Cornwall Football Forum

Step 5 league for Cornwall and Devon ?

Just been reading an article outlining the possibility of a step 5 league south of Taunton. Is this pie in the sky or would clubs like St Austell,Bodmin and Parkway for example want to embrace it if it were to happen?

Having lived outside of Cornwall for 20 plus years now, it seems to me like an overhaul of the league structure is long overdue. I am not interested in reading the usual cheap shots aimed at clubs for not taking promotion. We have clubs in the CSWPL good enough to compete at a higher level, if only the proper league infrastructure was in place.

Are there enough teams in Devon and Cornwall that have appropriate ground grading for step 5 in order to make up another league

Ground grading can be worked on, I don't know the exact grades clubs have but Barnstaple Town, Buckland Athletic and Willand Rovers from the Western Premier all have at least step 5 grading and I would imagine they would have to move in from the Western Premier should there be a Step 5 league for Devon and Cornwall.

Edited by tango602
additional text

Must admit that the ground grading issue may put some clubs off. I presume there would also be an impact on entry level to FA Cup and Vase if this goes through.

Only impact I can see is that SWP 1 West and 1 East clubs would be able to enter the FA Cup subject to meeting the requirements, Vase would be a lot trickier as presumably you would have to get the Cornwall Combination, East Cornwall Premier, Plymouth and West Devon Combination Premier, Devon and Exeter Premier, South Devon Premier and North Devon Premier up to Step 7 standard so that clubs from those leagues could enter

Edited by tango602
Missed some information

Have to agree that the current state of affairs relating to clubs winning the league title and then refusing promotion is more a case of them wishing to be a "big fish in a small pond". It is quite apparent that the clubs with a massive budget, win the league!

Those with a more modest budget, simply have no chance of winning the league.

What chance does a club paying £30 a game to a player have in retaining a player, when another club comes in and offers £150 a game plus a bonus in scoring goals?

If a club can afford a large player budget, it can afford promotion!

This idea of a step 5 league "south of Taunton " sounds a good idea but is there many teams who would be in it who are not already playing CSWPL football. You might as well apply for the CSWPL Premier to be level 5 and all you have done is move the will they take promotion question one level higher 

The problem is some clubs are paying well over the odds for this standard of football.  If you lived in the midlands or London players would be getting half that amount despite playing at a higher level.  Big fish in a small pond comes to mind.  .   

One thing I think could help the clubs is for all the clubs to pay in to the league a sort of travel levy.   This to be shared out at the end of the season on mileage traveled. 

The problem is some clubs are paying well over the odds for this standard of football.  If you lived in the midlands or London players would be getting half that amount despite playing at a higher level.  Big fish in a small pond comes to mind.  .   

One thing I think could help the clubs is for all the clubs to pay in to the league a sort of travel levy.   This to be shared out at the end of the season on mileage traveled. 

Final para - interesting idea. 

Absolutely not. That would mean some clubs subsidising others based on where they are.

Edited by TheolderIgetthebetterIwas
addition