Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay vs Helston

Went up to watch Newquay vs Helston play but think i should of stayed home it was a awful game what i saw of it with 20 mins to play but i see Helston are now winning 0-2 and they dont really deserve it Newquay should of at least scored 1 in the first half but they are just too light weight in attack .You got to give credit to both teams playing in awful conditions . Its going to be a long remainder of the season for Newquay and they will continue to struggle Luke Whelden needs to  be back in the team because Young Jack Bowyer is struggling .Had to come back home my poor little dog was soaking wet and cold and i didnt want to be reported to the rspca .Onto next week back watching the G VS Launceston my man of the match goes to the 2 no5 of either side today 

Newquay really on the slide, whats going on at Mt.Wise? League form is shocking, is that no win in 11 games in the league now 100% Cornish? Why is the gulf between the Towns Premier Club & Godolphin so big?

I can remember the days when Newquay were a formidable team with the Pollard twins !

Godolphin is more of a family club most of there players have been with the G for years the club is ran so well im not saying Newquay is not but something is wrong there with so many players leaving it does upset me a bit to see such a fine team struggling i remember so many glory days up there watching  the 3 Street boys so many good players up there but the Pollard twins before my time but my dad use to talk about them a lot . What Newquay needs to do is get 2 big centre forwards for a start like the G have in the Beast Kayne Trevasskis and Big Phil LOWRY they are big buggers but i found watching Newquay on Saturday boring and u never get that when u watch the G PLAY . The only player i thought  had a good game on satday was Koniber Trathen he was brilliant .Ithink Sacha Wheatmans days are numbered up there i think Newquay should get ex Godolphin manager Tony McKELLAR in charge . It could be another embarassing score when they play Bodmin i expect it will be them cant see Mousehole doing much against them so Newquay got a lot of work to do think they should put Luke Whelden back in the team as soon as possible and about time Matt Saunders was given a chance from the 2nd team . Hope Newquay dont get relegated because the G like gettin 6 Points off of them sorry about that but Newquay are not in the same class as the G at the moment 

Newquay have struggled ever since the Flybe sponsor went. At the time the budget allowed some of the best players in the league above to play in division 1 west, as well as having 3 of the best managers in Cornish football at the same time in Hooper, Laffety and Hunkin. Even though promotion came, a few local players couldn't get a game after coming through the youth and went Godolphin. Since then these players have developed into a decent group of local players by making the way up the divisions whilst Newquay had to almost start again when the management and players left and having to rely on inexperienced players. I would say Newquay would need to sign players with Swpl premier experimence and that will be at the club for years to come

The new manager this season brought in a number of players from the lower division together with a couple of premiership players nearing the end of playing at this level, unfortunately it has not worked despite a spirited start to the season. The 2 young strikers have bags of pace and show fantastic effort but just do not find the back of the net. There is no strong, dominant player in midfield and the back 4 is always changing (recently lost Cooper and let Carhart go and for god knows what reason Elliott, possibly the best footballer at the club, is playing in the reserves). The goalie is great as was his replacement when he was injured earlier in the season. Looks like St Blazey have strengthen there squad and will start to collect points, Camelford are struggling, unless Newquay can get a really good centre mid they will be in the bottom three.

I too ventured up to Mount Wise on Saturday. I have to say I thought Newquay were the better side for much of the first half but lacked a real threat in front of goal. They could and probably should have been at least two up by the break but were denyed by a fine save from the Helston keeper and a very good penalty shout that looked a certainty from where I was. Helston took the lead mid way thru the second half with a fine strike from distance which was probably helped by the blustery wind, I had to feel sorry for the keeper as its flight path was all over the place. This really knocked the stuffing out of the Peppermints and a second goal came only a few minutes later. The final goal well taken but Newquay had totally had the wind taken from their sales at this point. The biggest disappointment was the behaviour of the young gentleman from Helston who had quite cleary been in the bar for quite some time and continued to drink from a lemonaide bottle ( not sure of its contents, but it certainly wasnt lemonaide) durring the first half. His continued foul language was totally disrespectful to the women and children sat in the stands, to the point where most people left that area. No one minds a bit of banter, but this was way over the top in my opinion.

I too ventured up to Mount Wise on Saturday. I have to say I thought Newquay were the better side for much of the first half but lacked a real threat in front of goal. They could and probably should have been at least two up by the break but were denyed by a fine save from the Helston keeper and a very good penalty shout that looked a certainty from where I was. Helston took the lead mid way thru the second half with a fine strike from distance which was probably helped by the blustery wind, I had to feel sorry for the keeper as its flight path was all over the place. This really knocked the stuffing out of the Peppermints and a second goal came only a few minutes later. The final goal well taken but Newquay had totally had the wind taken from their sales at this point. The biggest disappointment was the behaviour of the young gentleman from Helston who had quite cleary been in the bar for quite some time and continued to drink from a lemonaide bottle ( not sure of its contents, but it certainly wasnt lemonaide) durring the first half. His continued foul language was totally disrespectful to the women and children sat in the stands, to the point where most people left that area. No one minds a bit of banter, but this was way over the top in my opinion.

Yeh, he was a real pain, the town of Helston was probably glad to get rid of him for a few hours. Newquay FC...no pasties!!

Newquays best player Kyran Coniber Trathen has returned to play in Sweden why was he signed in the 1st place if they knew he was going back there i think Newquay will need a miracle to stay up just hoping they get there act together and stay up the league wont be the same without them in the league they now need a new centre half and they are hard to find Good LUCK to the rest of teh season to Newquay