Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL Charity Bowl

Godolphin Atlantic 0 AFC St Austell 4

Scorers - Liam Eddy 3 and Danny Brook. 

Congratulations to the lads on a splendid win and a great start to the season, and well done to Liam on your hat trick and Danny on your first goal for the club.

I will be interested in how the Digger/John Bridge/Dave Grose trip went !

Edited by midlandlilywhite

Well done to St Austell today - big budget - big players - you shouldn't lose a game this coming season .... 

Whatever the budget, whoever the players are, St Austell were on the brink of going out of business only a few years ago.

There are many clubs within the Carlsberg SWPL who could emulate St Austell, but do they have the will?

Edited by pastyman

In reply to Pastymsn et al, I'm sure there are many clubs in the division with the will to do well otherwise they might as well pack it up! I guess it helps if you can splash the cash to attract mercenary financial opportunists but this can create a problem if another team finds a willing financial backer who's prepared to pay more as these folk will inevitably follow the money trail and move on as we've seen in recent years. Here's to a sporting and profitable season - Cheers! 

In reply to Pastymsn et al, I'm sure there are many clubs in the division with the will to do well otherwise they might as well pack it up! I guess it helps if you can splash the cash to attract mercenary financial opportunists but this can create a problem if another team finds a willing financial backer who's prepared to pay more as these folk will inevitably follow the money trail and move on as we've seen in recent years. Here's to a sporting and profitable season - Cheers! 

No, it is not simply down to attracting "mercenery financial opportunists", but getting people to support the club. That is by getting people involved with the club and feeling part of it, encouraging local businesses to advertise and getting more through the gate. The future of any club is in the hands of the Chairman and his committee.

Edited by pastyman