Cornwall Football Forum

ANOTHER WEATHER WARNING!!

17 hours ago, Richard Chown said:

I'm feeling your pain Older.  Penryns surface has always been like a billiard table.  The water tables are at capacity.  As soon as the pitches drain another sustained downpour from a low pressure system hitting from the Atlantic. 

The problem is, with all the rain we've had filling up the water tables, and keeping them filled, the finer soil particles are at the top.

When the ground is like this, its the same as filling a test tube with water, and putting soil into it (back to school science) the larger particles migrate to the bottom, leaving all the silt at the top. Fact, one millimetre of silt on the surface will slow a drainage system down by over 90%

Even some of the professional pitches are struggling.

It's this silt that's keeping the water at the surface, and slowing down water filtration through the surface.

Normally you can slit the surface to help this, but of course, at this time you can't get a machine on to do it.

A vicious circle, all you can do is wait.

9 hours ago, Keith B said:

My first preference leeds would be football -  my local side Launceston v St Blazey in the SWPL. But, if that's washed out, the Cornish All Blacks - Launceston RFC. 

A trip to Polson looking likely then Keith? Although watching the All Blacks cant be entertaining at present!

6 hours ago, Paul said:

Well after today's weather and the storms forcast for tonight and Monday it'll take a miracle to see any football on Saturday.  

See where your coming from Paul, i believe there is rain nearly everyday at some point falling on to already very wet, saturated ground. The alarming thing for some teams is that some clubs have already played 22/23/24 games so even if there pitch is 50/50 they dont necesseraly need to risk further damage to or even ruining it  completely as they have already got the games in, if you see what i mean? Bodmin, Parkway etc are still in cup games & behind in league fixtures so when games are cancelled its a case of catch up. Obviously if the pitches are un-playable, it cant be played, but sides that have played more games have a little less pressure to get games On. Again, with what we have had, & forecast, i cant see much drying out before next weekend sadly, let alone midweek! Going to be a lot of midweek fixtures at the end of the season for some teams, which can to effect the results as very rare away sides are at full strength for mid-week fixtures.

2 hours ago, leedsunited said:

See where your coming from Paul, i believe there is rain nearly everyday at some point falling on to already very wet, saturated ground. The alarming thing for some teams is that some clubs have already played 22/23/24 games so even if there pitch is 50/50 they dont necesseraly need to risk further damage to or even ruining it  completely as they have already got the games in, if you see what i mean? Bodmin, Parkway etc are still in cup games & behind in league fixtures so when games are cancelled its a case of catch up. Obviously if the pitches are un-playable, it cant be played, but sides that have played more games have a little less pressure to get games On. Again, with what we have had, & forecast, i cant see much drying out before next weekend sadly, let alone midweek! Going to be a lot of midweek fixtures at the end of the season for some teams, which can to effect the results as very rare away sides are at full strength for mid-week fixtures.

Could Bodmin not play some games at the Dragon centre or would the league not allow it on artificial surface.

Well the Priory is soaked so the game against Witheridge is Off tonight, a lot more games to follow this weekend i reckon as more rain to come on already soaking wet pitches! Play a game on most surfaces this week & you will damage it for the season. Although most are un-playable anyway at present so do not have that worry

8 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Well the Priory is soaked so the game against Witheridge is Off tonight, a lot more games to follow this weekend i reckon as more rain to come on already soaking wet pitches! Play a game on most surfaces this week & you will damage it for the season. Although most are un-playable anyway at present so do not have that worry

With the benefit of hindsight leedsunited, should the Vase match have been played when it was?