Cornwall Football Forum

AFC ST AUSTELL VS PORT TALBOT TOWN (WELSH PREMIER LEAGUE) - SAT 18TH JULY 1.30pm KO - PRE-SEASON FRIENDLY

AFC ST AUSTELL 

V

PORT TALBOT TOWN

SAT 18TH JULY 2015

KICK OFF 1.30pm

ADM: £5 and £3 concessions

POLTAIR PARK 

TREVARTHIAN ROAD

ST AUSTELL

PL25 4LR

50/50 DRAW,

MATCH DAY PROGRAMME

HOT & COLD REFRESHMENTS

​Why a 1.30ko and not 3pm ?

As a committee member I have been told that Phil Lafferty and his players have dedicated their performance against Port Talbot to Director of Football Lea Cooper for all his work on and off the pitch. 

Great touch lads, roll on the start of the season!! 

Regards,

Digger

They only travelled with 18 players including 2 goal keepers and used 14 players last night against Newquay. So I would say both cornish sides played against there first team. Port must of been tired after playing 2 games in less than 24 hours. So would probably be the happier team with this result. Think Newquay could surprise a few teams this year after there performance last night, hence it being there first friendly together as a new squad. 

It's nothing to be ashamed of if newquay didn't play there first team, it's a good run out for the boys im sure! I spoke to there striker in the bar afterwards and asked him how many played last night, he told me that 1 first teamer played 90 and 4 more come on and the rest was there under 21 side. So only one of there players can actually say they were tired today! It was worth the trip down from liskeard to watch this game! 

At least our pitch is flat and having walked on it last night would say it looks pretty good. You can't make 2 teams out of 18 players. Sour grapes bb4. Yes I expect you will finish up above us again this season but you may well suffer from short-memory syndrome.

Maybe if a representative from both clubs posted Port Talbots line-ups, this great debate of 'who had a harder game' could be solved!!

All I know is, Port Talbot were a VERY tidy outfit at Poltair today, and St.Austell were made to work extremely hard.

I wasn't present at Mount Wise last night, but such comments along the lines of 'the Newquay keeper had very little to do', 'St.Austell will hammer this team' and 'typical Welsh side, lacked skill and pace', I find it very hard to believe that Newquay faced the same side that St.Austell did. 

At least our pitch is flat and having walked on it last night would say it looks pretty good. You can't make 2 teams out of 18 players. Sour grapes bb4. Yes I expect you will finish up above us again this season but you may well suffer from short-memory syndrome.

He suffers from something that's for sure baldy,think it's getting paid too much n drinking what he wants lol

Spoke to a couple of lads after the game before they headed off to Newquay for the night, they confirmed that only the left back played the night before which confirms to me the team Newquay played were weaker. A good win for Newquay and I take nothing away from their result. Good touch from the Talbot management inviting us to there ground next season.

Hope the injury suffered not to serious as I know me Digger and Jason Powell all thought it looked nasty.

JBx

From Port Talbot website:

"The past weekend saw Port Talbot Town enjoy a mini-tour of Cornwall with two games being played. On Friday evening we went down to a 1-0 defeat against Newquay with Manager, Andy Dyer, fielding a young and inexperienced side.

On Saturday we travelled to play AFC St. Austell and in an entertaining game honours were even after a 2-2 draw. Te home side went in front but the Steelmen levelled through Leon Jeanne but within a minute the home side were back in front when they converted a penalty. That was the way things stayed at the interval and in the second half the visitors played some good football and got back on level terms when Joe Clarke equalised. The one negative from the weekend was the ankle injury to Luke Bowen who left the St. Austell ground on crutched and was due to visit hospital today. We all hope that the injury is not a serious one and that Luke is okay and will be back in action shortly.

It was a good run against a St. Austell side who last season reached the semi-final of the F.A. Vase."