Cornwall Football Forum

Proposal from SWPL - be interested to read your thoughts

South West Peninsula League:

NEW Under 21 Floodlit Midweek Cup(s)

Following previous discussions, and a further board meeting I write below to outline a proposal for clubs in the SWPL to consider:

2015/16 Season

The SWPL run, with the support of Devon & Cornwall FA’s development teams, two Cup competitions.

These will be a Devon floodlit Cup & a Cornwall floodlit Cup, both of which will be played Midweek under lights.

The ages of players must be between 16 and 21 years of age. Players aged 21 on the 1st September each season can play for the duration of that season, even if becoming 22 during the season itself.

SWPL clubs in all 3 Divisions that have their own floodlit ground may enter. Clubs without a floodlit ground may enter providing they can gain written approval to stage matches on a floodlit ground.

The use of 3G artificial floodlit grounds are permitted provided that they are on the FA register.

The competition will run on the knock out principle and ties will be decided over 90 minutes, and if required penalties (but NOT extra time) however depending on entries we may consider two legged or round robin type matches so that each entrant plays at least 1 home and 1 away fixture.

The final to be staged on a neutral ground. (Devon will be played at Coach Road, Newton Abbot). There may also be a play off final between the Winners of Devon & the Winners of Cornwall on a neutral ground.

In the first instance only basic rules will apply, easy multiple player registrations, cup tied yes but minimum appearances no etc.

In the first instance Phil Hiscox will administer the Cup from an administration point. Both County FA’s to appoint referees, club linesmen except in final where 3 officials will be supplied.

The SWPL will provide perpetual Cups and medals for the finalists.

Closing date for entries will be 1st November with matches scheduled to be played between January and May.

SWPL clubs who wish to enter a side must apply in writing by the 1st November and include an entry fee of £25. Application letters must include details of the floodlit ground to be used for home fixtures.

2016/17 Season

THE PLAN IS FOR THE CUP TO ACT AS A POSSIBLE INTRODUCTION FOR A FUTURE UNDER 21 MINI FLOODLIT LEAGUE (max 8 teams per division).

Such a league would operate from season 2016/17 onwards. Further rules and administration of such a league would have to be drawn up and agreed.

The idea is getting a fairly good response on the SWPL's forum.

Isn't it one way, when we are all suggesting that the youngsters aren't interested so much in football anymore, to be giving them the opportunity to get a regular 90 minutes under their belt?

Could the pitches stand up to extra games? Well, I guess there might not be too many extra matches depending on the number of clubs entering! 

This is a similar idea to the Wyvern league which is run in Dorset/Hampshire. The Wyvern is a full reserve team league which used to have a cap on age limits I think it was only 4 over 23's, but have changed over last few years since I've been down here.

The league works well as all clubs have reserve sides which were pulled in from their respective leagues, it was/is highly competitive with its own cup competition.

Creating another league in midweek aimed at under 21's only seems a bit to much as the club first and reserve sides then have to play on Saturday and fill swpl/jccl/ecpl fixtures, but could pulling these reserves sides into a separate league in midweek be a way forward. 

Not my idea just what I have seen working in other regions. 

Actually  I think it is a really good idea. It will give  clubs the opportunity  to look at talented young players who may not yet have broken  in to first team.Other players who have been short of minutes can get some and a great  opportunity  to compare the best from the reserves with youngsters already  in first team squads by playing  them alongside each other.

Too many youngsters leave or get impatient because they are not playing, this provides a quality  alternative. 

If you have the appropriate  facilities  and a tolerant  groundsman,go for it.