there are numerous reasons, but add them all together and you can see why.  . .  

Who have you heard gets paid this sort of money? Or are you speculating 

There is not too much to do in St austell, other than watch rugby or football. Falmouth's population is a false reading, with a large   Transient, student content. Other teams closer to plymouth, may go to home park, as argyle have a large cornish following. Some other areas, like people have said, have a loyal rugby following or other sports linked to the geography of the area, water sports for example. Lots of others, may just have to work on a Saturday, as the employers hold all the cards, these days. Social media has impacted, with people being able to keep up to date with goings on, through many forums. There could be any number of factors, that account for low attendance percentages, let's not forget other, smaller teams in these areas that keep springing up, if people weren't playing, maybe they would be watching?

I think Sky Sports and BT Sport is the main issue. Go to the pub for the 12:45 kick off on BT Sport, home for Geoff and the boys (soccer special), Evening kick off on Sky Sports 5:30. With it being so available throughout the week and watching the quality of players on show, why would a new generation of young people go and watch a local team when they don't know anyone who is playing? Also with phones nowadays, people can stand on the sideline, and not say a word to people standing next to them, therefore not getting to know people or making "friends." It also costs £5 to get into some grounds, couple pints £7, burger/pasty £2.50, it adds up.

BIG AL - Did you get pied by the Cornwall FA? That's the only thing you ever talk about, Snore off

The best way to get people to local matches, would be to make it a family afternoon out. My two boys would love to go and watch some football, but with all the swearing you hear do you think any families are going to go more than once. Even the managers throw abuse at each other. Clean up the language, and the attendance figures at every ground would increase.

That'll never change,if anything it adds a bit of spice to the match n lets b honest unless ur deaf ur gonna hear swearing everywhere not just at the football grounds!

if the clubs gave away free beer ud defo have an increase in attendances,just a thought lol

No, not even free beer would bring the crowds back, the world is now totally mobile, which means you can do other things - anywhere.

Lots of other things to do today that we never had, and as I just said - you can get there.....easily.

Also as in a previous post....televised football, at all times, all day, every game....its having a big effect.

Go and watch your local team, mid-week, freezing cold, raining...or....stay in, in front the telly, warm and toasty, watching champions league football. A lot choose to stay in today.

Maybe clubs take supporters for granted. some clubs are run seperate from the club bar.does any club offer discounted drinks for supporters who've just watched a game.i understand lloydys comment about sky bt and younger people but what about players that have played for years and retired how many of these are lost from the game.what do they do now.

There are some very good points in this thread and its interesting to hear people views.....I agree, something has got to be done to get the supporters back, no matter which club you support. So my question to you all is how do clubs attract the supporters back in to the grounds, what would YOU like to see. May be you would like to see more facilities to entertain kids or as dave said " free beer".

Lets hear you suggestions guys, you never know, if you wish hard enough.

PS ..... lets try and keep it realistic  :thumbsup:

RVP

Football on TV is a big factor, especially when the weather is poor. 

The swearing and conduct of some players and those on the bench doesn't help either.

As a sports lover, I watch my local rugby team as well as the two football clubs and rugby gives a lead here in its emphasis on mini and youth rugby with large numbers of families supporting. The standards of behaviour required in that sport and respect shown to officials also sets a fine example

Perhaps junior matches could be played at lunchtime, prior to senior league games and young players and their families encouraged to stay and watch? Ditto for ladies football , with more prominence now for this section of the sport.

Also for the clubs with satellite TV , special offers on food and drink could be made to encourage some to stay after the local match.

We need to get kids away from their computer screens and tablets and outside playing and watching real sport. Whatever happened to the 2012 Olympic legacy? More sports grounds sold, funding withdrawn from sports popular in inner cities (ie Basketball) and diverted to better off voters hobby sports such as sailing and rowing....

Ultimately, embracing some of the ideas mentioned by others, it's all down to effective marketing by local clubs in whatever works in their locality and with a bit of hard work and more emphasis on the enjoyment of and participation in football, rather than the blinkered approach of success at all costs, local people will get involved with their teams.

Edited by Cornish Brazillian

Teams need to clean up their act. A winning team will always pull in the crowds. Get out into your community, sell your club and drum up support. 

A good football team with a good and active committee will bring results, in all aspects of the game. Make your club something the town or village can be proud of, and you'd be surprised how many local businesses will want to be associated with it. So clean the stands, give them a coat of fresh paint, paint the clubhouse.

Local businesses are always, in my experience, keen to be identified with success and will sponsor you. But, you have to clean your act up in all areas and that includes cleaning up the bad language. Families will come back if the club gets it right. Make your football club a place where people want to come and enjoy a Saturday afternoon.

Well said that man. We as a family would go for sure. At the moment I occasionally go with a mate. Weekends are generally family time, so at the moment,  because of all the bad language,  we as a family do other things.  Yes davegrose you do hear swearing everywhere,  but not to the extent you do at a local football match. Local clubs are sittimg on a little goldmine,  if they done things differently. 

Edited by silly billy

No, not even free beer would bring the crowds back, the world is now totally mobile, which means you can do other things - anywhere.

Lots of other things to do today that we never had, and as I just said - you can get there.....easily.

Also as in a previous post....televised football, at all times, all day, every game....its having a big effect.

Go and watch your local team, mid-week, freezing cold, raining...or....stay in, in front the telly, warm and toasty, watching champions league football. A lot choose to stay in today.

​A true supporter would always watch his local team, whatever the weather.

​The trouble being Keith.......they are getting less and less. The kids of today are brought up on the televised stuff, big names, big egoe's, big money. See every game....no mystery, no more. Local football is pale by comparison.

Yes, you can work your socks off to endear the community to you, but, they will drop you like a hot potato when things go wrong.

There are some very good points in this thread and its interesting to hear people views.....I agree, something has got to be done to get the supporters back, no matter which club you support. So my question to you all is how do clubs attract the supporters back in to the grounds, what would YOU like to see. May be you would like to see more facilities to entertain kids or as dave said " free beer".

Lets hear you suggestions guys, you never know, if you wish hard enough.

PS ..... lets try and keep it realistic  :thumbsup:

RVP

Teams need to clean up their act. A winning team will always pull in the crowds. Get out into your community, sell your club and drum up support. 

A good football team with a good and active committee will bring results, in all aspects of the game. Make your club something the town or village can be proud of, and you'd be surprised how many local businesses will want to be associated with it. So clean the stands, give them a coat of fresh paint, paint the clubhouse.

Local businesses are always, in my experience, keen to be identified with success and will sponsor you. But, you have to clean your act up in all areas and that includes cleaning up the bad language. Families will come back if the club gets it right. Make your football club a place where people want to come and enjoy a Saturday afternoon.

Where's your facts what players for what teams

The price of attending a game cannot be a factor, so perhaps its a matter of not finding the local game entertaining!

Do clubs publicise the games enough in the local community? Do they perhaps go into the town centres on a saturday morning, set up a table and talk to the shoppers. Go to schools and publicise games.

The price of attending a game cannot be a factor, so perhaps its a matter of not finding the local game entertaining!

Do clubs publicise the games enough in the local community? Do they perhaps go into the town centres on a saturday morning, set up a table and talk to the shoppers. Go to schools and publicise games.

I know I sound like a broken record, but can you really see a school head teacher publicising a local game. Clean it up, maybe,  but as it is there is no chance in this world.............

I've just returned from a second month long trip to Australia during which, I watched various different sports but mainly football.

Over there they are still getting decent crowds through the gates.  As someone who was been around various clubs at different non league levels I was impressed with the way they do things.

an exact replica of this wouldn't work in England due to the wear and tear on pitches all year round but could be implemented during the warmer months.

each team has a first, reserve and under 18s team, and they play the corresponding team from the visiting club one after the other at the same venue. This leads to more of a "club" outlook rather than being separate teams as there is more interaction, and increases the crowds at games as people are more inclined to stay on and watch, which in turn leads to an upturn in bar takings.

All clubs had teams to cater for all abilities, semi pro, amateur and social teams aswell as women's, masters and kids most of the way through.  Again, all helping to keep the car busy.

Most of the games I saw were at the top state level, technically the second level in the country but without promotion and relegation to the A league. 

The standard would probably sit somewhere near to the top end of the southern league regionals/mid southern prem but the entrance fee for an adult was equivalent to £5 for upto 3 games if you chose to make them all? including a programme, there aren't many (any?) clubs at that level in this country that you can get into for that price which I also believe is a problem in attracting people to games. 

The lower level games which are more like SWPL level are generally free entry and once again, 3 games are on offer. Larger crowds and busy bars are the norm at these games too.

I guess my main point is, making people feel part of something is the way forwards, whether that's someone in the women's team or masters team who will never play for the first team, will bring rewards long term.

I've just returned from a second month long trip to Australia during which, I watched various different sports but mainly football.

Over there they are still getting decent crowds through the gates.  As someone who was been around various clubs at different non league levels I was impressed with the way they do things.

an exact replica of this wouldn't work in England due to the wear and tear on pitches all year round but could be implemented during the warmer months.

each team has a first, reserve and under 18s team, and they play the corresponding team from the visiting club one after the other at the same venue. This leads to more of a "club" outlook rather than being separate teams as there is more interaction, and increases the crowds at games as people are more inclined to stay on and watch, which in turn leads to an upturn in bar takings.

All clubs had teams to cater for all abilities, semi pro, amateur and social teams aswell as women's, masters and kids most of the way through.  Again, all helping to keep the car busy.

Most of the games I saw were at the top state level, technically the second level in the country but without promotion and relegation to the A league. 

The standard would probably sit somewhere near to the top end of the southern league regionals/mid southern prem but the entrance fee for an adult was equivalent to £5 for upto 3 games if you chose to make them all? including a programme, there aren't many (any?) clubs at that level in this country that you can get into for that price which I also believe is a problem in attracting people to games. 

The lower level games which are more like SWPL level are generally free entry and once again, 3 games are on offer. Larger crowds and busy bars are the norm at these games too.

I guess my main point is, making people feel part of something is the way forwards, whether that's someone in the women's team or masters team who will never play for the first team, will bring rewards long term.

​I think the final paragraph is a very good point. Making people feel part of something is surely the way forward. But how many clubs do this?

​Plus Australians are all p***heads. The weather helps too.