Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - Tuesday, October 20th 2015

While I fully understand the comments made on this thread, Callington to Helston is only 62 miles. I also appreciate that not all Callington players live in Callington and that roads are busier at the time of day they have to travel but it's impossible to give every Club home floodlit fixtures where the visiting team are restricted to a specific travel time limit. Such things are taken into account with early and late season fixtures at grounds where floodlights are not available and where kick-offs are scheduled earlier than 7.30. Be assured that a great deal of thought and common sense goes into the fixture process and Clubs are able to make specific requests in advance regarding their fixtures. As I hinted at in my previous post, if Callington did have floodlights in place, the trip to Helston may not have been necessary in order to fulfill their quota of midweek games.

Regarding the absence of floodlights at Callington, they had until March 31st 2015 to get all of their facilities compliant with Step 6 FA Regulations but have found the process far more problematic than they imagined. The FA now insist that any Club applying for promotion from Step 7 must have everything in place for Step 6 by 31st March in the year in which they apply for promotion - floodlights and a seated stand for 50 persons are excepted but Clubs must have any necessary planning permissions and confirmed funding in place for them by the same date. The FA are also currently carrying out inspections of all Step 6 Clubs nationally and have set a deadline of March 31st 2016 for ALL Clubs to be fully compliant - except for floodlights - or face the possibility of relegation at the end of the season!

Things are never easy but they seem to be getting more difficult for Clubs and Leagues!

Thanks for clarification John - things certainly seem more difficult for clubs, especially those wanting or considering taking promotion.

While I fully understand the comments made on this thread, Callington to Helston is only 62 miles. I also appreciate that not all Callington players live in Callington and that roads are busier at the time of day they have to travel but it's impossible to give every Club home floodlit fixtures where the visiting team are restricted to a specific travel time limit. Such things are taken into account with early and late season fixtures at grounds where floodlights are not available and where kick-offs are scheduled earlier than 7.30. Be assured that a great deal of thought and common sense goes into the fixture process and Clubs are able to make specific requests in advance regarding their fixtures. As I hinted at in my previous post, if Callington did have floodlights in place, the trip to Helston may not have been necessary in order to fulfill their quota of midweek games.

Regarding the absence of floodlights at Callington, they had until March 31st 2015 to get all of their facilities compliant with Step 6 FA Regulations but have found the process far more problematic than they imagined. The FA now insist that any Club applying for promotion from Step 7 must have everything in place for Step 6 by 31st March in the year in which they apply for promotion - floodlights and a seated stand for 50 persons are excepted but Clubs must have any necessary planning permissions and confirmed funding in place for them by the same date. The FA are also currently carrying out inspections of all Step 6 Clubs nationally and have set a deadline of March 31st 2016 for ALL Clubs to be fully compliant - except for floodlights - or face the possibility of relegation at the end of the season!

Things are never easy but they seem to be getting more difficult for Clubs and Leagues!

I consider that 62 miles each way is one heck of a journey if you do not leave work until 5pm. Just a LITTLE CONSIDERATION AND COMMON SENSE  when arranging the fixtures would avoid this set of circumstances. It really does make me think that a league devoted to Cornish teams only would be a much better scenario. There is no advantage from what I can see of having to trek into Devon to play, the teams are no better and the crowds no larger - in fact I maintain that when teams are playing more local football, the atmosphere is more charged and there is much more interest from the supporter point of view. Also expenses of travel would be cut drastically. The cornwall fa  could help by not bringing refs from Exeter along with their expenses to officiate !

I also read, the referee for the Helston - Callington game was from Saltash, absolute madness!

I consider that 62 miles each way is one heck of a journey if you do not leave work until 5pm. Just a LITTLE CONSIDERATION AND COMMON SENSE  when arranging the fixtures would avoid this set of circumstances. It really does make me think that a league devoted to Cornish teams only would be a much better scenario. There is no advantage from what I can see of having to trek into Devon to play, the teams are no better and the crowds no larger - in fact I maintain that when teams are playing more local football, the atmosphere is more charged and there is much more interest from the supporter point of view. Also expenses of travel would be cut drastically. The cornwall fa  could help by not bringing refs from Exeter along with their expenses to officiate !

I also read, the referee for the Helston - Callington game was from Saltash, absolute madness!

This certainly seems the trend these days the further they travel, the bigger their expense claim and the bigger the bill for the hosting club - a complete disgrace !

This certainly seems the trend these days the further they travel, the bigger their expense claim and the bigger the bill for the hosting club - a complete disgrace !

Lack of referees at this level means to ensure that the same referees don't have the same teams over and over again that travel may increase. The league and all referees have agreed a cap this year though to reduce the costs on the clubs!