Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay AFC vs Port Talbot Town - Fri 17 July 7.30pm

Newquay AFC vs Port Talbot Town - Fri 17 July 7.30pm

Pre-Season starts here for the new look Peppermints... Just £4 / £2 admission, clubhouse open from 6.30pm. Come and see what The Welsh Premier League have to offer Cornwall, first and beside the seaside !!!

friday-17th-july-7-30pm-mount-wise-stadi

Edited by Nemesis

Very realistic admission fees Nemesis, im sure you will have a healthy attendance. Good luck. Im sure Port Talbot will bring & mix afew players as two games in two days is hard on any side. Also with St.Austell the following day i would think that if the club have done their homework maybe their more seasoned players might be kept back for Saturday? Just a thought.

Will be interesting to see how the new look Newquay team perform, no pressure, up against a professional outfit and as its their first preseason game, I'm sure the manager will be looking to test the players fitness levels and mental attitude as well  as link up play between new and old players. 

The evening is more about the start of our 125th season, it will be good to see how the new players fare and if they are upto the challenge of SWPL Premier football. The weather is set fair, the ground is looking the best it has ever been, the side terrace has been upgraded along with the tea hut area and it is hoped that a few holidaymakers will be enticed in by the low admission charges.

St Austell may get an easier ride, depends how many beers the Welsh lads sink in Newquay !

Edited by Nemesis

Don't forget,  Mount Wise Stadium is the place to be tonight,  seems to be a buzz on social media,  Charing FC from Kent have arrived and will be supporting the Peppermints,  hopefully a good crowd to see how Newquay fare against the Welsh Premier league side.

Just back from mt wise with about 10 mins left with Newquay winning 1-0 with a goal from sub Josh fearon  In the 1st half Newquay should of been at least 3-0 up with the amount of chances they had very impressive Newquay side Huw Morgan will be a real good signing he was heliping the young players out a lot the 1 weakness i thought for Newquay was the no5 he was outpaced time and time again another weakness was they need a goal scorer but they have the man who came off the bench for that in Luke HODGE who helped with the goal that josh fearon rifled into a unguarded net the players that impressed me tonight where Sam Fearon Hugh Morgan and man of the match by a mile in my opinion Newquay captain Sam Cooper awesome display also Newquay goalie made a save in the 2nd half i dont know how he made it it was outstanding . Well DONE Newquay outstanding display but Port Talbot where poor can see Newquay doing really well this year but i still think the G will end up higher in the league . My dog Smokie enjoyed the match as well but he was getting cold so i left before the end of the match pity the crowd was bigger maybe 200 i would say lots of people gone down to see Truro play Yeovil i expect 

I watch a fair bit of Welsh footy on S4C, download one of the TV apps on your phone, it normally crops up. Port have a squad of 18 with them, all got a game, will be the same tomorrow v St Austell. They'll have a few more fans down, many couldn't make it tonight. Don't take anything away from Newquay, this was one of the best performances seen in recent years. Jordan Annear looks a livewire up front, Hayden Turner when out wide was superb, Sam Cooper is just immense... I could go on, but to be honest, many of the players are new to me.

I watch a fair bit of Welsh footy on S4C, download one of the TV apps on your phone, it normally crops up. Port have a squad of 18 with them, all got a game, will be the same tomorrow v St Austell. They'll have a few more fans down, many couldn't make it tonight. Don't take anything away from Newquay, this was one of the best performances seen in recent years. Jordan Annear looks a livewire up front, Hayden Turner when out wide was superb, Sam Cooper is just immense... I could go on, but to be honest, many of the players are new to me.

Well done Newquay, the signs are for an improved season. 

just out of interest what is the welsh premier league compared to in the english league system? eg is the welsh prem like the conference premier in standard?

i only ask because TNS who play in champions league qualifiers must be fairly good in professional terms. 

ive never watched welsh football but my family live about 4 miles from TNS ground so may have a watch some day  

I thought newquay's first friendly was very good last night the keeper did what he had to do, which wasn't a great deal till the second half. The two center halves  dealt with most things quite well, Sam cooper a man mountain back there and the No5, tho got caught out of position a couple of times was quick enough to get around and rectify it. Plus I think he has just stepped up a league?  Hue Morgan just in front of them with his experience will be valuable. The young lad up front again I think he's stepped up as well, looked lively and will I'm sure be a good asset with his pace. So I think the spine of the side looks pretty good and with the pace on each flank, it looks pretty imposing going forward. General opinion I got out there was that it was a great improvement on last season. Saying that I know one swallow doesn't make a summer but I think the signs look good for this season. All the best Newquay for the for coming season